Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Two of my employees have spouses in the National Guard who have been deployed to Afghanistan for over 400 days. I'll be sure to tell them that they are not part or "our military" if they return safely. ?

Cool.  Tell them to say hi to the contractors and government civilians that are there.

Being deployed to Afghanistan doesn't make you a part of the military.  Though that shouldn't cheapen what they are doing there.

26 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

So is full time active duty the standard for being a member of the "military"? I have no idea what the distinctions are between the army, reserves, and National Guard. Are reserves considered military?

The Guard that is called up for deployment overseas or for national service is national military, 

Buzz is a Marine, they are uppity :)....among other things

59 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

So is full time active duty the standard for being a member of the "military"? I have no idea what the distinctions are between the army, reserves, and National Guard. Are reserves considered military?

I could be wrong (going off memory) but the National guard is only part of the military when they are called up to go overseas or on a drill weekend.  Important distinction because when the guard is used domestically, it would be against the law because of the Pommus something act.  Again I could be off here but feel like I'm pretty close.

27 minutes ago, twa said:

The Guard that is called up for deployment overseas or for national service is national military, 

Buzz is a Marine, they are uppity :)....among other things

False.

Anyways, in general active duty and FTS dont view them as real military.  Though we do accept them when they deploy with us.

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I saw the Guard considers themselves military also.

Yea except they are not DoD.  They fall under DHS.  They are "military" because they can be attached to the Navy during time of war.  But I will tell you Coast guard people are the only ones that consider them military. 

2 hours ago, twa said:

You Navy?

That would explain a lot.:bye:

Yup.