Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1984?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1984?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1984?

• Beverly Hills Cop
    • Ghostbusters
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Gremlins
    • The Karate Kid
    • Police Academy
    • Footloose
    • Romancing the Stone
    • Splash
    • Purple Rain
    • Amadeus
    • Tightrope
    • The Natural
    • Revenge of the Nerds
    • Bachelor Party
    • Red Dawn
    • The Terminator
    • All of Me
    • Places in the Heart
    • Conan the Destroyer
    • A Nightmare on Elm Street
    • Sixteen Candles
    • Children of the Corn
    • Other

Amadeus, easily. One of the greatest movies ever made. If you haven't seen it, put it on your top 10 things to do before you die. Seriously.

2nd Ghostbusters, 3rd Romancing the Stone (although that one hasn't aged all that well)

Two things I always notice about this scene. 

1)  They use the wrong sound effects for the guns between 1:10 and 1:15.  And then AGAIN, at 1:21.

2)  Reese knocks the guy out cold...with a knee to the midsection...at 2:12. 

Otherwise, it's such a poignant scene.  Seems like a mindless robot, programmed to do one thing.  Yet, you see clever, analytic thinking here.  Trying the passive approach first - then looking down the hall to plan his path, sizing up the frame of the front desk area to see if a car can knock it down, determining that a car CAN knock it down.  Then putting the plan in to motion.

Purple Rain was that moment when a formerly marginal but growing presence in the rock/pop scene totally blew up. For those of us who identified with him and followed Prince from the beginning, or in my case, as close to the beginning as you could get in a small town in Florida, it was total nirvana. I had never previously watched any movie more than once. I saw Purple Rain 11 or 12 times.

Beverly Hills Cop!  I have seen that movie so many times and even though 80s humor isn't so funny anymore, Murphy still kills me.  

His facial expressions, body language, the supercops thing...everything kills me here.

This one, the whole tirade and then when the hotel manager quotes the rate...his facial expression at 1:27:

Even when Serge is the focus of the scene, Murphy does a great job of letting him have his moment:

Followed by Terminator, Indy, Karate Kid, The Natural, Red Dawn...1984 was awesome.

So many to choose from...I went with Amadeus, but it could have been Terminator or Beverly Hills Cop. Spinal Tap is the one I've quoted from the most over the years - hazards of being a guitar player. Splash and Romancing the Stone were two of my favorites. Same with American Dreamer, a nearly forgotten classic. And kudos to Steve McQueen for remembering Blood Simple, the movie that put the Coen Brothers on the map.

7 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Amadeus was SO boring back then. I have not watched it since and was shocked when it won so many awards. 

I think for my favorite I'll go with Karate Kid and Purple Rain for a tie. 

So you think Karate Kid and Purple Rain were deserving of awards? What about Police Academy?

The Muppet Movie? All deserving of Oscars, according to you!

The title of the topic is what was YOUR favorite. NOT what was the BEST movie. 

Certainly don't sit here and tell me what I like. 

Did I say either of them deserved awards ? Besides the Purple Rain soundtrack...which I don't recall saying either, but I will state it now. 

Side note: You, as someone that was recently banned, come at me better than that. 

Here comes the...BOOM...

Trust me, you don't want it. 

According to me you are an

Archived