Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fire Larry Michael

Andre The Giant

If I bought the team, the first guy I’d fire would be Larry.  This Redskins organization is constantly over-confident and lacks self awareness.  No one is more emblematic of that than Larry (“the Redskins have better intangibles in this matchup.”)

He’s argued in the past that he’s a Redskins employee and is supposed to be biased. I’d argue he’s a holdover from the old Snyder regime (e.g. Karl Swanson) that established a paranoid, small-minded, and frankly losing culture.  The organization has slowly been removing itself of those legacy individuals (e.g. Dennis Green), and brought in new Business Leaders.  In order to keep moving progress forward, and right the ship, Larry needs to go next.

There’s a reason the team hardly ever wins two games in a row. They win one and then think they’re great. No one perpetuates this more than Larry. 

Loyal guy = yes.  Part of the go forward solution = no. 

blaming a play by play guy as the failures of this organization. Laughable.  Dan Snyder is the common theme and a con-artist diehard fan.  If he wanted to do it right, he would blow it this **** up and restart.

But redskins fans appear not to buy the "remodeling of a ****ty foundation."

26 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

blaming a play by play guy as the failures of this organization. Laughable.  Dan Snyder is the common theme and a con-artist diehard fan.  If he wanted to do it right, he would blow it this **** up and restart.

But redskins fans appear not to buy the "remodeling of a ****ty foundation."

No question Dan Snyder is the true culprit, but he ain’t leaving.  The best the organization can do is to fill the rest of it up with professionals that are rowing in the same direction. 

Larry’s messaging style is the legacy Dan Snyder strategy (“Nothing to see here”). The new Business Leaders are being more open about season tickets being available.  Personally, I prefer their honest take. Larry flies in the face of that. 

To change an organization, you often need to remove those who resist. I want to support an organization that is accountable and realistic about what it has and still needs. That’s not how Larry Michael is at all. 

I realize he’s only the messenger, but he’s also a key cog in a losing culture. Change the message. Be more honest with your fans.   That’s not Larry’s personality.  I’d replace him with someone like Al Galdi (who’s in a different role now, but is outstanding and would represent the organization well). 

I find him annoying as hell, but Larry "No 'S'" Michael is not to blame for the Redskins failures on the field.  Any player that is listening to him and getting overconfident due to the words of the play-by-play, franchise talking piece, needs to be cut immediately.  Fans, on the other hand, they may believe his tripe, but that is a different story, though sad just the same.

The Redskins have had multiple Monday Night Football blowout losses under four different coaches (Spurrier, Zorn, Shanahan, and Gruden).  It hasn’t really mattered who the coach is (Gibbs and Shottenheimer are exceptions). 

I think there are two common denominators:

1) Snyder

2) Losing Organizational Culture

You can’t change #1, but you can try and change #2. Best bet to improve the culture is to eliminate those that don’t reflect a professional, winning, realistic attitude. 

I disagree with you. I think Larry (and those in the organization who think like him) are a huge part of the problem. 

I like Larry Michael a lot.  And I am no homer.  Met him a couple of times, really good dude.  He's paid by the team, he has a position with the team -- he broadcasts right out of Redskins Park.  Would you go on air and blast your employer?  It's his job to put a good face on the team -- and he does a great job considering what he has to deal with.

I've always found Larry "brought to you by Bob's Bobopedic Mattress" Michael to be annoying, but this is just a distraction from the fact that Snyder has always been and continues to be a marketing businessman. It's how he got his start. It's been the modus oporandi of the organization since he took over. They sell the hell out of the team, they market it like crazy, and they draw in people based on nostalgia and hope.

Well, people are starting to wake up to this. Point being, I think "fire Larry Michael" is staring at an individual tree in a forest filled with rot. Larry will just be replaced by someone else who's a slick used car salesman with a marketing background to sell nostalgia and subway sandwiches, or whichever of the hundreds of other sponsors this marketing and media organization sells in any particular season.

The real person who needs to go is the man at the top of this whole rotten thing.

6 minutes ago, HailSkins90 said:

I've always found Larry "brought to you by Bob's Bobopedic Mattress" Michael to be annoying, but this is just a distraction from the fact that Snyder has always been and continues to be a marketing businessman. It's how he got his start. It's been the modus oporandi of the organization since he took over. They sell the hell out of the team, they market it like crazy, and they draw in people based on nostalgia and hope.

Well, people are starting to wake up to this. Point being, I think "fire Larry Michael" is staring at an individual tree in a forest filled with rot. Larry will just be replaced by someone else who's a slick used car salesman with a marketing background to sell nostalgia and subway sandwiches, or whichever of the hundreds of other sponsors this marketing and media organization sells in any particular season.

The real person who needs to go is the man at the top of this whole rotten thing.

I agree with this, but Larry is still part of the problem. 

5 hours ago, zoony said:

Larry should be given the medal of honor for his service.  He makes Baghdad Bob look like an amateur 

LOL at Baghdad Bob reference.  I'll never forget the video of BB saying the Iraqis were going to triumphant while American tanks could be seen driving down the road.  Good comparison.

14 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

Why because he is not miserable? 

Redskins organization used to be a first-class operation. One of the three most successful in the league during the 80s. 

Snyder purchased the team in 99, and filled it with his cronies. I, for one, was optimistic about the purchase, because it felt like John Kent Cooke was a soft owner who kept a Casserly / Turner combo in place that obviously wasn’t working. 

Unfortunately, as we all know, Snyder has turned out to be horribly unsuccessful as an owner, leading to many embarrassing performances such as this past Mon.’s game. 

It can be tough to control wins and losses on the field, but off the field Snyder’s Skins have been terrible as well (significant employee turnover, fights with the local media, lawsuits with customers, cheerleader scandal, terrible stadium experience, etc).  There seems to be a steadfast cultural issue a Redskins Park (no matter the coach or GM) including an organizational arrogance that hasn’t been justified in a long time. To me, Larry Michael’s “we’re all good” communication strategy personifies that overconfident arrogance.  He’s not just the play-by-play guy, he’s a VP.  If the organization is making changes in other business areas to improve its relationship with its fans, it makes sense to look at Larry as well. 

Archived