Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Giants Prediction Thread: Thanksgiving Special Disappointment Spectacular

skins island connection

Based on our history with the Cheating Giants, here's a bingo card worth of things I expect to see happen during this game:

* One of our linemen will have to leave the game early due to the Giants d-line putting a dirty hit on them.

* One of the Giants biggest contributors will leave the game with an injury, it will make no difference and we will not adjust our gameplan at all.

* Whoever we target on the outside will be called for multiple "false start", "illegal motion", or "hands to the face" penalties that negate big plays (in years past its been Reed or Garcon)

* The Giants O-line will be called for less than 2 holding calls (unless its a blowout, and the refs are trying to pad the stats to look even handed)

* There will be at least 2 unnecessary roughness call on our safeties that gives the Giants a drive sustaining first down.  The commentator says "boy the Giants might have gotten a gift there, I didn't see much, that doesn't usually get called" 

* A 2nd or 3rd tier unknown WR will be left wide open along the sideline and score a go ahead score in the 3rd quarter

* The Redskins muff a punt return, get a punt blocked, or have a long return negated by a phantom penalty.  The flag gets enforced but no replay is shown.

* The Redskins get an interception over the middle

* Doctson makes a big play early, and we don't go back to him the rest of the game.

*  The Giants RB coughs up the ball, but the Redskins somehow don't come away with it.

* A fight breaks out, or an unsportsmanlike penalty on the Redskins sets the Giants up near the goal line for an easy score.

* The Giants TE scores or completes a huge 3rd down conversion because DeAngelo Hall was out of position.

Giants haven't been scoring much recently, and the Redskins are "due" for an easy win.  It would be a nice ending to Thanksgiving to not have to be sweating out the final 5 minutes.  Giants make quick drives at the end of each half, but only come away with field goals.  Redskins finally take a lead and keep it.

21-13 Redskins. 

This team just doesn't seem to have a killer instinct. Instead of punishing teams when they're ahead, they seem play soft (more tactically than physically) giving opponents a chance to come back.

That said, I think we get to see Manning's stupid, bewildered, interception-face at least three times on Thursday. We take an early lead, and no matter how hard we try, we're don't allow the giants to catch up.

Redskins  34

giants       13

Redskins bust out to an early 14-0 lead by the end of the first quarter, and extend it to 28-6, holding the Giants to 2 FGs going into the half. The third quarter ends with the Skins up 35-9, and they add another TD to make it 42-12 with 2:34 remaining on the clock. Skins fans everywhere breathe a sigh of relief and raise a glass, singing HTTR!

But the subsequent kickoff is returned for a TD and the 2 point conversion makes it 41-20 with 2:27 left to play.

The kickoff goes to Byron Marshall, who brings it out of the end zone only to fumble at the Skins 8 yard line. Giants recover with 2:22 left in the game. 5 seconds later, another TD with Manning hitting the ghost of OBJ on a fade route. Add the successful two pointer and it's 42-28 with 2:17 to go.

The Giants recover the subsequent onside kick. Manning hits Roger Lewis for a 52 yard TD strike, but somehow breaks his toe on the play without contact. Still, a flag is thrown and the Skins are penalized 15 yards for roughing the passer, to be tacked onto the kickoff. 2 point conversion makes it 42-36 at the two-minute warning.

The Giants come out with another onside kick but this time the Skins recover. Cousins efficiently moves the team down the field, dealing passes to his entire receiving corps, setting up a 3rd and 1 on the 12 with 48 seconds to go. Gruden calls Perine off tackle to the right, and he's snagged for a loss of 2. With 4th and 3, instead of punching in the FG to go up by 9, Gruden keeps the O on the field in hurry-up and Cousins misses Reed when he throws one way and Reed goes the other. He is called for intentional grounding, but the Giants decline and take over on downs.

With 25 seconds to go, Geno Smith takes the reins with the Giants at their own 14. He manages a short completion for a first down that brings the Giants out to the 31 with 19 seconds left, then spikes the ball. On the next play, he can't find an open receiver and runs out of bounds at the Giants 42 with 11 seconds left, going down with a groin pull in the process. On the next play Davis Webb, taking his first NFL snap, finds Ed Eagan wide open at the Redskins 25, hitting him in stride. He runs untouched into the end zone for his first NFL reception and touchdown to tie the game at 42. With 2 seconds left Aldrick Rosas boots home the extra point.

Giants 43

Redskins 42

Dan Snyder fires Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen releases Kirk Cousins immediately following the game. Happy Thanksgiving!!! :giantssuck:

No more two minute warning lapses by the D.  They play from whistle to whistle with no letup.  If this team is not super pissed then they do not care.  I think they care.   The mantra is 6 or we don't go.

I predicted a 10-6 season and I am sticking with it.   

I think Cousin's stays on point in this game and continues to distribute the ball to a number of receivers.  Hey if can put up that many points against the Vikings then he can do it against the Giants.

31 - Redskins

16 - Giants

4 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

No more two minute warning lapses by the D.  They play from whistle to whistle with no letup.  If this team is not super pissed then they do not care.  I think they care.   The mantra is 6 or we don't go.

I predicted a 10-6 season and I am sticking with it.   

I think Cousin's stays on point in this game and continues to distribute the ball to a number of receivers.  Hey if can put up that many points against the Vikings then he can do it against the Giants.

31 - Redskins

16 - Giants

Was it a lapse by the defense or was it a prevent formation on the last drive?

I know Brees is a damn good QB but they were doing great until 5-6 minutes left in the game, then everything fell apart.

I suppose it could be a lack of adjustment by the coaches, but for the Saints to do what they did against the Redskins defense just doesn't add up.

5 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Was it a lapse by the defense or was it a prevent formation on the last drive?

I know Brees is a damn good QB but they were doing great until 5-6 minutes left in the game, then everything fell apart.

I suppose it could be a lack of adjustment by the coaches, but for the Saints to do what they did against the Redskins defense just doesn't add up.

But don't you think there is a trend on this team where they just sort of go flat before the half or the end of the game?  The Viking's, the Saint's even against the 49ers.  There seems to be this sort of letdown in exertion, focus.  I have no idea what it is.   I mean I have seen the same thing for years with the Skin's.

But I do know you are right about the D going into prevent against the Vikings in the last 5 minutes which gave me visions of Haslett to be honest.  Also my perspective was that our O continued to do fairly well in the 2nd half but their D did make some adjustments and they seemed to play with more intensity then they did in the first half and it built up.   And then they began to really rally like you said in the last 5-6 minutes when they scored.  It became really balanced on  both sides of the ball for them IMO. 

8 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

But don't you think there is a trend on this team where they just sort of go flat before the half or the end of the game?  The Viking's, the Saint's even against the 49ers.  There seems to be this sort of letdown in exertion, focus.  I have no idea what it is.   I mean I have seen the same thing for years with the Skin's.

But I do know you are right about the D going into prevent against the Vikings in the last 5 minutes which gave me visions of Haslett to be honest.  Also my perspective was that our O continued to do fairly well in the 2nd half but their D did make some adjustments and they seemed to play with more intensity then they did in the first half and it built up.   And then they began to really rally like you said in the last 5-6 minutes when they scored.  It became really balanced on  both sides of the ball for them IMO. 

Oh yes, I totally agree with ya; IMO this is where Gruden is dropping the ball [ pardon the pun ] because opponents are not going to do the same thing or show you the same look, they will change something up, but Gruden doesn't recognize it because I believe he's too wrapped up in the actual game itself to separate emotion from play calling. By the time he does, the damage is done.

I think the back to back losses will have the team fired up.  Swearinger basically called out the defense two weeks in a row, while continuing to look like a beast in this defense the more the season goes on.

I don't see the Giants defense stopping this offense that has put points up on some of the better defenses in the league over the past few weeks.

If our defense can't contain the Giants offense, in a game where our offense might very well score 30 again?   I won't even know what to say.

Redskins 31

Giants 20

21 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think the back to back losses will have the team fired up.  Swearinger basically called out the defense two weeks in a row, while continuing to look like a beast in this defense the more the season goes on.

I don't see the Giants defense stopping this offense that has put points up on some of the better defenses in the league over the past few weeks.

If our defense can't contain the Giants offense, in a game where our offense might very well score 30 again?   I won't even know what to say

Uncle...

34 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If our defense can't contain the Giants offense, in a game where our offense might very well score 30 again?   I won't even know what to say.

Redskins 31

Giants 20

Swearinger doesn't have a damn thing to say about a single player; he just has to look in the mirror.

He may KNOW the fundamentals of defense, but seeing him against the Saints and how he was playing so far off players, he's not looking to play defense, he's looking for the hi-lite reel plays. Yea, there are times where he plays good, but that can be said about anyone on defense.

Go back and look at him on the last Saints TD, where the Saints player popped the ball in the air then caught it; Swearinger barely gave him a hand check.

He's nothing special.

Redskins 24, Giants 17.  If anyone needs a reminder, here's the Giants mic'd up last season, talking about getting off on knocking the Redskins out of the playoffs.  IMO that team is the most obnoxious one in the NFC East -- it might not feel that way now since they are having a bad season but they are the team more than any other who wouldn't stop talking about how great they were in the off season. 

I don't know whats going to be more disappointing....

Having to spend another Thanksgiving alone in hopes of my Dad finally walking through the front door after waiting a little over a decade for him to return home after he up and left me one fateful Thanksgiving  to go pick up a pack of cigs from thr corner drug store 

OR...... Watching the Skins get their ass whooped by  the Giants? 

Archived