Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

6 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The agenda driven media is using the Garcon/DJax exodus as the biggest reason we will fail this year.....give me a break...Our WR core is better and deeper....it is more versatile.....I full expect us to be a top 10 red zone team.

Yeah the mantra for the big drop off for the Redskins this season and its more of a national media driven thing than a local media thing is losing D-Jax and Garcon is a disaster.   Personally, I think the national media is way off on this. 

And while I get those who are saying, lets see how it pans out first.  Personally, I think the Wrs are actually going to be better this year.  I think Pryor and Doctson will be pure studs.  I was into both guys before we acquired them.   I wanted Doctson in the draft and wanted Pryor in FA.

If Pryor could put up a 1000 yards with bad QB play in Cleveland where he was the only legit target, imagine here?   A couple of different Cleveland sports reporters on different shows played up the Redskins getting a gem in Pryor and gushed -- nonstop work ethic among other things.    And Doctson has sticky hands, he's tall but also like Pryor he has a big catch radius.  D. Hall talked Doctson up recently in camp as having the best hands he's seen save Larry Fitzgerald.   So far on offense Doctson seems to have the most buzz for play in camp -- granted its early.

And I get those who say lets see before we get jazzed about either guy.  I agree with that to an extent but IMO the potential of both WRs are through the roof.   I am actually more jazzed about this combination than I was with D. Jax and Garcon.  And I like both D. Jax and Garcon.

I like the potential here, but there are also questions marks and probably a lot less depth than many want to admit.  Then there's the question of whether to include the TEs (specifically Reed) in the "receivers" group. At just WR, there's no one as proven as either Jackson or Garcon were entering last year. And if you go by what money they got in free agency, people aren't exactly high on Pryor (one year $6 million) or Quick (one year $855,00) either. Doctson has basically been injured, Grant has done little in three seasons, Davis is a 6th round pick, and Harris was an UDFA last year. Which leaves Crowder as the best returning player. But Crowder and Pryor could be very good and if Doctson is healthy and productive, then that's a dangerous trio.  Anything beyond that is just gravy

Its known I'm high on Doctson, I'll feel even better as the summer goes on if he is fine. The specific injury he had, though tricky to diagnose is supposed to usually heal 100%... I hope so.

Did anyone hear Bashaud Breeland and JP Finlay talking about the wide reciever set with Pryor and Crowder lineming up bunched together? Man that will be hard to defend... ( with Doctson running a post over top... Reed being J Reed... Perine pass blocking or a quick hit up the gut ...Could be amazing)

I feel good about our new receivers and am very confident we'll move the ball between the 20's like always.  The big unknown is the Red Zone.  Apparently Pryor has better stats as a Red Zone target than either Garçon or DJax so I am optimistic we'll see improvement. And, with an improved run game in the Red Zone via Samje Perine, maybe our receivers will be able to get more open.

We will have no problems here. By mid-season, the media will be praising the team for having the foresight not to spend big on Jackson and Garcon. 

The biggest change with this group is the versatility. Jackson is a one-trick pony. Occasionally, you'll see him catch a pass on an out route along the sideline. But we mostly got production from him going deep and opening things up for the rest of the receivers. Defenses won't be able to stay in essentially the same game plan all game next season, because Pryor and Doctson have the capability to go deep, but to also be effective in other areas on the field. Garçon was not much of a deep threat, and there were way too many games where it would be the third quarter and I realize he just got his first catch of the game. 

As good as those guys were, neither of them were a #1 WR and both Pryor and Doctson have the potential to be that for us. Crowder is a beast. Quick provides better depth than we had previously. 

I will only be concerned if Ryan Grant isn't cut during preseason. 

I just think it's hilarious, the stark contrast of the thoughts showing up on Doctson now vs a few months ago. 

The majority of comments  just a few months ago on extremeskjns were that his career was over, he was a homesick baby, bust, etc. 

im glad the sky isn't falling. I'm hoping the best for him, he has the talent to be a great player and potential major contributor. 

Thank god our FO doesn't give up on first round picks after year 1 

On 5/26/2017 at 5:59 PM, Vanguard said:

I just saw a comment on You Tube that some people think Philadelphia has a better group by comparison.  I don't think so.  What do you think?

Ok, the correct answer here:  They'd better. That defense has notable swagger thus far in. By all indications, this is going to be a physical defense. The offense is solid, and should be provided favorable down, distance, scoring opportunity. Point being? This offense MIGHT not be asked to produce as much as in previous years.  Just good solid game management, and opportunistic at the right times. Plus, honestly we don't know the upper limits of these two players.. They may very well exceed expectations.  Neither is a joke. Now give them the right parts around them:  a jackhammer inspired run game; way above average tight ends; Crowder; and throw in a rather large o-line.  Yea, they'd better hope like hell they are better.  Their gonna need it. :)    

Me personally.....

Of course there are questions regarding this cast of WR's.  But there is no doubt there's tons of potential and talent.

We have the right system, with the right QB and an above average OL all helping out.  So we will, not should, be fine.  It's just a matter of putting it all together and when will that happen.  It wouldn't surprise me if we had 2 - 1000 yard receivers again.

Below average?

Okay so we lost 2 1000 receivers last season  In Jackson and Garcon. As much as i loved those guys I could see no benefit in keeping both on past this year to long-term contracts.

We have replaced them with a 1000 yard receiver in Pryor - who has made it then crashed out of the NFL only to resurrect himself again  at a different position . I am amazed we got him on the money we did. We also added Davis in the draft and Brian Quick who is at the minute a camp body, but had his best season of his career last year. 

Doctson - who everyone wrote off - and there is no overstatement there - was a stud at College - he did EXACTLY what the doctors told him to do and did not try to push things. If it was tendonitis it is one of those things that only go away IF you let it and it has ruined atheletes careers. 

We expect him to what - contribute nothing if healthy? 

And then there is Crowder and the tail enders - one of who i really hope will not be Grant but i think that will come down to special teams contributions. 

I think the TE groups is interersting - Paul is one of those guys I always root for - in 2014 he kind of broke out then 2015 was the starter ahead of Reed prior to his injury . I think Vernon Davis adds quality depth and Sprinkle rounds out an interesting group, 

Finally you have the RBs and I really like Chris Thompson - again had a mini break out season last year - He is not a guy who can carry the load but can be a really effective pass catching back . 

One thing you have to remember when you do look at the numbers for Jackson and Garcon is our offense was essentially one dimensional for most of the season - Had we had an effective running game and and OC (as much as I like McVey this was an issue) who will stick with the run their impact might not have been as important ;. 

If we are more balanced on offense then I think the WR corp will be much more effective . 

10 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Now who's the one being dramatic. I don't recall anyone "giving up on him". Was there concern? Sure. But I don't think anyone credible suggested we throw in the towel on him.  Here's to a thousand yards and ten TDs.

Seems there are selective memories. When he's getting called a bum and a bust, I'd call that throwing in the towel on a player(albeit, only as much as us fans can anyways haha).

And of course, not everyone was expressing that sentiment regarding doctson, but we all know the squeakiest wheels get the attention(oil). I was being a bit hyperbolous. 

Im really just posting that out of excitement, not to be dramatic(I don't think it was). I'm glad to see some hope and excitement surrounding him, rather than accusations of phantom injuries, etc. 

All I got to say the national media is so freaking hateful of the Redskins.  You look at some articles from years past which call Garcon "a solid procession receiver" and DJax "one trick pony".  Both were criticized while playing for us as not having the size to go up and get a ball.  The minute they leave OMG, the redskins screwed up letting two great WR talents leave.  Nothing about the fact that they were not existent,  especially DJax in the redzone.  Nothing about the fact that they will be over 30 this year.  Nothing about the fact that the Redskins replace them with Pryor, himself a 1000 yard receiver while playing his first year at the position with a bunch of scrubs for QBs and Quick a similar receiver to Garcon who is 3 inches taller and showed talent playing with Ram scrub QBs himself.

But most of all no one is mentioning that Crowder will be going into his 3rd year and possibility being the best slot receiver in the NFL.  Reed basically being a WR in a TEs body and Davis still good enough to be considered dangerous.  Doctson, arguably the best WR in the 2016 draft and fully healthy also doesn't get mentioned.

Again I equate this to the Redskins hate the national media have for us.  Myself I feel we have actually upgraded at WR.  I feel that Cousins will be even better than in years past as a QB.  Why not he has been better 3 years in a row.  I feel that Doctson will get at least 800 plus yards and 7 TDs and Pryor has at least 1000 yards before the 12 game of the season.  But the WR that will blow minds will be Crowder.  I just feel this guy is about to take his considerable game to another level.

I recall back in 1986 we went from Joe Thiesmann at QB and John Riggins at RB from the 1985 season to Jay Schroder at QB and George Rogers at RB.

Joe Gibbs was asked how he felt about it during preseason and said something like "We changed the engine and we don't know yet how its going to run'. Thats kind of were I am on our receivers. On paper I think we look good but we are relying on potential and promise with Pryor and Doctson.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:18 AM, GothSkinsFan said:

Our receiving corps will be the best in the league by the end of the year.  Doctson = Monk, Pryor = Sanders, and Crowder = Clark.  Robert Davis will become a stud, a WR with the blocking of a TE.  Add in Reed, Davis (who can still catch), and sleeper Sprinkle, plus Perine will surprise out of the backfield.  We will move the ball in the air.

This ... stuff like this drives me crazy. :wacko: Let's keep the enthusiasm in the stadium at least.  

:229:The Rook

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

This ... stuff like this drives me crazy. :wacko: Let's keep the enthusiasm in the stadium at least. 

:229:The Rook

I'm knocking this one out like Bryce Harper clobbering a Hunter Strickland pitch that's actually in the strike zone.

Archived