Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My friend Jkam

Dan T.

This is difficult for me to write. 

Back in 2003, my best friend told me about a website where Redskins fans went to talk about the team and about other stuff.  I didn't know a damned thing about message boards, but I took his advice and went to this place called Extremeskins.  I haven't left.  

Jkam was Jack's screen name.  He didn't post a whole lot, but he was a Redskins fan to his core.  He was a season ticket holder, and had been going to games since he was a kid.  His dad had season tickets all the way back to ****ing Griffith Stadium.  

Jack and his wife and kids welcomed us to our new neighborhood when our young family moved in, and we've been friends ever since, for more than 25 years.  And he introduced me to this virtual neighborhood called Extremeskins.  He was a kind soul, a damned good lawyer, a lifelong DC area-sports fan, and was always even-keeled even as he fought a 6 year battle against a ****ed up disease that ultimately took his life one week ago.  

I never heard a word of despair or bitterness from him even though he was dealt a crappy hand that ended his life too soon.  Even at the end, his focus was on his family and his friends, not himself.  

Do me a favor.  Take stock of your life this weekend.  Take a moment to enjoy that beer you are drinking, and feel lucky you have the life you do.  Don't take anything for granted.  And even though you didn't know him, raise a toast for my friend.

Sorry for your loss Dan, losing a good friend is never a good feeling, but remembering the good times does ease the aching, some.

One thing that has really made me come to terms with is time.

Time is a race. Myself, as others, jump out to a big lead in this race, momentum is on our side, and that's the point where we have to stop and take a look around, enjoy the moments, and appreciate the friends we've met and the things we have seen and done.

We all will lose the race to time, but how you run the race is what makes life meaningful...

Condolences Dan to you, his friends, and the family he leaves behind.

I don't recall the name but for you to write such an impassioned eulogy speaks volumes for the type of guy I imagine he was to make such a lasting impression on you. Without wishing to sound crass, being as I never met him, a guy we can all aspire to be like. 

Life can be real cruel at times. 

God rest Jack. You had a true friend in your buddy Dan. :cheers:

Hail. 

Archived