Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offensive Line Thread

KDawg

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

Honestly,  wish Alex would break out of the pocket more.  I feel like he does better off schedule.  

He's never been good at improvising. I'm good if they are designed roll outs with 1-2 reads. If nothing is there huck it out of bounds and see what is there the next play. Asking him to ad-lib would be a no-no.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

When a raw OT is drafted, how many years are allotted for them to not be starter worthy e.g. how many years should we expect to wait for Christian to be ready?

I say it again, drafting a raw OT with our injury history is a very questionable pick in a win now year (evidenced by bring in Alex Smith).

Completely depends on the round selected. If player was drafted in first two rounds the expectation is they are playing year one. Since this guy was a third round pick have to ask

Does everyone know that the most likely outcome for a third round is just a special teams player? I wonder if our GM knows that? I'm sure he doesn't. 

If you are expecting a third round pick to play and be a starter year one it's not impossible but the odds are stacked against that happening. 

4 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

A combination of inexperienced/poor oline play and a lack of offensive skill players...what could go wrong?  

And a gunshy QB who doesn't seem to be throwing guys open, but rather waiting for them to be where he expects...oof

34 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Totally agree, although they would probably **** it up if they tried anything too complex.  To be honest I'd just like to see some more pulling lineman and more play action, at least that would be a start.

Yes I expect they would. When they have a real offensive guy calling the plays it shows. Panthers have Norv Turner calling those plays. We have Jay Gruden calling plays.

First down run, Second down pass, Third down pass, Fourth down punt

It's best shown here:

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/playcalling-tendencies.html

That's Jay's offense. It's not imaginative at all

So I hear the Pats came out in hurry up vs Green Bay, and had them reeling proper.  I saw later they tried a Flea. Of course they featured a WR at RB to great success. 

I have a little theory. Anything Bellichek is doing, is likely good for other teams to be doing.  Especially teams with a floundering under performing offense.   Nothing against Mo at all, but Harris on a fake jet sweep x5 is not leading to the promised land. Sweeps are best done with a burner, right?  The D probably doesn't react to him at all. Maybe its a tell for Alex.  Whatever, we suck if we can't run. 

I hear its a copy cat league, but we have largely ALWAYS abhorred doing the things that Bellichek has been doing in his reign of terror on the league. Yes, including cheating.  Rest assured during his time as a HC we are under 500. Well under.

The real kicker is: NE is good enough that they don't need to trick you, to beat you. The fact they still do it, speaks volumes.  And its nothing complicated, at all.

38 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I wonder if our GM knows that? I'm sure he doesn't.

I hate to break it to ya, but we don't have a GM.

29 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Yes I expect they would. When they have a real offensive guy calling the plays it shows. Panthers have Norv Turner calling those plays. We have Jay Gruden calling plays.

First down run, Second down pass, Third down pass, Fourth down punt

It's best shown here:

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/playcalling-tendencies.html

That's Jay's offense. It's not imaginative at all

For the most part, the Falcons were playing:

1st Down: Pass

2nd Down; Run

3rd Down; Pass.

That's as predictable as well.

There's two things you can do on each play:

- Run

- Pass

So D as 50% of guessing right even if they didn't studied the opponent.

So the whole bunch of possibilities is this one:

1 - R/R/R

2 - R/R/P

3 - R/P/R

4 - R/P/P

5 - P/R/R

6 - P/R/P

7 - P/P/R

8 - P/P/P

That's it! 8 differents combinations on a series of down. That's 12.5% of getting it right.

The Redskins use a lot of different run schemes; Peterson said opponents sometimes express amazement to him after games over the diversity of Washington's rushing attack. The Redskins use inside and outside zone as well as power gap schemes. They'll pull the guards; they use jet-sweep action to slow backside pursuit.

Adrian Peterson reacts to injured O-line: 'We all have to perform better'

@KDawg

?

Random idea. For 1 week, or for this current turnover within the OL, just get the biggest baddest ass JUMBO sized run blocking guards out there, and try to plow the road to victory for a week or 2.  And then of course, kill defenses with quick hitting PAP.  Running is how we are winning anyways, so why fight it?  Free agent Run blockers FTW.

On Sunday, if I see Alex back on a 7 step drop on his first pass, and he predictably gets sacked, my replacement laptop is flying out the window.

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Random idea. For 1 week, or for this current turnover within the OL, just get the biggest baddest ass JUMBO sized run blocking guards out there, and try to plow the road to victory for a week or 2.  And then of course, kill defenses with quick hitting PAP.  Running is how we are winning anyways, so why fight it?  Free agent Run blockers FTW.

On Sunday, if I see Alex back on a 7 step drop on his first pass, and he predictably gets sacked, my replacement laptop is flying out the window.

I think, for fun, they should all week have been working Ioannidis at one of the OG spots. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/all-those-offensive-line-injuries-almost-forced-redskins-use-extreme-emergency-plan

May as well have fun with this. Power run behind that man, AP. :) 

20 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I think, for fun, they should all week have been working Ioannidis at one of the OG spots. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/all-those-offensive-line-injuries-almost-forced-redskins-use-extreme-emergency-plan

May as well have fun with this. Power run behind that man, AP. :) 

I love the idea of Ioannidis actually. Or Kerrigan, who will simply choke out his opposition and hope for the non calls that happen to him every year. We all know Bellichek would use Sprinkle and our offense wouldn't miss a beat. There is something to be said about knowing the player, playbook, etc.

The more I think about it, the less I joke about our brainstorming solutions.  I imagine finding 2 guards that are both strong in pass and run duties is very difficult.  If WE have to choose a player with stronger strengths at one or the other, I think it's has to be run blocking, at least until Alex can complete 20 yard passes.

Sure, we also need mobility durability and smarts too, but then we are simply expecting the impossible. Those guys all have jobs.

So, in what areas [edit] DID Doug and Callahan prioritize strengths, and minimize weaknesses?

Here they are: #Redskins sign G Luke Bowanko, G John Cooper and T Austin Howard

^ I think it could be very interesting, creative, and unexpected to opponents. Probably beneficial to the offensive production too. Having spent the week cutting down the quantity of playbook to quality. Simplifying things a bit while adding in far more power run versus zone. 

Bios on the Newbies

Bowanko was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft and started fourteen games his rookie year. In the two following years, however, Bowanko only played in seven more before moving to Baltimore, where he played sixteen games, starting one, in 2017. He was also Morgan Moses’ team mate in college.

Jonathan Cooper was drafted in the top ten, acquired by the Arizona Cardinals at No. 7 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft. Since then, Cooper’s had year-long stints with Cleveland and Dallas. He started 13 games for Dallas last year, and at 28 years old, he should be good insurance for Washington.

Austin Howard is the team’s oldest signing, nearing 32 years of age. Howard was a longtime starter in the NFL, but after starting at right tackle for the Ravens last year, he was released by the team, and picked up by the Colts, who cut him after an uninspiring preseason. Howard will now have to prove he belongs once again. He brings experience, if nothing else.

15 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

Am I the only one that thinks Cooper is an upgrade over Lavao?

In a few games, our line might look something like this: Williams, Cooper, Roullier, Nsekhe, and Moses. That’s not bad considering the loss of Scherff.

Cooper could be an upgrade solely based upon presumed and hopeful superior durability. We hear often about continuity is pivotal for OL play.  Sure SL is better than his backup for 2 games, but then is injured in the 1st quarter of the 3rd game. Compare that to a lessor talent but the same guy over those 3 weeks. There is a trade off there.

Andre' Johnson is still waiting for a call....

1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

In a few games, our line might look something like this: Williams, Cooper, Roullier, Nsekhe, and Moses. That’s not bad considering the loss of Scherff.

For the stretch run, you've gotta go Nsekhe / Williams (at LG) / Roullier / Cooper / Moses

1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

I'm trying to psych myself into the positives again. Rationalize it! Yeah, Shawn Lauvao is not what I'd call a good OL, so maybe the drop-off wouldn't be much if anything. I hope. Not a fan of how Moses has been playing much of this year.. so there's still a massive concern at RG-RT, even if Cooper starts and plays okay at LG. 

With the playcalling, QB, WRs, and OL.. I think I'll just play this like many here do. Expect the worst, and any good to defy that mindset will be appreciated. ?

3 minutes ago, method man said:

For the stretch run, you've gotta go Nsekhe / Williams (at LG) / Roullier / Cooper / Moses

That looks a whole lot better, to me. 

I really wonder if they'll play the new guys at LG/RG vs a guy like Dunn. Dunn looked good in preseason but I wonder if they had plans to develop/hide him more than playing him. 

Also, i think about success stories in the past by this FO. The names that come to mind are last year Zach Vigil and Bibbs and Marshall, a few years back with Mason Foster, and Will Blackmon. So its not unprecidented. Guys are unsigned for various reasons. And the thing that I was inspired by last year is that Gruden kept this team afloat with all the injuries. 

And lets not forget that Perine had a 100 yard game with a line of Nsekhe/Kouandjio/Berg/Scherff/Moses against the Giants

The best thing going for us from a fan perspective is that Atlanta with 2 backup guards schooled our ace front 7. All game long.  Sure they had a bye week to aid them in prepping, but in the end its going to come down to Jay's play calling. I hate to think he will blindly call plays that exposes the OL, but that is my greater fear, than the play of the backups alone.  Quick passing alone should shutdown stunts and sack fumbles. Once the DBs move up, and the DL figure out to jump to bat balls, Jay needs to change up and pump fake deep in the 2nd half.

Who am I kidding... noticeable successful 2nd half adjustments?  pipe dream.  We must be the lowest scoring 3rd quarter team, or 2nd half.

Or both

27 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

Cooper is a LG, so I’m hesitant to have him play out of position. Also, Williams hates playing guard. I wonder why we didn’t pursue Jahri Evans for RG.

Would you be looking at this OL to face the Bucs?. 

RT  Moses

RG  Bergstrom 

C.    Roulier

LG.  Cooper

LT    Nseke

HTTR 

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Yup, normally I'd say no way to this but having lost both guards I think this is the correct move.

Ill play devils advocate here.  Why not put Trent at LT, He is better then Ty.  This is reminiscent of moving Roullier to G and putting Berg at C.... Just sayin...

Obviously putting TY at G

Archived