Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Thanks for the grammar lesson but "I'm a man! I'm 40! I'm not-- I'm not a kid." And I am typing on an iPhone 6...so typos can be expected...

This was brought to me by a mother......of children!

I'll be disappointing if its Mayock instead of Doug Williams.  If we're going to have a figure head with Allen having final say, I think Williams deserves it more. Plus there's like little to no black gms, has he even been interviewed yet?

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll be disappointing if its Mayock instead of Doug Williams.  If we're going to have a figure head with Allen having final say, I think Williams deserves it more. Plus there's like little to no black gms, has he even been interviewed yet?

Im just not into hiring a guy because "he deserves it". I want to hire a guy because hes the best.  Its time for the Redskins to stop just hiring people because they are friends, or nice, or are former players, and hire people who are just amazingly good at what they do.  At what point is there any evidence that Doug Williams knows personnel, other than hes a former player?  

Frankly, my opinion is if someone hasnt had to work their way up as a scout, they probably shouldnt be GM.

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

Im just not into hiring a guy because "he deserves it". I want to hire a guy because hes the best.  Its time for the Redskins to stop just hiring people because they are friends, or nice, or are former players, and hire people who are just amazingly good at what they do.  At what point is there any evidence that Doug Williams knows personnel, other than hes a former player?  

Frankly, my opinion is if someone hasnt had to work their way up as a scout, they probably shouldnt be GM.

You're thinking too much. Doug is better at what he does and with more experience then Mayock.  He's already been a scout.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You're thinking too much. Doug is better at what he does and with more experience then Mayock.  He's already been a scout.

I'm not advocating for the hiring of Mayock at all, but Doug Williams?  Aside from winning the SB as Redskins QB, what has he done as a part of any NFL front office that is of merit?

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

I'm not advocating for the hiring of Mayock at all, but Doug Williams?  Aside from winning the SB as Redskins QB, what has he done as a part of any NFL front office that is of merit?

He was a scout for Jacksonville and Director of Professional Scouting for Tampa Bay.

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He deserves nothing, and this is a personnel job. He does not have the resume for that position unless we're just shuffling titles around. (Note: I'm not advocating for Mayock either). 

Williams has spent a couple years here and a couple years there at all levels of football operations--coahing, evaluation, administration. Some may think this makes him well-rounded. I think it means he never proved good enough to stick anywhere or in any specific capacity, and nepotism keeps getting him different jobs, where he doesn't really succeed, receive acclaim, or get promoted. Or, you know, even keep the current job for any real length of time, through most of his stops.

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He deserves nothing, and this is a personnel job. He does not have the resume for that position unless we're just shuffling titles around. (Note: I'm not advocating for Mayock either). 

Williams has spent a couple years here and a couple years there at all levels of football operations--coahing, evaluation, administration. Some may think this makes him well-rounded. I think it means he never proved good enough to stick anywhere or in any specific capacity, and nepotism keeps getting him different jobs, where he doesn't really succeed, receive acclaim, or get promoted. Or, you know, even keep the current job for any real length of time, through most of his stops.

Allen is calling the shots anyway, but I'd like to see if Williams can grow into it considering he is well rounded.  If he sucks, can him, but I see the concern with him possibly being mediocre.

There's no argument that he isn't at best mediocre. And he's already in the organization contributing in whatever way he's capable, so a new title doesn't change anything. Much better to bring in another talent evaluation guy or three from the outside to get more football brains in the room alongside him. The title is basically meaningless with Allen in control anyways so promoting him at the expense of giving an outsider the spot doesn't make sense to me.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There's no argument that he isn't at best mediocre. And he's already in the organization contributing in whatever way he's capable, so a new title doesn't change anything. Much better to bring in another talent evaluation guy or three from the outside to get more football brains in the room alongside him. The title is basically meaningless with Allen in control anyways so promoting him at the expense of giving an outsider the spot doesn't make sense to me.

Laughing at wanting a better figurehead, I like that, that's funny.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Laughing at wanting a better figurehead, I like that, that's funny.

What do you mean "better figurehead"? No one is getting hired or promoted to a position above Bruce Allen in the organization on his watch, obviously. We're just talking about adding more talent to the brain trust he's pulling player grades from, and Doug Williams is already in-house so he's not an addition. A new title does nothing. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What do you mean "better figurehead"? No one is getting hired or promoted to a position above Bruce Allen in the organization on his watch, obviously. We're just talking about adding more talent to the brain trust he's pulling player grades from, and Doug Williams is already in-house so he's not an addition. A new title does nothing. 

I said it before I don't know why we even bother hiring a GM.  Like I said, I'd be open to Williams managing the front office, even if that means getting clearance from Allen on certain personel moves.  That may even protect him from himself, I like the way Allen's draft went.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Allen is calling the shots anyway, but I'd like to see if Williams can grow into it considering he is well rounded.  If he sucks, can him, but I see the concern with him possibly being mediocre.

I dont think its a good argument to make that you can hire a guy because you can fire him if hes bad.  Well thats just great and we get left with a bad team for 2 years.  Or you can just hire someone really really good and not have to fire him.

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I dont think its a good argument to make that you can hire a guy because you can fire him if hes bad.  Well thats just great and we get left with a bad team for 2 years.  Or you can just hire someone really really good and not have to fire him.

It's the same arguement for anyone we hire, hope they do well, if they don't replace them.

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

During his tenure in Jacksonville and Tampa Bay, they failed to find quality talent am I wrong? 

I don't want to say "no".  He was only in Jacksonville for one year, but in the time he was with Tampa Bay they had a couple winning records and playoff appearances.

If Dominik is in play, I think Doug is out or likely at least not elevated.   Some of the Redskins beat reporters suggested that Dominik canned Doug but they called it a mutual departing for PR sake.  And they don't like each other supposedly.  Grant Paulsen said he has two sources with the club who tell him that Doug is below average as a talent evaluator.  If the exchange with Scot and the guy at the gas station was true, Scot said the same about Doug but suggested he's a really nice guy.  

The really nice guy part seems to be Doug's hallmark and kudos for him for that because this team arguably needs ambassadors like that.  But I don't see even his staunchest advocates push Doug by talking him up as a stud personnel guy -- its all about its his time or suggesting he's had positions in his career to prepare him.   Just about every 60 something NFL front office guy has a resume.  Vinny had a resume, too.  The question is about Doug IMO is he among the top at their game at personnel.  And I've not heard one person say he is that let alone ever hear him mentioned as a hot commodity or a team even bothering to grant him an interview to work at their front office.

For me heck yes if its putting Doug in a position with more of a PR bent to promote the club.  I think Bruce has his assets but putting on a good PR face for the franchise isn't one of them.  Doug on the other hand comes off genuine.  But heck no for me as for Doug in the GM role.   For me the strongest argument for him in that role by a reporter was them suggesting from what they heard no one has Bruce's back more than Doug.  And that might give him an edge for the role coupled with the nostalgia of the hire.  I am not looking for a guy that has Bruce's back.  That's fine.  But I want a stud evaluator even if Bruce has to be the final say.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/doug-williams-tampa-bay-buccaneers-split-for-a-second-time/1094335

After returning to Tampa to work under then-Bucs general manager Allen in 2004, Williams hoped he was on a path that would lead to a GM post. But he often met resistance when seeking an expanded role in the front office, causing frequent frustration. That continued under Dominik, after Allen was fired in January 2009. Williams' role was mainly evaluating free agents and other possible acquisitions, but he did not appear to be involved in decision making.

This element was part of the reason Williams and Dominik had a series of conversations after last season, as Williams sought more responsibility while Dominik remained reluctant to grant it. They agreed to revisit the conversation after the draft, which led to this decision.

I'm interested in seeing what Mike Mayock could do in a GM role.  I mean the guy grades everyone's draft - he's like a GM of GMs.  I'd also like to see what George Clooney could do as the team physician.  His skills on ER were beyond reproach.  Or, better yet, Dr. Who.  That way when Mike Mayock ****s up the draft, Dr. Who could go back in time to correct it.

I am almost certain we won't be hiring a true GM.  The only guy who could hire a true GM is Snyder.  I guess, Bruce Allen could if he was about to leave the organization.  Real question, is this guy going to be more of a true senior director of scouting or more of a figure head guy?  More of a figure head guy, definitely want Doug Williams.  As a true senior director, probably need to either move up one of our other guys or maybe a relatively young up and comer from outside.

A potential argument for May**** is John Lynch's apparent success in SF. Maybe May**** can do it too. He certainly does his homework and built his name from nothing. 

It it could be a PR hiring, but it also could be a home run swing. Mind you, the danger of taking a hr cut is that you strike out more often. 

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I am almost certain we won't be hiring a true GM.  The only guy who could hire a true GM is Snyder.  I guess, Bruce Allen could if he was about to leave the organization.  Real question, is this guy going to be more of a true senior director of scouting or more of a figure head guy?  More of a figure head guy, definitely want Doug Williams.  As a true senior director, probably need to either move up one of our other guys or maybe a relatively young up and comer from outside.

I get the impression at best we will get a true talent evaluator to provide info to Bruce so he can make the calls.  It's pretty obvious he wants his hands on everything and I'm not sure anyone would even buy a figure head GM.

As someone said earlier, beggars can't be choosers.  We should thank our lucky stars if in the event we do get a legit talent evaluator added to the staff.

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

A potential argument for May**** is John Lynch's apparent success in SF. Maybe May**** can do it too.

- wait I might have missed that "apparent success" is not serious. Sorry I took his comment serious when he was not serious but sarcastisc ?. Never mind I leave my comment for good fun -

Whooow let's slow down. Lynch has had one on paper good draft where his number three rated player fell to 31(?) (So are the other teams that stupid or did Lynch his draft board was complete wrong?) and a team gave him a great deal for second overal pick. 

He has done nothing to even call him a success yet.

Archived