Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Bruce won't be shown the door until we have a new stadium deal in place.

In terms of on-field production and results, Gruden will be shown the door before Allen will...but I don't expect either to be let go before 2020 at the earliest.

You are probably right as long as he gets Kirk signed to a LTD. If he does not, I believed the clock starts ticking - loudly.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You are probably right as long as he gets Kirk signed to a LTD. If he does not, I believed the clock starts ticking - loudly.

I agree with this especially in the long term.  I think Kirk helps Bruce survive any perceived FO dysfunction.  Among other things, I think they can survive a mediocre operation with Kirk at the helm -- with people coming back on this thread saying see, the sky isn't falling, we went 10-6, 11-5, etc.  

But you remove a franchise QB from the equation and you couple that with the typical mediocre FO operation that we've gotten under Danny's regime -- IMO if so we will get the same results as we've typically gotten during that era -- 5-11, 6-10, and an occasional 3-13, and 9-7.   If Kirk doesn't sign a LTC, Bruce is on the clock. Although, I agree the stadium deal buys him time. 

On 5/23/2017 at 4:35 AM, goskins10 said:

That's only if you feel it's next to impossible for the Redskins to win with any other QB--college or pro--other than Cousins.

I don't think Snyder cares f Cousins is signed to a LTD nearly as much as he cares if the Skins win. If Bruce basically tells Snyder "We'll be ok letting Cousins walk, (fill in the blank) will be an even better QB within 2 years, trust me"...and then (fill in the blank) actually does become a quality starting QB and the Skins are still playoff contenders in December, Allen is more than safe. But again, if the believe is that Cousins is the only QB that can take the Redskins to winning seasons for at least the next 3-4 years, then yeah, losing Cousins will put Allen on the hot seat very quickly. But so far, they fired Shanahan and Scot most likely at Allen's suggestion, and extended his hand-picked head coach. He's safer than many many want to believe. Probably best to hope they bring in another GM (and not by title-only) instead of hoping Allen will be gone.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

That's only if you feel it's next to impossible for the Redskins to win with any other QB--college or pro--other than Cousins.

I don't think Snyder cares f Cousins is signed to a LTD nearly as much as he cares if the Skins win. If Bruce basically tells Snyder "We'll be ok letting Cousins walk, (fill in the blank) will be an even better QB within 2 years, trust me"...and then (fill in the blank) actually does become a quality starting QB 

Naturally.  I don't think the Cousins debate here is fueled by anything other then winning.  It's not that I like Kirk personally more than Colt so he has to be the guy.   It's that I don't think Colt can play as well as Kirk.  But yeah if Bruce reassures Danny that he can pull off in the future what the regime including under Bruce's tenure repeatedly failed to do in the past and failed miserably and at great expense (aside from ironically Kirk) but this time they actually pull it off, then Bruce would be vindicated.

Just recalling posts on this subject, I think most people see it this way.  A.  Hard for any team to find a franchise QB -- its usually about trial and error that takes place over many years versus getting lucky quickly.  B.  We've already seen many of the people in the building fail spectacularly at finding a franchise QB save Kirk. C.  Dump Kirk and play go fish again -- we expect that to fail.  The odds are simply against them.  And nothing about Bruce's background or for that matter Scott Campbell's indicate that they are above average at fishing for franchise QBs.

But I do think if Bruce pulls off signing Kirk, he'd be likely locking in long term security for himself.  I don't see the Redskins front office operation as terrible, I see it the way its currently constructed as so so.  Mediocre.    And if I am correct, if they are so so in FA and the draft (with highs and lows in the mix) like IMO they've been for the most part for over 20 years during the Danny regime -- I actually think with Kirk in the fold they will still be good.   

I've been reading that Domenik would join the Seahawks scouting staff, did that not happen? Wonder if they were just floating his name as a favor on the job market. He would be yet another Tampa connection hire. It's getting comical at this point. 

No interest in A.J. Smith unless its just he sends in scouting reports when he feels like it for a fee. He's extremely disliked around the NFL and known by other GMs as "The Lord of No Rings" because he's so difficult to negotiate with and disliked. Agents and players generally dislike him for similar reasons, he hates spending even more than Bruce seems to. No thanks. Plus he's been out of the game too long to jump back in at a higher exec level. I want someone who is obsessed with football. 

Found this extremely interesting:

Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer 1m1 minute ago

Owners pass resolution loosening standard on GM interviews. Now job won't require final say over 53 to compel teams to let candidates int'w.

I wonder who pushed for this? Who out there was possibly struggling to get candidates to interview for their top personnel position that doesn't include final say? Hmmm... one ponders.  :huh:

10 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I wonder who pushed for this? Who out there was possibly struggling to get candidates to interview for their top personnel position that doesn't include final say? Hmmm... one ponders.  :huh:

This is cool. So now teams can't deny us permission to interview guys. They will now get the chance to deny us personally, which is probably pretty satisfying.

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

The other owners are helping us out, then?...

spongebob-rainbow-its-opposite-day.jpg

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The other owners are helping us out, then?...

"Helping" us like, "lol, those idiots want WHAT to change!? Ok, let's let them have that so we can allow them every opportunity to be stupid... don't want them being forced into a proper hiring process or to structure things right because of an obvious, common sense, rule that's been around forever!" 

I hate how negative they've made me over this crap. Just be normal so I can resume being my blissfully homerrific self, for God's sake! :ols: 

I still think Mayock eventually hops on board. With that Schefter report among others, it seemed like too much smoke not to be fire. I get the whole power struggle thing is very unattractive, but this roster is deep and talented. The rest of the East is getting better also so the path to the playoffs will be tougher, but if we sneak in, we will make noise. I have no doubt about that 

Chad Forbes‏ @nfldraftbites 20h
20 hours ago

More
Mike Mayock Redskins talk heating up league circle. Consensus fed up draft coverage and if philosophical marriage exists he'll head to D.C.

I don't want to believe it.

But I will admit that he was very close to cracking this year with all the ridiculous mid-round draft pick announcement gimmicks when he just wanted to talk about the prospects. 

He wouldn't have final say here and I don't respect his eye for talent enough to think he'd be a vital addition to our draft room...so in the end this would just be a gimmick hire by Allen, kind of a distraction from the real issue in the FO structure. 

I'd be extremely disappointed. 

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He wouldn't have final say here and I don't respect his eye for talent enough to think he'd be a vital addition to our draft room...so in the end this would just be a gimmick hire by Allen, kind of a distraction from the real issue in the FO structure. 

I'd be extremely disappointed. 

Mayock's biggest weakness, to me, is that he likes to many guys (and doesn't want to be critical of them)...and I think that is a product of being in the "media"

id be willing to bet that if he didn't have to make his thoughts public (on these guys biggest day of their lives to date) he might sing a different tune. 

Not who id like as pseudo GM but I think he is fine as a talent evaluator (another guy in the room).

20 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

is that he likes to many guys

too

20 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Mayock's biggest weakness, to me, is that he likes to many guys (and doesn't want to be critical of them)...and I think that is a product of being in the "media"

id be willing to bet that if he didn't have to make his thoughts public (on these guys biggest day of their lives to date) he might sing a different tune. 

Not who id like as pseudo GM but I think he is fine as a talent evaluator (another guy in the room).

It would be better than not having a GM... but I understand your points. 

Hah, this thread is highly entertaining today.

A few thoughts.  One, what in the world is "we are ahead of schedule" with the new stadium, and how is that going to help Allen's status?  Its 10 years off.  It literally should not even enter the consciousness for another 5 years.  Saying "its ahead of schedule" its the equivalent of saying instead of twiddling their thumbs for 5 years they are going to twiddle their thumbs for 6.

Also, I think the biggest concern isnt who doesnt have control over the final 53, its who does.  If its kept from all of these people who should have it, the person who does have it is very scary.  That in essence means either Bruce has control over the final 53, and frankly, he just doesnt have the resume, or Gruden has it, and a coach having that is a disaster(unless you are in NE).

Yes right after the monkey draft incident  I told you guys that if we want Mike. This is the moment to strike. NFL Netwerk has become a too much entertainment thing for him. He is just a old skool football guy. I remember a quote in offseason from a GM who said something like: I don't know how he does it. But he is at every pro day. He is grinding hard. Thats why I always talk to him. He puts in the work.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Name Doug Williams GM, promote Scott Campbell to Senior Scout or something important sounding, hire Mayock be a GMSM type of assistant, with Bruce retaining all the powers of a traditional GM, because Redskins.

It did not work out that bad right?

It's not that I'm in love with it...but I kinda like the idea of a Scot guy who focus on the draft. Builds a great draft board. Comes up with targets for FA. In offseason bring Gruden in to check if the targets fit the team and the play calling. Then have Bruce work with that info to build a plan and have Shaffer dude work out the numbers on contracts. 

It's more a collective proces then one true GM who just has final say. Thats something that I like personally but....it can also lead to a very political systemen where personal issues and power struggles have a big part. Thats something Dan needs to keep an eye on. 

I guess what I'm going off of, if it's true is that Snyder supposedly really likes Mayock.  If Mayock is receptive to taking the job, I believe he is at the very least one if not THE hire as GM described by BA (i.e., we know however that BA has final say on personnel etc.).  Mayock would have to agree to that. 

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

It did not work out that bad right?

.but I kinda like the idea of a Scot guy who focus on the draft. Builds a great draft board. Comes up with targets for FA. In offseason bring Gruden in to check if the targets fit the team and the play calling. Then have Bruce work with that info to build a plan and have Shaffer dude work out the numbers on contracts. 

I was thinking about something like this... Our best two drafts (seemingly) have come with Scott in the consultant/adviser mode and Campbell, Allen, et al. running operations. Think about it... when we hired McCloughan's scouting firm we had a heck of a nice draft. This year, McCloughan headed up all the primary research and then the people left added, tinkered, but executed the draft well based on the info provided.

That make me think what we need most is someone who understands talent and can grade it properly. We then do have people who can set up a good draft board and run a draft pretty well. We also have a (supposedly) very good numbers guy in Schaffer. What we lack is someone who's excellent in identifying the talent in the first place.

I don't know if have it quite right, but it seems to me that Allen et al. do pretty well at running the draft if someone else does the prep.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

That make me think what we need most is someone who understands talent and can grade it properly. We then do have people who can set up a good draft board and run a draft pretty well. We also have a (supposedly) very good numbers guy in Schaffer. What we lack is someone who's excellent in identifying the talent in the first place.

I don't know if have it quite right, but it seems to me that Allen et al. do pretty well at running the draft if someone else does the prep.

Maybe so.  To me this is the beggars can't be choosers category -- if we can't have a proper management structure and Bruce has to be the final say then lets at least get a top personnel guy making the recommendations. I am on board with that.   Bruce himself described the draft process as simply the draft/personnel experts in the building rate the players and on draft day he simply strictly goes by those scores and takes the highest rated guy.    

Do I think Bruce needs someone to rate these players for him - heck yeah -- I don't see the scores from the personnel guy as incidental but actually the critical element.   Bruce can look at his sheet and say ok my pick is up and the guys in the building rated Anderson as the top score left, so lets take him.  And, some argue that Bruce's ability to follow these recommendations makes him really good at his job.   I don't see how but to each their own.   I think anyone of us can follow a sheet with scores prepared to us by McClougan or Campbell or whomever and just select the guys with the higher scores when our pick is up. 

So since Bruce admitted that's how they do it and according to multiple reporters Bruce really really really likes functioning this way -- then the guy making these recommendations is the be all and end all at least in terms of the draft.    The thing is though the GM spot is more than just the draft.  

John Keim got into it this week after talking to people in the business where he explained based on those conversations how some insiders see the GM position.  

Keim's rap is for GMs the key is they are a gatekeeper and a key element as for checks and balances.  For example, a good GM should have a long term view versus lets say the head coach who doesn't always came at it from that perspective.   There is an art to building the roster over the long term.  Keim also said from what he's heard, its very unlikely they are the going to hire someone who will hold the power.  They are much more likely to hire people who give a hand in scouting and personnel evaluation but without authority to make the final call.

Archived