Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Pizza in DC (plus arlington, etc... )

mcsluggo

I'm pretty fond of Matchbox...that was usually where I would eat before Wizards or Caps games.  They've expanded to Merrifield so there is a closer location now, but I never remember to go when we have a free night.

In the general McLean-Falls Church area?  First off, I've been to the new Italian Store several times as it's very close to my house, and it's just as good as the original, but I've never once gotten pizza there.  Red Tomato sucks, Rocco's is iffy (but an institution!), and I haven't tried Santini's yet.  In Falls Church, Flippin Pizza might be okay but the service was terrible.

In truth, which will probably get me laughed out of the thread, when my wife and I feel like ordering pizza, we usually just get Dominos.  Now I won't sit here and say that Dominos is better than Matchbox or many of the other places listed above.  I will say this though, compared to the Pizza Huts and Dominos of my youth, they have stepped up their game considerably in the last few years.

If I owned Ledo Pizza, my entire advertising budget would be spent on reminding people that the restaurant is not called "Ledo's." 

Guess thats why I don't own a business! 

I love Ledo Pizza, but I can see why some don't as the crust, sauce and cheese are all a little different than most typical places. 

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

They had a big special going on for a while there... Buy one large, two-topping pizza and give $2 million in campaign contributions and you get two participate in a satanic pedophiliac orgy with Hillary plus a free 2 liter of coke.

Is that eligible for delivery?

• 5 months later...

I got into a discussion somewhere else on pizza and someone said Wiseguys. IT's near Verizon Center so I might try it out sometime. Of course being lactose intolerant, pizza consumption is always difficult. But growing up here it was always Paisano's and Ledo's. Maybe Pizza Boli? 

People get all elite about they pizza, it's serious business. First Papa Johns is not good enough. Then when you talk local chain it isn't good enough either. "Ledos is garbage bro", it's a local chain! I still remember ordering that mammoth meat pizza the last time I went to Ledos. Holy cow :headbang:

For a brief stretch of time, my brother, sister and I all worked at the Ledo('s) Pizza in Bethesda.  

Ironically, my brother would sometimes bring home some of their proofed dough and make the most ridiculous Chicago style pizzas.  He also created a sub they put on the menu and named after him - the Keefer.

Ahh, good times...

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I got into a discussion somewhere else on pizza and someone said Wiseguys. IT's near Verizon Center so I might try it out sometime. Of course being lactose intolerant, pizza consumption is always difficult. But growing up here it was always Paisano's and Ledo's. Maybe Pizza Boli?

I'm pretty sure I went to Wise Guys after a Caps game one time and it was pretty good.

Pupatella is the ****.  Expensive, but good.

And I like We, The Pizza a lot.  

On 2/9/2017 at 1:09 PM, RonArtest15 said:

-Pupatella in Arlington is FANTASTIC (in store.) 

-Valentino's in Alexandria has as close to a NY slice as you'll find in this area

-My absolute favorite, it Lost Dog on Washington Blvd (Arlington.)  Their crust is to die for. 

Lost Dog, for sure.

****.  I was trying to figure out what to do for dinner, now I know.  

Oh, and it's a chain but I don't care.  I like extreme pizza.  

On 2/9/2017 at 10:14 AM, Mooka said:

Been a while, but the Tomato and Cheese Pizza at Pines of Rome in Bethesda was always my favorite. 

Surprised they're still in business actually... 

I second this, but I will add pepperoni, sausage, and mushroom. Still the best pizza I've ever had. Unique pizza not your normal thin crust. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I love Lost Dog in Tyson's/McLean

Agreed. My family and I love that place. We order from there almost any time we have family or guests arrive to the area. Mainly thanksgiving/Christmas breaks. And whenever my parents aren't home and I get hungry ??

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Lost Dog, almost entirely because they offer toppings that shouldn't exist on pizza and whoever I'm with says something like "OMG you have to try this..." and as usual with people that like to be adventurous with food, it's some awful disaster that insults whatever it's purporting to be. 

The Italian Store is fantastic.  Valentinos is as well.  Closer to my home, and not as good, is Victor's Pizza Den.  Flipping Pizza is better than any chain has a right to be too. 

On 2/9/2017 at 2:54 PM, Springfield said:

Or Maleks if it's late as **** and you're drunk.

Oh the drama that I've witnessed at 4:30 am in that place....  

Archived