Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

By Nora Princiotti - The Washington Times - Monday, June 12, 2017

Our long national nightmare is over or, at very least, it will be soon. 

To cut the hyperbole, the Redskins will be announcing changes to their front office at a news conference at 9 a.m. Tuesday, the team said Monday evening.

The announcement will cover changes made to the team’s personnel department, presumably revealing its reorganization following the departure of General Manager Scot McCloughan, who was fired in March. 

Redskins President Bruce Allen said in May that the team will not necessarily give anyone the title of general manager but could make as many as three hires. Allen said that a dozen candidates, both internal and external, had been interviewed. 

Ever since March, Allen has made it clear that he thinks the personnel department is talented as it is, so one possibility is that one or more current employees will simply get promoted. In this scenario, Allen would remain ultimately in charge but a person like Senior Personnel Executive Doug Williams would take on a larger role. 

Director of College Scouting Scott Campbell is also a name to keep in mind. Campbell held the Redskins pre-draft press conference, which McCloughan did during his tenure and, as a college scout, works in McCloughan’s top area of expertise. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

By Nora Princiotti - The Washington Times - Monday, June 12, 2017

Our long national nightmare is over or, at very least, it will be soon. 

To cut the hyperbole, the Redskins will be announcing changes to their front office at a news conference at 9 a.m. Tuesday, the team said Monday evening.

The announcement will cover changes made to the team’s personnel department, presumably revealing its reorganization following the departure of General Manager Scot McCloughan, who was fired in March. 

Redskins President Bruce Allen said in May that the team will not necessarily give anyone the title of general manager but could make as many as three hires. Allen said that a dozen candidates, both internal and external, had been interviewed. 

Ever since March, Allen has made it clear that he thinks the personnel department is talented as it is, so one possibility is that one or more current employees will simply get promoted. In this scenario, Allen would remain ultimately in charge but a person like Senior Personnel Executive Doug Williams would take on a larger role. 

Director of College Scouting Scott Campbell is also a name to keep in mind. Campbell held the Redskins pre-draft press conference, which McCloughan did during his tenure and, as a college scout, works in McCloughan’s top area of expertise. 

Hoping that Mayock is hired in some capacity.  JMO.  Others can trash what I am saying but having him on board as part of the scouting department would be a good thing.  I'd rather have him as our next GM but like most believe that Allen will hold final say over any personnel matters.

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hoping that Mayock is hired in some capacity.  JMO.  Others can trash what I am saying but having him on board as part of the scouting department would be a good thing.  I'd rather have him as our next GM but like most believe that Allen will hold final say over any personnel matters.

Mayock as GM

Mel Kiper & Todd mcshay as dual heads of college scouting

Ron Jaworski as head of pro scouting

Doug Williams is professional good guy

Bruce is proven winner

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose 

There will definitely be a meltdown tomorrow. The whole Scot MC drama will be rehashed to stir emotions. I can't even think of one name out there that would make a majority of this fan base have a "wait and see" approach about. 

I also suspect that we will hear some positive KC contract leak to keep anger at a low level after this news breaks.

6 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

There will definitely be a meltdown tomorrow. The whole Scot MC drama will be rehashed to stir emotions. I can't even think of one name out there that would make a majority of this fan base have a "wait and see" approach about. 

I also suspect that we will hear some positive KC contract leak to keep anger at a low level after this news breaks.

I think fans would be easily placated with a name from outside the organization with a good personnel rep serving as GM.  But most of us don't expect that to happen.  So if they adopt a variation of the losing model that we've mostly had under Danny which has been some sort of committee drill headed with someone who either isn't a personnel guy or someone without much of a reputation for personnel then some people would be upset and justifibly so IMO.  Not having a top level GM-personnel type running the show has been the hallmark of the losing Danny reign.  Hopefully, he surprises and if so I'd be elated. 

Jason La CanforaVerified account @JasonLaCanfora 8h8 hours ago

Name to watch in Skins reshuffled front office - longtime cap guru/negotiator Eric Schaffer. Ultimately though Bruce Allen still runs show

@RapSheet 8h8 hours ago

Ian Rapoport Retweeted ProFootballTalk

#Redskins did comply with the Rooney Rule. ... Agree that Eric Schaffer is expected to add responsibility

@AdamSchefter: Text this morning from Redskins official on teams' pending front-office changes: "We finally have something in DC that doesn't 'leak' info."

Hmmm. Does this signal that there are bigger changes about to be announced than we think because they've successfully kept it under wraps? Or more likely just another swipe at McCloughan to prop up whatever is announced? 

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@AdamSchefter: Text this morning from Redskins official on teams' pending front-office changes: "We finally have something in DC that doesn't 'leak' info."

Hmmm. Does this signal that there are bigger changes about to be announced than we think because they've successfully kept it under wraps? Or more likely just another swipe at McCloughan to prop up whatever is announced? 

According to Chris Russell one of the main reasons why Bruce canned Scot was leaks to the media and Bruce is obsessed with keeping the media at bay.  Maybe the condition of the hire was someone who could keep their mouth shut.    My hunch is internal guys are promoted.  The biggest potential bombshell is Doug, Schaffer or Campbell is promoted to GM.  Not that I'd be jazzed by that personally but they might think it would provide a splash especially if its Doug.   Other potential splash is a name people have heard in a consulting role but without any teeth in terms of power.

On cue, Russell tweets on media leaks

Yeah, I think we've all come to terms with what we think vs what the team thinks in regards to internal promotions, and how that's the likely outcome. And it's going to please nobody who is actually paying attention. 

So, let's get something straight.  This team has never had a true GM with the necessary/proper power since Casserly.  Scot was given the title only as mostly window dressing and to placate fans.

They seem happy with the recent draft (was a good one overall), not sure how much credit to give McCloughan.  So, with that in mind I don't expect much true change,..I mean, why would they?  Maybe give the title of GM to Eric Schaffer or Doug Williams?  Who knows, maybe do they hire someone from the outside, but even then I don't see much changing.  Bottomline Bruce runs the show, he gets final say,..and, that's fine.  I don't care anymore -- just accept the responsibility good and bad.

Archived