Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yanny or Laurel

Dan T.

I heard laurel and nothing else and my wife heard "djyammy."

I went to the NYTimes article where they have a slider that lets you filter out low frequency information from the recording and I finally heard "djyammy" too.  And then I filtered out the high frequency information and she finally heard laurel.

It turns out she can hear high frequency information a lot better than I can.  I've damaged my hearing.

This is interesting because I can probably make safe assumptions about whether or not people have damaged their hearing based on how they respond, assuming they all hear the recording through decent speakers that don't enhance low frequency sound.

If you hear yanny, congratulations, you didn't **** up your ears.

It's Yanni.

At least it is for the first one in this video:

5 hours ago, Chew said:

@Chew

I'm surprised so many folks can't hear that high end. @Momma There Goes That Man

Or maybe it means I'm lacking low end register. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you hear yanny, congratulations, you didn't **** up your ears.

I've got persistent tinnitus in one ear from years of djing, I presume, but I can still hear that high register. It cancels out the low end almost totally. 

Only when I really focus on the low end can I subtle hear laurel masked underneath on the first one. That's before any editing. So, I can strain and hear Laurel, but Yanni is jumping out. 

Only after the high end is edited away on the second cut, can I easily hear Laurel become totally clear. 

My question to the Laurel people is, does the Laurel in the second cut sound exactly the same as the Laurel in the 1st cut? Is it the same intensity of clarity or can you detect changes from one to two?

10 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

question to the Laurel people is, does the Laurel in the second cut sound exactly the same as the Laurel in the 1st cut? Is it the same intensity of clarity or can you detect changes from one to two?

I had only heard one cut of it earlier this week. I just played the video in the beginning and the first time it was Yanny, the second it was Laurel. This blew my mind so I immediately played it again and it was Laurel both times sounding the exact same. I have no idea what’s going on 

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I had only heard one cut of it earlier this week. I just played the video in the beginning and the first time it was Yanny, the second it was Laurel. This blew my mind so I immediately played it again and it was Laurel both times sounding the exact same. I have no idea what’s going on 

I've abused my ears for years, but I've always had sharp hearing. I've always sensed vibration and humming sounds at really low registers. Things where other people think I'm going bonkers when I 'm adamant there's some kind-of sound. 

So this thing with the high frequency really interests me because I've professionally trained my ears in studio monitoring to pick out layers of sound. But now I've recently got tinnitus, so it's all downhill for me.  

My first thought was that the tinnitus is messing with me somehow. 

I was wondering wtf this was. I kept hearing these two stupid words and finally broke down to research it.

Going in blind, I heard Yanny. Then, I played it again and focused on the other frequency, and now I can only hear Laurel. My mind is better than yours.

Archived