Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yanny or Laurel

Dan T.

I'm a little late to the debate, but this is still fascinating.

Which do you hear, "Yanny" or "Laurel"?

I hear one so clearly I can't fathom how people hear the other. Yet I've seen accounts of people swearing it is so obviously the other.  I've tried to expect to hear the other, but so far I've been unable to.

Which do you hear?

1 minute ago, Chew said:

All I heard was Yanni until somebody removed the higher pitched sounds, then I heard Laurel.

Now I can hear both when the unedited sound is played. 

I assume - and hope - what I posted was the original, unedited version.

I heard Yanny.  In the video clip I watched, it was broken down as to why some hear one or the other.  The actual word being said is Laurel, but in the original clip they played it at a higher frequency.  Which causes some to hear Yanny and some to hear Laurel.  

Some other talk of people with younger ears (or better hearing) will most likely hear Yanny, people with older ears or bad hearing hear Laurel.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I heard Yanny.  In the video clip I watched, it was broken down as to why some hear one or the other.  The actual word being said is Laurel, but in the original clip they played it at a higher frequency.  Which causes some to hear Yanny and some to hear Laurel.  

Some other talk of people with younger ears (or better hearing) will most likely hear Yanny, people with older ears or bad hearing hear Laurel.

This is what i dont understand. 

If the word actually is "laurel" ... why would ppl w old or bad ears be the ones hearing it correctly? 

The brain cant be trusted. Amazing how our brain subconscioulsy tries to plug in small holes when it encounters a small piece of stimulus that doesnt automatically fall into place. 

I've heard it from different sources, heard different things.  On my computer it was Yanny, on my phone it was Laurel. 

I honestly don't understand how this thing has taken over the internet.  I mean, it's a nice distraction from everything else I suppose but...different people hear things differently.  

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It is 100% Laurel. It was also a blue dress with black stripes. 

First thing I thought of was that dress.  Like the dress, I don't particularly care, though I am interested in the scientific explanation behind it.

10 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

The brain cant be trusted. Amazing how our brain subconscioulsy tries to plug in small holes when it encounters a small piece of stimulus that doesnt automatically fall into place. 

Yup, the brain has an innate need to protect it's own feeling of coherency, so it will filter out and smooth over inconsistencies to keep those out of your immediate awareness. Especially when it's in a situation where it has to "attach" to one iteration of reality over another.

It's actually both a good and bad thing. It's good because it's protective, as life can be horrible when your internal awareness gets so sensitive that it picks up on so many of these gaps. Plus it impedes holistic functioning, because there is so much "meta noise" taking up your awareness. But, it's also bad if you don't challenge and counter-balance that function of the brain and develop an over-abundance of self-certainty and a dearth of behavioral strategies to cope with and overcome our inherent limitations (ie dunning kruger bros).

6 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

This is what i dont understand. 

If the word actually is "laurel" ... why would ppl w old or bad ears be the ones hearing it correctly? 

From what I read, as we get older, its harder to hear higher frequencies.  So, in the original sound clip, they recorded Laurel but raised it to a higher frequency, which resulted in people hearing different words.  So, if you are older or have worse hearing, you still process it the same and hear the actual word Laurel.  If your younger or have good hearing you hear the higher frequency and it comes across as Yanny.

Also, I read that what device you listen to it on could impact what you hear as well.  Because of the differences in sound quality, etc.

33 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I assume - and hope - what I posted was the original, unedited version.

Here's the edited version where I could first hear Laurel, I only heard Yanni at first with the unedited version:

14 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Yup, the brain has an innate need to protect it's own feeling of coherency, so it will filter out and smooth over inconsistencies to keep those out of your immediate awareness. Especially when it's in a situation where it has to "attach" to one iteration of reality over another.

It's actually both a good and bad thing. It's good because it's protective, as life can be horrible when your internal awareness gets so sensitive that it picks up on so many of these gaps. Plus it impedes holistic functioning, because there is so much "meta noise" taking up your awareness. But, it's also bad if you don't challenge and counter-balance that function of the brain and develop an over-abundance of self-certainty and a dearth of behavioral strategies to cope with and overcome our inherent limitations (ie dunning kruger bros).

Image result for meme what if i told you read sentence wrongmatrix

Brain assumes things to speed things up. This is different from the yanny v laurel thing. 

37 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Brain assumes things to speed things up. This is different from the yanny v laurel thing. 

I was focused more on that part of your quote for the brain in general, rather than specifically the yanny laurel thing. And in that regard, it's about more than just speed, but speed is definitely included or a better word might be pace or flow.

There are factors of flow, coherency, integrity, and many other things which all have to be kept in certain ranges for human consciousness to operate without undue stress. If you're brain is so internally sensitive that it is overwhelmed by it's awareness of missing context, it will tend towards inaction (the freeze of flight/fight/freeze).

Archived