Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

It's the ultimate bandwagon move, I think I'll go do Dick's and see if I can get a shirt.  I've said it many times before, I'm not a hockey fan but this has been a really memorable week for me, not only for the Caps but moving into a new place and starting a new chapter in my life.  Kinda coincides with what the Caps just did.  So if I ever wear it, it'll really be about that and not trying to be a Caps fan pretending like I've been along for the ride the entire time.  

Watching these games may have flipped a switch though.  I've been to plenty of games before, I went to a few games back in the early 2000s and saw Bondra score a hat trick.  I remember my dad and I going to the Capital Centre in the late 80s for a game.  Not sure why that happened, my dad doesn't like hockey.  I remember watching the gold medal game against Canada a few years ago where Sidney ****ing Crosby scored the game winner with seconds remaining.  Despite the ****ty outcome of that game, it was still one of the most exciting games in any sport I've ever seen.  I wish I understood the strategy and could appreciate it on a deeper level.  

I'm not sure if this will make me a hockey fan or not, but I certainly understand the excitement.  I guess I'll figure it out in the fall if I feel like tuning in to a Caps game to see if they can defend the Cup.

Congrats again to the Caps fans that have been around for years and had to endure years of heartbreak over and over again.  I hope that this championship is everything that you hoped that it'd be.  I can only hope we can all celebrate like this someday over our football team.

This is a monumental moment for me in life. I love the Washington Capitals and I have never felt this happy or anything in my life. I’ve been watching the team religiously since 2010 and can’t say that’s too long compared to some of you. I’ve never seen a championship until last night, I ride or die for the Capitals and Redskins. Spent thousands this year on capitals games and it was worth it all. I’m so happy boys I legit shed a tear last night. LETS GO CAPS! No one can wipe the smile off my face today. Truly amazing.  I’m so proud to call myself a Capitals fan.

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

Every ESPN program right now is talking about Lebron. 

They can **** right off. 

my tea tastes especially sweet this morning. 

I'm really puzzled by the media making this about Ovechkin and not about the Caps generally. I love OV and obviously its been a long road for him, but if you think he's been though a lot its nothing compared to a franchise that hasn't won anything in its 44 year history. All of us who have followed the team for a long time (I went to my first Caps game in 1983) remember the dissapointment of having stacked teams in the 1980s that underachieved, of being bullied and harassed by Lemieux, Jagr, Stevens, Francis and the other Pens in the early 1990s, of finally making it to the Cup in 1998 only to be mauled by an All-Star Red Wings team, of being let down by high draft picks that went bust (eg Alexander Volchkov), and then of course the promise and dissapointment of the OV/Backstrom/Holtby/Kuznetsov era. Last night was not about one player but about a franchise generally -- the "ice-breakers, goal-shakers" -- the Caps! But of course the media choses to ignore that. :(

42 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not sure I like that he says "wont happen again."  

They could win 7 more times in a row, but this feeling as a city and this excitement will not happen again for the hockey team. I assume a Nats championship or Redskins championship would be met with similar or greater elation. But, the first is always the best...maybe that's what he meant. 

5 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Bigger question: Did the Mystics win? :kickcan:

I just heard on 980 that they lost.

The curse has been passed onto the Mystics...we just needed a sacrificial scapegoat to serve as vessel to hold it.

Sorry Mystics.

Reflecting on this season past, it’s truly remarkable.

The Caps weren’t anything special in the regular season.  They won the division but were the lowest totaling division winner (off the top of my head).  Oshie suffered an injury that kept him out for a period of time.  Holtby looked very shaky, so much so that Grubauer too the reigns down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Ovie was Ovie.

Its really an exercise is playing your best hockey at the right time.  Fine tuning the team to be most effective.

You could start to tell that this was something special down the stretch of the regular season.  Holtby looks pedestrian and Grubauer looked great.  The defense and the team in front of the goal really put it together at this point.  The breakout became incredible, opponent puck time in our defensive zone was cut to a minimum.  They started to control games in the same fashion that they would in the playoffs.

Grubauer starting games 1 and 2 was a must.  Sadly for him, it didn’t work out.  It looked desperate and Holtby stepped in.  Resfreshed, mentally sharp and resilient, he took the reigns and let us to the Cup.  He faltered sparingly, most goals against were of no fault of his own.  Then, “the save”.  The save will go down in Washington sports lore as one of the most pivotal moments ever.

The team was hot.  Resilient is a word I keep coming back to.  They couldn’t be put down.  If they were punched, they punched back twice as hard.  Once they had a lead in a game, it was almost certain to be over.  The defense and forechecking was oppressive.  The contributions from 3rd and 4th liners was incredible.  Guys like Lars Ellet, Devonte Smith Pelly, Andre Burakovsky, Jay Beagle provided a huge effort that made the Cup win possible.  

The stars played like stars.  Kuznetsov had what could be argued to be a Conn Smythe performance if not for his valiant leader Ovechkin, who deserved it if not for his play for his lifelong achievement.  Wilson.  If not for him, the team lacks much of the tenacity that it brought.  Wilson’s speed, power and play with the puck really provided the spark that the first line had been missing with guys like Knuble or any of the other guys of the past whose names escape me.  Backstrom looked no worse for wear after his hand injury and Oshie played like the warrior that he is.  It’s refreshing to see a player of his size play with speed and control, but also grit and physicality.  Jakub Vrana’s speed was a huge compliment on the second line and showed the ability to blow past the opponents defense.  Those first two lines were unstoppable.

Lastly, the defense.  It looked shaky to start the year.  Man it turned into something special.  Brooks Orpik guys.  Brooks Orpik was incredible.  I don’t know what they gave that guy, must have been the Djoos he was drinking.  He was a force.  Carlson played incredibly responsible with a knack for offense as well.  Here or not, he deserves to get paid this offseason.  Orlov, Niskinen both played exceptionally well.  No mistake, that’s the name of the game.  Not in the least, Kempny was a masterful TDL add.  Somehow he provided the glue that this team needed on defense to hold it all together.

Trotz.  Can’t give enough credit to the man behind the bench.  The guy got us there and through all the years both here and in Nashville, I can’t think of a man more deserving of a Stanley Cup than Barry Trotz (save Ovechkin).  From a coach whose job could have been in jeopardy after this season, he proved the doubters wrong.  This wasn’t the best Caps team, but this was the right Caps team.

So happy that the fans in DC last night were not left disappointed.  The Caps gave the fans exactly what they wanted.  For once, a DC sports team came through as promised.

What the playoffs did was confirm what we already know: the regular season in hockey is largely irrelevant. The Cup winner comes down to who is hot late, has the best(or at least an elite)goalie, and gets a little lucky along the way.

We finally had all those things. The two prior years we were on cruise control to end the year and it carried over into the playoffs. Holtby had great regular seasons but was shaky in the playoffs(vice versa this year). And we never ever EVER got lucky. This year I'm pretty sure the posts that hit for our opponent or empty nets missed were like 10 to 1 for our opponent.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

They could win 7 more times in a row, but this feeling as a city and this excitement will not happen again for the hockey team. I assume a Nats championship or Redskins championship would be met with similar or greater elation. But, the first is always the best...maybe that's what he meant. 

No way. Skins have already won 3, and the Nats are new kids on the block -- they do not have the unique and dramatic history of the Washington Capitals. I mean if you really go back and look at the history of the Caps it rivals the Red Sox in terms of it incredible twists and turns. Neither the Skins nor the silly little Nats can boast that. 

5 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Is there a gofundme page set up to pay Trotz yet?

Personally I think he's retiring. There is a rumor that he quietly told Torterella in the handshake line after beating Colombus that he's done after this year.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Any idea if and where Caps went to celebrate last night?

There's a vid of Ovi on Barstool Sports celebrating at some kind of club with the Cup

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Does this cement Ovi as DC best athlete ever?

He already has been for a while now. Please don't respond with "SAMMY BAUGH!!@~1". Guy played like 300 years ago when sports weren't really a thing.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:52 AM, Warhead36 said:

It'll be sweet to clinch the division in Pittsburgh tonight, a preview of thing to come when we finally KO them in the playoffs en route to the Cup. #tryingtobepositive

Just to remind you guys who called it more than two months ago.

14 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

No way. Skins have already won 3, and the Nats are new kids on the block -- they do not have the unique and dramatic history of the Washington Capitals. I mean if you really go back and look at the history of the Caps it rivals the Red Sox in terms of it incredible twists and turns. Neither the Skins nor the silly little Nats can boast that. 

Maybe not for the die hards...I think you're right. 

But, both teams have so many more fans that the impact would be felt. Both the Skins and Nats have fan bases that have felt a different type of suffering that rivals the "twists and turns" you mentioned. DC baseball fans haven't seen a title in generations and had to deal with not having a team, etc. Half of the football fan base has tasted success and has no sunk to the depths of irrelevancy so a NFL title would be sweet. Even the Wizards would tap into the long-standing basketball traditions of this city....

You'll see (if it happens). A title in any of the three other sports will make this city explode as much or more than what you saw over the past week...

Somewhere this guy is flashing a wide, gap-toothed smile

2dc1144f269f4c6cb606307d3a32462e_front.j

20 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Agree somewhat, but athough the Nats are relative newcomers, major league baseball in DC has a long and torturous history, with heartache and futility that rivals Boston, Chicago or any other city.

Eller got his stick behind Fleury and swatted the puck into the net, the decisive goal with 7:37 remaining that lifted Washington to a 4-3 lead.

>> This gave me a flashback to 70 chip which occurred with about 10 mins to go in the game.

Archived