Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Pizza in DC (plus arlington, etc... )

mcsluggo

i was reading this thread

about the best pizza cities (which is a ridiculous all around concept, HIGHLIGHTED how ridiculous by the fact that it has Phoenix as #1....... the title should be refined to "Cities with my favorite Pizza hut franchises at the Holiday Inn Express by the airport")

so i went looking for THIS old thread (and its many cousins), but they are all locked

but i don't give a rats ass if the strip mall pizza in Tampa Bay are better than the airport pizza in Albuquerque  .... i care about the pizza i might actually eat.  NEAR TO ME   

what is the best Pizza in the DC area?

(and you get bonus jelly beans, if it is near to McLean)

personally, my gold standard is the Italian Store

Italian+Store.jpg

(the one on Lee highway in Lyon's Viliage.  there is a new one on Washington Blvd, closer to my home, but i keep forgetting to try it.)  

((On a side note... my mom's first job as a teen was at that Ayers Hardware store, next to the new Italian Store on Washington Blvd.... in the 1950s ... and i don;t think they have changed the decor or merchandise since.... so that place gives me the warm fuzzies :) ))

19 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Been a while, but the Tomato and Cheese Pizza at Pines of Rome in Bethesda was always my favorite. 

Surprised they're still in business actually... 

are all of the "Pines of.._______ "  restaurants in the DC area related to each other?  

(there is a Pines of Italy, Pines of Florence, Pines of Lebanon, Pines of Rome, off the top of my head,....)

28 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

are all of the "Pines of.._______ "  restaurants in the DC area related to each other?  

(there is a Pines of Italy, Pines of Florence, Pines of Lebanon, Pines of Rome, off the top of my head,....)

Don't know, but I would guess its just a common name for restaurants. 

Like naming your Italian restaurant Osteria something. 

A person in DC would actually respond, "Best Pizza in DC is (for example) Ledo's. It reminds me of when I was backpacking through Sicily and we dove into this hole in the wall for lunch. There was no menu and the grandma just started making us a pizza in this oven that had been there for centuries. The cheese was made from their cows/goats, the tomatoes were grown on the foot hills of Mt. Etna. We washed it all down with Grappa from the local vineyard. But yeah Ledo's is the best pizza in DC."

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My favorite is Ledo's, I like the sauce and the cheese, plus it's square/rectangular. 

I like the Italian Store for Italian food generally, good.

Depending on the location, Ledo can be hit or miss....but their pizza is really good when they're "on."

2 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

...... the title should be refined to "Cities with my favorite Pizza hut franchises at the Holiday Inn Express by the airport"

Oh, so you mean Ledo's then?  :rofl89: Sorry, I couldn't resist it. I think Ledo's is one of those things you either love or hate with a passion. There's no in between.

56 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Oh, so you mean Ledo's then?  :rofl89: Sorry, I couldn't resist it. I think Ledo's is one of those things you either love or hate with a passion. There's no in between.

My kids used to love it (when they were 8 and under), and i used to take them there when my wife was othrwise detained ... but i haven't been in 5 years or so?

i neither hate nor love Ledo's pizza (i've never eaten anything else there) .... but.. i barely consider it pizza.   the crust is flaky and sweet in a way that pizza crust isn't normally, and the sauce is SUPER sweet.  it is almost a different food group... and the fact that they bake it in those brownie tins just re-enforces that

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

In my corner of NOVA, I think Piasanos is the best.  Or Coal Fire.  Or Maleks if it's late as **** and you're drunk.

Ledo's sucks.

Maleks on the way home from the club, those were good times. 

Speaking of Springfield, Victor's in West Springfield is worth mentioning.  It's an awful place to look at but their pizza is good.

edit:  I should also mention Delias in Springfield.  Pizza is good and they have a Peruvian menu?  Take my money!  

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

My kids used to love it (when they were 8 and under), and i used to take them there when my wife was othrwise detained ... but i haven't been in 5 years or so?

i neither hate nor love Ledo's pizza (i've never eaten anything else there) .... but.. i barely consider it pizza.   the crust is flaky and sweet in a way that pizza crust isn't normally, and the sauce is SUPER sweet.  it is almost a different food group... and the fact that they bake it in those brownie tins just re-enforces that

Hmmm, I wonder if they changed it. The one or two times I tried it many years ago, I don't remember it being sweet, just disgusting tasting. OTOH, maybe the recipe is the same and I've just managed to wipe away a traumatic memory. BLECH!!

2 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

i barely consider it pizza.   the crust is flaky and sweet in a way that pizza crust isn't normally, and the sauce is SUPER sweet.  it is almost a different food group... and the fact that they bake it in those brownie tins just re-enforces that

Yeah I've had Ledo's up in Frederick. Company I worked for used to use them for catered lunches. You nailed the super sweet taste. **** was horrible. I've had better frozen pizzas.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Maleks on the way home from the club, those were good times. 

Speaking of Springfield, Victor's in West Springfield is worth mentioning.  It's an awful place to look at but their pizza is good.

edit:  I should also mention Delias in Springfield.  Pizza is good and they have a Peruvian menu?  Take my money!  

Victor's is pretty good.  It's gotta be fresh though because it is GREASEY.  You could ring a pint of grease out of a medium pizza if you wanted.

I like much of Victor's menu to be honest.  Glad they're still around.  Milano's is pretty good too.

Archived