Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

He has done nothing to even call him a success yet.

He executed his first go pretty well. They have a ton of cap space, he didn't overspend or get ripped off on bad trades, etc. Now, you are right... we don't know how his draft or free agents will pan out, but at first glance... he did pretty well. Certainly better than other GMs have.

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully Russell is wrong in terms of it being the last

Still thinking that Mayock is the pick or lead man they bring in via Chad Forbes (NFL Draftbites) tweet saying that Mayock's name is heating up as the possible hire.

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Still thinking that Mayock is the pick or lead man they bring in via Chad Forbes (NFL Draftbites) tweet saying that Mayock's name is heating up as the possible hire.

Maybe.  I read Chad Forbes tweets, they are entertaining but he doesn't seem plugged in to me, he seems to mostly just pull stuff from area newspapers.

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  I read Chad Forbes tweets, they are entertaining but he doesn't seem plugged in to me, he seems to mostly just pull stuff from area newspapers.

Thanks for the head's up, SIP.  I don't follow him, per say so you would know better than I.  Hope he's right on this one though.:)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/30/zero-transparency-in-washington-g-m-replacement-process/

Zero transparency in Washington G.M. replacement process

Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2017, 1:57 PM EDT

Washington hasn’t had a General Manager since clumsily firing Scout McCloughan in March. It’s still not clear when, or if, the franchise will be replacing him.

Whatever Washington ultimately does, it’s doing it with zero transparency. Apart from team president Bruce Allen declaring last week that the team is “getting close to having a final plan,” there has been no indication as to whether or when a decision will be made.

If they’re looking for a new G.M., they’re not casting a broad net. There have been no reports of interviews of persons under contract with other teams, something that inevitably leaks to the media (often to the media owned by the league) once the league office receives the forms in which the request for permission to interview the candidate is made.

It remains possible that Washington won’t be hiring a true G.M., with Allen or someone else holding final say over the roster. That would allow any other team to deny a request to interview an executive currently under contract.

Some league insiders believe that the title ultimately will be given to an in-house candidate, with Eric Schaffer regarded as the clubhouse leader. Whatever Washington does, compliance with the Rooney Rule will be required. And while that may provide some transparency, the team needs only to interview an in-house minority candidate to comply.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/30/zero-transparency-in-washington-g-m-replacement-process/

Zero transparency in Washington G.M. replacement process

Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2017, 1:57 PM EDT

Washington hasn’t had a General Manager since clumsily firing Scout McCloughan in March. It’s still not clear when, or if, the franchise will be replacing him.

Whatever Washington ultimately does, it’s doing it with zero transparency. Apart from team president Bruce Allen declaring last week that the team is “getting close to having a final plan,” there has been no indication as to whether or when a decision will be made.

What's funny, is that the last time PFF/Florio said something similar to this after an Allen presser, we hired McCloughan shortly afterwards lol...

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

What's funny, is that the last time PFF/Florio said something similar to this after an Allen presser, we hired McCloughan shortly afterwards lol...

Yeah Florio is far from a guy that gets things right.  I am trying to figure out what the accusation is -- is it they are trying to skirt the Rooney rule or Bruce isn't being honest when he says they are interviewing a ton of people?

On this one, the proof will be in the pudding when the hire goes down.  We will know soon enough.   Laconfora is coming on 106.7 shortly, he's sometimes plugged into this topic so I'd be interested to hear what he says if the subject comes up.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Florio is far from a guy that gets things right.  I am trying to figure out what the accusation is -- is it they are trying to skirt the Rooney rule or Bruce isn't being honest when he says they are interviewing a ton of people?

I tend to believe it's basically him saying "If this were true we would have heard about it from our sources"...when Scot was hired nobody had a story in advance about us interviewing him, etc. It didn't get reported until someone said that the Redskins were expected to hire Scot as GM within the next day or so.

Or it might be Florio saying "Since you cut off our inside sources you need to be more transparent" lol...

46 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I tend to believe it's basically him saying "If this were true we would have heard about it from our sources"...when Scot was hired nobody had a story in advance about us interviewing him, etc. It didn't get reported until someone said that the Redskins were expected to hire Scot as GM within the next day or so.

Or it might be Florio saying "Since you cut off our inside sources you need to be more transparent" lol...

Often when you announce a GM search or reporters get wind of it, some names often do pop up.   So I get the mindset from Florio.   But the Redskins haven't really done it formally at least as far as being open about it and that includes the Scot hire.  From what I recall in 2015, Bruce didn't tell the world they are doing a full thrust search for the GM position and then landed on Scot.  Scot really came out of the blue, and it wasn't just the name but the idea that they hired a GM in the first place.  If I recall the closest thought to the idea of hiring a GM at the time centered on whether they'd give AJ Smith a larger role.  It looked like it was maybe in play.  But I don't recall Bruce ever saying then, we are going to get ourselves a GM.

As for this time, you got me what's cooking.  But this time just like the previous time isn't marked by Bruce saying they are formally looking for a GM.   And probably what Florio is used to is when a GM departs, that team goes on a search for another GM and names tend to pop up.  But Bruce is likely beating to a different drum.  If the upshot of all of this is they hire an actual GM and that person comes from another team, I'd be impressed with Bruce's ability to keep things quiet throughout.  But I suspect the reason why this is going below the radar is they aren't talking to people for a GM spot or if they are they are zeroing on one guy who they have managed to get that person to keep quiet.   If they are hiring for example a personnel guy, I figure that's not hard to keep below the radar.  But a full out GM search, I'd gather would be more difficult to keep under wraps.  Will see.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

<snip>

But I suspect the reason why this is going below the radar is they aren't talking to people for a GM spot or if they are they are zeroing on one guy who they have managed to get that person to keep quiet.   If they are hiring for example a personnel guy, I figure that's not hard to keep below the radar.  But a full out GM search, I'd gather would be more difficult to keep under wraps.  Will see.

In my perfect world, this would be a requirement for the job.  The leaks are awful, and if you can get someone who keeps this whole search under wraps, then that's a guy you can trust.

Similar to how gangs find out who snitches are.  Make something up, tell just one guy, and if it gets back to you, then you know who your snitch is.

Just now, NewCliche21 said:

In my perfect world, this would be a requirement for the job.  The leaks are awful, and if you can get someone who keeps this whole search under wraps, then that's a guy you can trust.

Similar to how gangs find out who snitches are.  Make something up, tell just one guy, and if it gets back to you, then you know who your snitch is.

Hard thing to do though in wide net searches for GM or HC.  It's not just the prospect you are talking to but their whole web of people connected to them.  If I recall for example, Jay's kid leaked he was hired before it even happened.    That's why I mentioned if I you have just one or two people you are talking to, it's likely easier to keep under wraps.  Recalling other teams who have recently hired GMs various names have come out in the process.   

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hard thing to do though in wide net searches for GM or HC.  It's not just the prospect you are talking to but their whole web of people connected to them.  If I recall for example, Jay's kid leaked he was hired before it even happened.    That's why I mentioned if I you have just one or two people you are talking to, it's likely easier to keep under wraps.  Recalling other teams who have recently hired GMs various names have come out in the process.   

In all honesty this is probably one of the things Florio is thinking as well (it makes sense)...like how wide a net can it really be if nobody anywhere has heard anything about anything?

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

In all honesty this is probably one of the things Florio is thinking as well (it makes sense)...like how wide a net can it really be if nobody anywhere has heard anything about anything?

Yeah.  I think its interesting though he's willing to lay out that point arguably right before the hire.  It would be funny if it ends up a high profile guy like Mike Mayock.  If Bruce doesn't hire anyone from outside the organization then Florio's point becomes perhaps relevant.  And I gather that's what Florio thinks will happen.

I see your new thread cooking about the media.  To that point, the guys I trust the most are Keim and Mike Jones.  They aren't always right but they are usually careful about making claims.   Chris Russell has been on a hot streak of late but he admits he is riding on a source and doesn't always get a backup to that source.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah.  I think its interesting though he's willing to lay out that point arguably right before the hire.  It would be funny if it ends up a high profile guy like Mike Mayock.  If Bruce doesn't hire anyone from outside the organization then Florio's point becomes perhaps relevant.  And I gather that's what Florio thinks will happen.

I see your new thread cooking about the media.  To that point, the guys I trust the most are Keim and Mike Jones.  They aren't always right but they are usually careful about making claims.   Chris Russell has been on a hot streak of late but he admits he is riding on a source and doesn't always get a backup to that source.

I always trust Keim even when I disagree with him or doubt one of his stories is true (or as true as he makes it out to be). Unfortunately I think he sees it as one of the hoard who is just pissed off because he said something negative about the Redskins lol...Not sure if I ever formed an opinion on Jones. Agree about Russell. Reid is garbage, even if he puts out something well written and well researched. He's still garbage lol...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I always trust Keim even when I disagree with him or doubt one of his stories is true (or as true as he makes it out to be). Unfortunately I think he sees it as one of the hoard who is just pissed off because he said something negative about the Redskins lol...Not sure if I ever formed an opinion on Jones. Agree about Russell. Reid is garbage, even if he puts out something well written and well researched. He's still garbage lol...

Yeah Reid is the worst IMO.  He hates everything related to the Redskins.  I don't mind reporters who are negative or cynical but Reid is so over the top and relentless about it that he is a clown who can't be taken seriously IMO.  Ironically, Laconfora who he replaced was regarded by many here as negative but in comparison to Reid the dude was pollyanna.   Laconfoa seems still plugged in at times.

As for national guys, Schefter takes getting things right seriously so I trust him.  Albert Breer is often on the money.  Ian Rapoport has been wildly off about the Redskins of late.

Tandler is friendly with the fans and will go back and forth on twitter, etc but he doesn't seem plugged in.  Ditto Finlay.    As radio guys, Russell and Paulsen seem to still have sources over at Redskins Park from their beat days.  Cooley seems plugged in at times but he gets things wrong.  

We need someone other than Allen holding the purse strings. I just read that Pleasant was actually our first choice for new DB coach, but we refused to pay him as such. So we wanted to promote him from assistant to head DB's coach but not pay him like it? Ridiculous, and we lost him because of it. And rightly so. Luckily we ended up with another good candidate in Gray, but no NFL team should miss out on their preferred position coach candidate due to money. Embarrassing. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Reid is the worst IMO.  He hates everything related to the Redskins.  I don't mind reporters who are negative or cynical but Reid is so over the top and relentless about it that he is a clown who can't be taken seriously IMO.  Ironically, Laconfora who he replaced was regarded by many here as negative but in comparison to Reid the dude was pollyanna.   Laconfoa seems still plugged in at times.

As for national guys, Schefter takes getting things right seriously so I trust him.  Albert Breer is often on the money.  Ian Rapoport has been wildly off about the Redskins of late.

Tandler is friendly with the fans and will go back and forth on twitter, etc but he doesn't seem plugged in.  Ditto Finlay.    As radio guys, Russell and Paulsen seem to still have sources over at Redskins Park from their beat days.  Cooley seems plugged in at times but he gets things wrong.  

Agree about La Canfora, and it kinda freaks me out lol...I was among those who regarded him as unnecessarily negative but he's been much better since he went national (and he does seem dialed into the team still). Really like Tandler and Finlay. I despise Jason Cole...he flubs up so much so significantly and so badly that I no longer trust anything he says by default. And that's not just about the Redskins, either. I still like Snider even though he's had his questionable moments...

22 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We need someone other than Allen holding the purse strings. I just read that Pleasant was actually our first choice for new DB coach, but we refused to pay him as such. So we wanted to promote him from assistant to head DB's coach but not pay him like it? Ridiculous, and we lost him because of it. And rightly so. Luckily we ended up with another good candidate in Gray, but no NFL team should miss out on their preferred position coach candidate due to money. Embarrassing. 

Do you know how much we offered him? Any idea how much he got from the Rams?  (I don't know either answer lol)...

28 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Where did you read that? Can you post the source?

If it's true - and I have my doubts - do you know how much he was offered or how much he was asking for? Need to know that before deciding if it was a mistake much less "embarrassing".

This must be what you are talking about. There is no mention of money just that both sides were "playing hardball". This means while the redskins may have offered low money, Pleasant was asking for a lot - I don't blame him if he can get it. And he did. Does not mean the Redskins should be the team to pay him.

Also, if you read the article, Jay was totally on board moving forward. I do not see it a big loss - and certainly do not see it as "embarrassing".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/01/25/redskins-and-aubrey-pleasant-at-a-standstill-in-contract-discussions/?utm_term=.614b2ffd81c7

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Do you know how much we offered him? Any idea how much he got from the Rams?  (I don't know either answer lol)...

No, it sounds like they didn't want to give him much of a raise from what he was making as Asst. DB coach, because he was inexperienced compared to the guy he was replacing. That's all I can really gather. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

do you know how much he was offered or how much he was asking for? Need to know that before deciding if it was a mistake much less "embarrassing".

Not really. This all hinges on whether he was our "first choice" or not. If he was, then losing him over a couple hundred thousand dollars, or whatever, is definitely embarrassing. Its penny-pinching. Obviously we're happy with Gray, but the thing I read from Mike Jones specified that Pleasant was our #1 choice and we didn't want to pay him the going rate for the promotion. 

If any of that info is incorrect, obviously it changes my perception of what happened lol. But I can only go by what I read.

Here's the link and quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/05/30/kirk-cousinss-next-area-of-growth-and-way-way-too-early-replacement-talk/?utm_term=.d3cffeeb6eee

Gray must establish himself. He wasn’t the Redskins’ first choice. Initially, after firing Perry Fewell, they wanted to promote assistant defensive backs coach Aubrey Pleasant to the position. But they didn’t want to pay him like a head defensive backs coach, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation, and so, Pleasant walked (he wound up following Sean McVay to L.A.). Eventually, Washington hired Gray.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No, it sounds like they didn't want to give him much of a raise from what he was making as Asst. DB coach, because he was inexperienced compared to the guy he was replacing. That's all I can really gather. 

Not really. This all hinges on whether he was our "first choice" or not. If he was, then losing him over a couple hundred thousand dollars, or whatever, is definitely embarrassing. Its penny-pinching. Obviously we're happy with Gray, but the thing I read from Mike Jones specified that Pleasant was our #1 choice and we didn't want to pay him the going rate for the promotion. 

edit

So the reporting at the time - by multiple sources - stated he was asking for a lot and the team was offering less "Both sides playing hardball". Even Jay's comment at the time implies Pleasant was asking for crazy money and being difficult to deal with. Now the narrative is he just wanted fair money and the team was too cheap? Haven't the other coaches been paid pretty well? You have previous HCs here. Do you think they are taking small money just to be kind? And now after paying other coaches fair money there is a problem because they have some trepidation of paying Pleasant a lot of money? Bruce is just a cheap ass and it's embarrassing? Sorry, not buying it unless someone produces actual numbers. 

BTW: Where was he with this in January? None of it was a secret then. Again, multiple sources were reporting it then. I cited the Post above. Why is Jones digging this up now? I call bull**** until I see some factual data. Slow news day - not enough drama out of Redskins Park. Jones trying to create some by reporting now on something the played out in January - but with an added twist to incite some irritation.

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I think this is somewhat on point. The impression I got from the article is that the Redskins haven't asked permission to interview anyone from another team. Because if they did, there would be paperwork filed with NFL head office. And that info would leak out. And since nothing has leaked, Florio has no clue what's happening. I'm not really sure that's all that different from other team's hires. Those teams are not super transparent either. But if they file any paperwork, that becomes public knowledge. That's the major difference here...

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh yes, once the paperwork is filed, then the cat's pretty much shoved out of the bag.  Names being floated versus "candidate X is the likely hire" are different, though.  The latter requires someone to talk to sources and give that information.

Again, this is my perfect world scenario so I don't expect it to be the reality.

Chris Russell talking about this tonight.  He said he heard that they will likely made an announcement on the FO next week.  

He said he hears Doug won't get the promotion and title he wants and might leave because of it.  Russell goes on about yeah he's heard he's not a great personnel guy but you reward him for being Doug Williams.  I like Russell and I know some people here don't.  But I think his argument about rewarding Doug is silly.  

He said he doesn't think Dominik gets a position because he's too chummy with the media but he doesn't rule it out. 

Archived