Booing - at the Stadium

bedlamVR

Is it OK to boo the team - in the Stadium   

107 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fans Boo the team ?

• Yes Its our right to Boo - the team should be better
    • No - If your not happy leave - Fans should support the team

12 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

People have mentioned DJ and Chris Thompson should not have been booed but it doesn't work like that - you boo the team you boo everyone -

I agree with your entire premise here, and especially this part.. yet I also agree with those saying they do have the right to boo.. 

It's just not something I would be a part of. Players are highly paid and can take some boos, so that doesn't bother me. I just feel like most players really do care enough to take the losses to heart.. so they probably don't need the extra help in salting the wound of failure.

By now, I think we all know that as sports fans, to invest at all in the game, we have to take the good with the bad. 

Do a bad job, get a bad review.  Do a good job, get a good review.

I don't see the controversy here.  Even Swearinger said that the team wasn't giving its all throughout the week (again): https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/09/17/d-j-swearinger-says-there-was-complacency-in-the-building-ahead-of-redskins-first-loss/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1548dfdd1292

If this were a team that occasionally had stinkers, then yeah, they get a pass.  But when this is a team that's only occasionally had NON-stinkers, then no, they don't get a pass.

A side mini-rant:  I don't give a **** about any of these players, coaches, or staff.  Not the water boy, not the owner, no one.  They are not the Redskins; they are temporary pieces of the puzzle, hopefully memorable for good reasons.  I was a fan long before any of these people had anything to do with the organization, and I'll be a fan long after they're gone.  This team means more to the lifelong fans than it ever will to people who momentarily don the colors.  They don't spend a huge percentage of their time, money, and emotional well-being on the team, but we fans do.  Alex Smith isn't comparing yesterday to the glory days, and he doesn't have to hear **** from people at work about it.

This is a JOB to them.  This is a way of LIFE to anyone who's been on this board for any stretch.  They get cheered when they're great and booed when they're not.  Fans aren't there to make them happy; they're there to make US happy.  And they did a crap job at best on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

This is a JOB to them.  This is a way of LIFE to anyone who's been on this board for any stretch.  They get cheered when they're great and booed when they're not.  Fans aren't there to make them happy; they're there to make US happy.  And they did a crap job at best on Sunday.

It's icy, but can't argue the logic. 

This team wins 1 game.... and then even the players acknowledged that there was complacency. God, what a loser franchise. All it takes it 1 win.... 1 goddamn win... and these bunch of losers think they’ve arrived.

Or how about Gruden stated that the opening drive was “like getting punched in the mouth”. And set the tone for the game. HOLY CRAP! All it takes is 1 punch?!??! The first punch! And you can’t recover from that?!?!? Are you kidding me right now? Absolutely zero resiliency!!!! 

I’m sorry. I’m packing it on this season already. 2 games into the season... and this team quit. Despite all the wonderful feel good “seriously, there’s a new vibe around the lockerroom” we’ve heard all offseason.

We don’t be losing. We boo losers. And that’s what this team is. 

Someone here posted an excerpt of what Chris Thompson said about booing. Chris was basically like "They shouldn't do that." But the offense wasn't doing NOTHING. So after 3 or 4 straight futile drives, the fans have every damn right to boo. I was there Sunday and I vividly remember hearing rampant boos when the offense flamed out yet again on 3rd down. The fans paid a damn crapload and took time out of their day to see you play. And you lay an egg against a Colts D that got lit up Week 1 against the Bengals? Yeah, I'd damn well boo too. 

3 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I think in this particular situation we need to go back to the Anti Snyder form of protest.  Signs against him and Allen.  Make it clear where our disgust lies, not with the players, but the front office!!

That means you are at the game, which is the main problem to begin with. Anyone who goes anymore is part of the problem. Total boycott. STH should be ridiculed and shunned.

37 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I want to see a clip and hear audio of the booing or it didn't happen..

The difference between being at the game and watching on TV is that you won't clearly hear what goes on in the stadium. Trust me, I was there. I heard them boo after another futile 3rd down. The boos rained down hard. You might not pick that up on TV. But in the stadium, even in the cheap seats, it's audible. 

I am too quiet at the games and too introverted to really make my presence known. I'm a very quiet person. But you best believe internally I'm damn pissed at the play. Last Sunday was some of the most irritated I've been watching a game. It was highly unpleasant to watch and if I had a damn voice I would be furious booing too. 

I see nothing wrong with booing.  The fans that did show up are just displaying their passion.  If the team performed, they would have been cheering!

What the team should be worried about is the apathy.  Don't get on the fans that actually were there.  You should be more worried about the fact that Skins fans didn't care enough to come out.  Keep up the crappy efforts, and the rest of the "home" games will feel like road games - justifiably!

It’s definitely our right to boo if you want to. But I have never nor will ever boo the team I’m rooting. I just can’t. It’s hard enough when your out there and nothing is working. But to be heckled by your own fans has got to hurt a little. I won’t tell other people how they want to react but I for one would not. 

I feel bad that some of the guys hear it, like the aforementioned Chris Thompson and Kerrigan, too.

Some of them, I don't feel bad for.  Pernell McPhee seems like a jerk.  4th quarter, defense just got off the field and an NFL Films cameraman is standing next to the bench doing his job, filming,  McPhee started laying into the guy, asking him what he was doing it for, etc.  Guy stood his ground for a bit, McPhee kept laying into him.  Finally the guy just picked up his camera and left.  I don't feel bad for a guy like that.  I've been super lucky to shoot games for ES for a number of years now but I've never seen a player go after a media member like that for just doing their job.  (Other when Lichtensteiger told me to "Get the **** outta here with that ****," which made me laugh after he walked past me) 

But the fans on Sunday that booed have been seeing the same things for years now.  They those same things on Sunday, just a flat football team that couldn't do anything on both sides of the ball.  Attendance is down, opposing attendance is up, the fans have every right to let em know.  I think it's one thing to boo a good team because they're not playing well....but if you're booing a team like this that has been largely incompetent for years and you've paid good money to come see them, it's understandable.  

18 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The difference between being at the game and watching on TV is that you won't clearly hear what goes on in the stadium. Trust me, I was there. I heard them boo after another futile 3rd down. The boos rained down hard. You might not pick that up on TV. But in the stadium, even in the cheap seats, it's audible. 

I was watching on TV and clearly heard the booing in the second quarter. One of the flattest efforts I have ever seen from the Redskins,and unfortunately there have been way too many.

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

if I had a damn voice I would be furious booing too. 

What does this mean?.. something medically not allowing you to do or you just can't bring your self to being that loud..u did say ur a quiet person so that would make sense..i believe the boo birds were out as I would have been booing too I jus wanted to see and hear if someone had a clip..what a shame tho..and I thought I seen a report about how the players weren't out as they traditionally are two hours before kickoff warming up..that's weird

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It’s hard enough when your out there and nothing is working. But to be heckled by your own fans has got to hurt a little.

I hope it hurts. A kick in the butt probably hurts too, but sometimes people need it.

It sucks for people like Thompson that actually give a **** about it, but if it hurts, that's all the better. If I'm a team captain and we just got booed off the field, I'd be standing there in front of my teammates pointing up to the stands and telling them that's what they get for playing like ****. The fans are sick of going out to the stadium to have a heap of **** dropped in front of them and then have the organization have the gall to tell them that they should cheer for it.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If you boo your team, you're an asshole. 

Ahh interesting perspective..I lean this way, and get so pissed, I've been known to boo the TV..at the stadium tho..even though I said I would be booing, to I think about it acctualy I don't think I could boo the team in person...than why man?..why do we have to witness what we did Sunday against the colts and not boo..what was the reason for the ****ty performance?..why so flat..dull...I watched the game next to a colts fan and he said it's there new defense..the youth they have, there very fast at linebacker..lol I know ya don't have the answers...how can I be both..a fan that can say ahhh boo!!,, thumbs down to the TV but also say fans who boo my favorite team are dicks..haha...

If you're team is playing badly and you want better production, you should cheer and shout out encouragement, because it stimulates adrenaline which will aid the players in overcoming exhaustion.  If you want you players to concentrate better, you should remain silent because an overload of adrenaline negatively affects concentration and finesse.

Booing, on the other hand, does nothing positive for the players during the game.  It may make you feel better that you can anonymously express your displeasure, but it won't help the team.  Boo after the game is over.  Cheer during the game.

At any event that is not professional, you should never boo, unless you are a jerk.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The more I think about it, it’s a shame that a player like Chris Thompson is hearing the boos.  You can tell it means something to him and he’s not one to deserve it.  

Im not even sure the fans care enough anymore to make a display out of their displeasure like the end of the Vinny era.

I don't do it personally, but really don't have an issue with it. In fact, what else can fans do if they are unhappy with any aspect of the operation? Even if they're mad about concessions or the stadium, booing is kind of their only outlet. It's the same as a customer yelling at the minimum-wage cashier for a store policy he has no control over. Fair? Probably not, but it happens every day. 

I quoted your post for the CT aspect...

Why is he immune if it's OK in general? He's been paid? Yes, he typically plays well but he certainly didn't on Sunday. In fact, he had probably the single dumbest play in the entire game that easily COULD have cost us points (turning a 40-yard FG into a 50-yard FG). Now, it wouldn't have made any difference in a pretty non-competitive game but I still don't see why he gets a pass just because he's usually better. 

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

A side mini-rant:  I don't give a **** about any of these players, coaches, or staff.  Not the water boy, not the owner, no one.  They are not the Redskins; they are temporary pieces of the puzzle, hopefully memorable for good reasons.  I was a fan long before any of these people had anything to do with the organization, and I'll be a fan long after they're gone.  This team means more to the lifelong fans than it ever will to people who momentarily don the colors.  They don't spend a huge percentage of their time, money, and emotional well-being on the team, but we fans do.  Alex Smith isn't comparing yesterday to the glory days, and he doesn't have to hear **** from people at work about it.

I've always felt this way since I became old enough to think through it. When I was 10, it felt like Gibbs and some of those players would be there forever. THAT was the Redskins. Now, for better or worse, WE THE FANS are really the only constant. Players change, coaches change, uniforms change, even owners and stadiums change less often. Other than the team name and the history itself, nothing has been associated with the team as long as many of the fans have.

So, I'm not using this as a boo/no boo justification so much as WE are the lifeblood of the Redskins. Snyder and any coach or player is more or less a Redskins Steward until they hand their role off to the next guy in line. 

Archived