Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC's Verizon Center to be renamed Capital One Arena

Springfield

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox5dc.com/news/272801969-story

WASHINGTON - The Verizon Center is getting a new name. The home of the Capitals and Wizards, and a major concert stop for touring artists from around the world, is changing its name to the Capital One Arena.

The video titled, ‘Welcome to Capital One Arena’ says that a $40 million investment in upgrades will be made along with the name change.

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Sometimes it blows me away how little thought goes into some of these things.

The Capital One Centre would have been clever and a nice hat tap. MCI Center, Verizon Center. Now it's Arena. Pfffft.

That's actually a great idea, but billionaires are dumb... apparently.

Just now, No Excuses said:

Maybe the most amazing thing about Verizon Center is that it's surrounded by amazing restaraunts and bars but itself has some of the crappiest food and beverage choices of a major sporting arena.

I've never been to another NBA/NHL arena.  My suspicion is that, on the inside in the seating bowl, they're mostly all the same.   Unlike a baseball stadium or a football stadium with cool sightlines and features, you've got a basketball court and/or a hockey rink.  I'm sure comfortable seats, legroom, etc have something to do with the actual game experience but I'd think that there's not much difference otherwise.

So that'd leave you with the concourse and the food options.  Verizon Center has always come across as average.  I've enjoyed the area around the stadium but if all things are almost equal in the seating bowl, an NBA/NHL arena really makes the difference on the concourse and the concessions.  

So, the deal for the naming rights is $100 million for 10 years, right?

That's a lot of money to pay out for a name change.  They could've just renamed it Pittsburgh Penguins Arena, since they own that property anyways.

*ducks*

Shouldn't be a huge surprise.  Capital One founder Rich Fairbank is a minority shareholder in the Monumental Entertainment which owns the Washington Capitals and Verizon Center Capital One Arena.

What would have been neat would be if they modified the Capital One logo on the building to replace the 't' with a hockey stick like the Capitals' logo.

6 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Maybe the most amazing thing about Verizon Center is that it's surrounded by amazing restaraunts and bars but itself has some of the crappiest food and beverage choices of a major sporting arena.

The Jose Andres place is supposed to be good as well as the BBQ place first level. But the chicken tenders, meh. And they're like 13 dollars too. Instead of that I get a big plate of Thai food outside for 16 dollars. And you'll get full off that too. 

I am a STH and I attend about 90% of Caps games, I always end up eating outside then going inside. 

7 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Sometimes it blows me away how little thought goes into some of these things.

The Capital One Centre would have been clever and a nice hat tap. MCI Center, Verizon Center. Now it's Arena. Pfffft.

Maybe they wanted to avoid the acronym?

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

They could've just renamed it Pittsburgh Penguins Arena, since they own that property anyways.

I just told that to my husband, (and since the Caps & I are the only reason he watches hockey over the last decade)...I haven't heard him laugh that hard since...well, let's just say it's been a long ****in' time.:angry:

Archived