Extremeskins

Booing - at the Stadium

bedlamVR

Is it OK to boo the team - in the Stadium   

107 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fans Boo the team ?

• Yes Its our right to Boo - the team should be better
    • No - If your not happy leave - Fans should support the team

"As fans its our right to boo - Right ? I mean the team should win every game i attend and if they don't they should know i specifically am outraged !!!!!! If the product on the field was better then I would not have to boo ! "

This seems to be the snapshot of the oppinion on people 'right to boo'. But here is the thing - I am strongly of the opinion that we as fans get the team we deserve - If we cannot support the team - and for that i mean turn up and cheer and make life hell for the opponents and the refs when things don't go our way then why have fans at all ? - Based on the fans performance this weekend then if i was designing the next Redskins Stadium the capacity would be like 1,000 and most of that would be in soundproof booths.

But why the fuss - Seriously ? 

As fans we are pretty pasionate bunch - i get upset when the team plays badly - which is why i never post in the game day threads (or very rarely) but when i get upset and i am watching in a bar or at home i turn the TV over (or bowls of popcorn) and might go and do something else (typically go and find a vacuum to clean up spilled popcorn) others might punch the cat (do not punch cats) but I am not saying it is not okay to be upset - but when you are at the stadium its different - 

People say the fans cannot influence a game - But that is not true - Fans at home cannot change the game - but in the stadium the fans are very much part of the game - 

Cheering and crowd noise is such a positive thing to do - It makes the environment hostile to the other team and gives our players a boost. That is why crowd noise is often considered in stadium design and the 12th man is a markeing thing . 

Booing achieves nothing  - It doesn't even make you feel better . 

I will give you an example. If at work today your boss or your client comes up to you and says - wow well done great job you are awesome - does it not make you 'feel' appreciated ? Does it not make you feel like hmm things are not so bad and i am doing good i will keep on working here because i am valued... 

On the flip side is while you are struggling to get a report fished or close a sale or what ever - and your boss came over and started shouting at you - or just started making random booing noises from across the room - yelling obscenities and telling you you were rubbish at your job - would that make you work harder or would it make you think **** you dude and instead of struggling with what you were doing you would spend the afternoon printing out your CV ... 

Positive praise is synergistic - it makes people want more of it and they work harder .... 

Negative feedback is disruptive - it makes people defensive and makes them shut down and acheives nothing ... 

From a team building exercise - if you are a free agent and you are top 5-10 at your possition - are you going to want to come to team where all the home fans do is moan and boo ... you are goning to be rich no matter what - I would take less to go to a team where the fans know how to be fans  

With this in mind do you think it is okay to boo at home games ? Or do you think the FANS need to step it up and actually get behind the damn team ? 

Their play bordered on the criminally inept. I would have booed, too. Snyder should have refunded half of the ticket, food, and beverage costs to anyone who stayed until the end.

Most of them don't care, they get their fat paychecks and know they are going out there next week. Look, we can't even replace a terrible LG, so you think one of the better players is going to be worried about a few boos?

Super Bowl winners typically have a winning record on the road, and you know why?  Because they are good enough and disciplined enough to win in an environment where pretty much no one wants them to succeed.  If you pay to go to that game, you have to me the right to tell them how you feel, especially if your close enough you know they can hear you.

Good teams win on the road, bad teams lose at home and make excuses for it, like blaming the fans for not being loud enough.  Last I checked, I'm not on the roster, so why am I getting blamed?  Crowd noise has the most effect on the snap count of the opposing team, good teams practice and prepare for that.

I was at the Colts game, I gave them my support, yelled for when what I felt they needed, boo'd for them not wanting to win as much as we did as fans who pay out the ass to see them play in person, and numb once I realized we were at the 5 minute mark and moving the ball like we needed 1 touchdown instead of 2.

From my perspective, what happened in that colts game from a fans perspective isn't really meant for the team, we love the team.  That was meant for Allen and Snyder.  People want to blame fans running from Florence, doesn't matter, that whole thing was so ugly Front Office went into overdrive to address the WR position.  Coincidence?

22 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

With this in mind do you think it is okay to boo at home games ? Or do you think the FANS need to step it up and actually get behind the damn team ? 

I think it's acceptable to boo at home games, especially the most recent one.  The fans can step it up and get behind the team when they start winning.    

I’m not sure it accomplishes much of anything.  But it does have it’s time and place with an organization like this one.  With a fan base that is fed up with the mediocrity.  There were absolutely no signs that the team was going to put anything together to potentially win the game.  I don’t think the team deserved a positive reaction nor could have used it for fuel to go and win the game.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure it accomplishes much of anything.  But it does have it’s time and place with an organization like this one.  With a fan base that is fed up with the mediocrity.  There were absolutely no signs that the team was going to put anything together to potentially win the game.  I don’t think the team deserved a positive reaction nor could have used it for fuel to go and win the game.

I do believe during the game there was 2 positive reactions, both were on DJ’s interceptions.  Now, the problem is the Redskin offense snuffed out any excitement that was created by completely flopping on their faces.....even in the midst of a terrible game, 2 plays that deserved fan reaction were received in a positive manner.  Then on the flip side, when the O **** the bed, the fan reaction was reactionary as well.  BOO!  You did nothing with delivered opportunities to get your heads out of your butts and play football.  Fans cheer and BOO with passion, we want our players to play with the same ferver.  Not just one player(36), ALL players.  

Yes, fans have a right to voice their displeasure. And while maybe they shouldn't all the time, sometimes it's appropriate to vent your frustrations since we've got no other way to impact the game/players directly.

Also, why is everybody so upset about this? How loud can 10,000 people booing really be in a stadium designed to send sound up and out instead of onto the field?

These guys all make to much money... they are very well paid. They should be expected to produce at a high level. I am not talking about winning every game, but as fans we should expect our team to be competitive. When our product is not competitive we have the right to BOO! Our Redskins were embarrassing against the Colts, they should have booed themselves.

I'm not a proponent of booing your team at home, particularly in the opening game but I can't say I wouldn't have broken my habits. No sanctimony. I won't know how my stadium experience will be because I have no desire to go there anytime soon. It just doesn't support the pragmatism I now take with this team. The extreme passion I had from birth to about 2013 has been steadily dropping off and with all the Cousins nonsense, Allen being a ****ing **** and Snyder being his stagnant self.

A competent front office would have re-signed a true passing talent and I know that's stale bread but it was the right move. A good franchise would have had the foresight to know that we had a much better candidate for Head Coach who was ready despite younger than some of his players. Also, despite siding with the Redskins about not overpaying aging WRs, coaches and front office should have known their own players (D-Jax) to know the trajectory of his career. He obviously has a lot of juice left and in the second year of a 3 year deal.

Realistically, we should have been moving forward with McVay, Cousins and keeping D-Jax. That way, we could have held onto Kendall Fuller. We could have traded Norman for a draft pick as a way to trim the cap.

image.png.649d7eea92204b3636eb12fecc5f4344.png

The only time I heard the team booed on Sunday was coming off the field at halftime, probably because of the anemic display on offense. And maybe some exasperation was voiced very late in the game when we were still dinking and dunking down the field, but I think most folks had bailed by that time.

The only other times I heard boos were directed at the Colts fans who were trying to organize a chant supporting their team.

I have no problem with fans booing the team under one circumstance:  a prolonged period of suck with an outlook of future suck to come.

I think that a lot of Redskins fans are now of the mindset that we suck, we have sucked, and we are going to suck, and any light at the end of the tunnel is actually a train (see week 1 win against Arizona.  See light at the end of the tunnel for the end of suck, lose in miserable fashion to Indy, smooshed by train.)

Fans of the Patriots, Steelers and Packers shouldn't ever boo even if the team loses here or there.

Redskins fans have the right to boo. We've been mediocre to bad for so long, it's a compounding affect.  So do Bills fans, because minus the oasis of a playoff birth last year, they'd gone like 30 years without reaching the playoffs and they look to be back to suck.  Lions fans obviously have every right to boo. 

At the moment, that's about it.  Perrenial bottom feeders Browns, Jets, Dolphins, Jags etc. all have some reason for optimism.

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I wouldnt boo at the first home game in a game that wasnt that bad. It wasnt Steelers MNF bad.

I think booing and the sign stuff at the end of Vinny's era was the right place and time. But that took years of build up to get to that point.

I think "MNF Steelers bad" before booing might be a pretty low bar.

I also think that for most fans, we're there with Allen after 8+ years.  It's maybe slightly better than Vinny years, but not by a lot, and the future doesn't look bright.

We could all be wrong, but based on history, we're not.  Though, based on history, they beat the Packers and lose to the Saints because that's what we do...

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The more I think about it, it’s a shame that a player like Chris Thompson is hearing the boos.  You can tell it means something to him and he’s not one to deserve it.  

Yes, it stinks that players like Chris and some of others are subjected to booing.He is one of the ones that puts forth great effort week in and out.I understand people booing just not sure about doing it during the first home game of the season coming off of a win,but it was a clunker. Wish there was a way to boo the front office.

The booing must have come late in the fourth quarter after the Reed fumble when it was evident that they had no intention of winning the game. Otherwise folks were pretty supportive and even loud at times for a half empty stadium. Now that I think about it there may have been some booing during the second quarter when I spent the duration of it in line for concessions. FEDEX upgrades means you get to spend more time getting to know people in line. Good thing it wasn't a sellout otherwise I may still be waiting for my steak and cheese. What a Joke ! 

28 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Yes, it stinks that players like Chris and some of others are subjected to booing.He is one of the ones that puts forth great effort week in and out.I understand people booing just not sure about doing it during the first home game of the season coming off of a win,but it was a clunker. Wish there was a way to boo the front office.

The booing was clear on the broadcast i watched from around the end of the first Q - Most of the local reporters were commenting on it too... and here is the thing - I really don't think any of the players went out on sunday to half ass it - People have mentioned DJ and Chris Thompson should not have been booed but it doesn't work like that - you boo the team you boo everyone - People may be incompetent- they may JUST be having a bad day - but i don't think people in the organization are there to not put the effort in... if you don't want them to put the effort in then by all means keep going to the stadium to boo - i mean to tell guys like Chris Thompson - hey don't bother trying because no one appreicates it ... 

I get the point the team have been bad for a while - but last week we were flat out  dominant - against what might be a sucky Cardinals team - that is what we should have been coming with expectations - and if you think the team stinks and will stink why the **** bother to take time out of your day to travel to a stadium - que to get in pay through the nose for parking stand around in the cold for three hours simply to come and say 'you suck you should do better'? 

Being pissed off at the team or loosing interest in a team is one thing - but booing at the stadium - what is the point ? 

The front office pays more attention to poor attendence and decreased revenue - that kind of thing will spark the FO to do something dramatic - like move the stadium or even the team - or potentially make a blockbuster trade for a start player - but booing the team - The FO cares less it does affect the players - and not in a good way - I can see us being one of those teams that can ONLY win on the road - and the fans will blame the FO and the players - because - well what impact can fans have ? 

I feel sorry for the players that they had to hear the boos, but I think that when you perform the way they did this past Sunday for the home opener, it's very warranted.  I think the booing was probably aimed more at the coaching staff, and definitely the front office.  I think fans are fed up now to the point that those who DO go to games will voice their displeasure when a team effort like that is exhibited.  I feel bad for Chris Thompson and the rookies, but I certainly DON"T feel bad for Josh Norman, the O-Line, or any of the receivers who heard the boos.  They deserve it, and I don't feel the least bit sorry.  

I expect that as the season goes on, fans will be much more harsh to the team, and any lack of effort, or execution.  This fan base has been getting the **** end of the stick at home games for 20+ years, so you certainly can't blame fans for wanting to express their frustrations in anyway that they can.

Archived