Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

15 hours ago, mistertim said:

Eh...this is a lot of hindsight. Sure, now that we've seen that Kirk has grown into a very good NFL QB we can look back and say that we should have just picked some other positions earlier to bolster our D. But we didn't know that at the time (and didn't even know it until the second half of last season), and it isn't like Shanny picked him right after we got RG3. He was still a 4th rounder. We and 31 other teams passed on him multiple times. I'm sure Shanny liked him but he obviously still didn't value the pick until the 4th round.

I remembered it differently.  The reports our of Redskins park at the time of KCs pick were that Mike S though he was at worse a 2nd round pick he and Russell Wilson.  So when he was there and our turned came in the 4th round Mike said in his telephone to Kirk you are way too good at this spot for us to pass up.  In otherwords if we didn't do that trade with the Rams we most likely pick Wilson in the 2nd round or KC in the 2nd round.  Shanny took a huge risk getting Cousins because of the backlash it would create, but in his mind it was a no brainier to pull the trigger in the 4th round because he was a super value at that spot.  

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

He should have immediately been the starter in 2012 despite being a 4th round pick? Or do you mean he should have been named the permanent starter after struggling mightily with turnovers and mental issues and being inconsistent and pretty much mediocre before the second half of last season? 

No but IMO should have been the starter after that Browns game because RGIII was never the same after that injury with the Ravens.  Shanny should have put his foot down and say young man you are way too valuable to this organization and you are not 100%.  If Cousins continues to play with the running game we had with Morris I am convinced we would at least beat Seattle and then it would have been a showdown with Atlanta.  No way someone can tell me at that time Wilson and the Seattle seahawks were that much better than a Cousins led Redskins team.

9 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I remembered it differently.  The reports our of Redskins park at the time of KCs pick were that Mike S though he was at worse a 2nd round pick he and Russell Wilson.  So when he was there and our turned came in the 4th round Mike said in his telephone to Kirk you are way too good at this spot for us to pass up.  In otherwords if we didn't do that trade with the Rams we most likely pick Wilson in the 2nd round or KC in the 2nd round.  Shanny took a huge risk getting Cousins because of the backlash it would create, but in his mind it was a no brainier to pull the trigger in the 4th round because he was a super value at that spot.  

It's pretty amazing how that entire scenario unfolded...

Spending all the picks to draft Griffin, dealing with the criticism of drafting Cousins, seeing the spark that Cousins brought as early as his rookie season (completing the Baltimore comeback and winning his start in Cleveland), many of us believing that Cousins could lead us when Griffin was hurt going into 2013, many of us believing we had been dead wrong when Cousins struggled horribly in his 2014 opportunity...

To think that we are now a team led by the 2012 4th round pick and the 2012 1st round pick is possibly one more injury or benching away from washing out of the league...it's quite amazing!

Also read my comments on page 6 on welcome to the Redskins  for KC tread.  I loved the pick then, and I had a back and forth with Bang as he said we should put him on the PS.,  Now myself and Bang are his biggest fans.  I have been a fan even in that dark benching year in 2014 and never could figure out why there wasn't a competition for the job in 2015. 

Posted April 28, 2012 · Report post
  Bang said:
It's a financial move.
The Redskins are in a situation where the cap penalty may not allow us to keep every player we pick up this weekend.
There isn't much need to have 3 QBs on the roster every Sunday. RG3 and Grossman are likely 1&2, and Cousins will be 3.
Cousins will come at a 4th round pick price, and I'd bet he begins the season on the practice squad making 90k... slight cap relief, and a backup in training for Grossman's departure in 2013.
This pick gives us some flexibility.
~Bang
and how long do you think he lasts in PS? No way he goes there my friend I will bet you anything we carry 3 qbs and that might mean Banks is toast

15 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The first sign that he knows he's getting paid? 

Wearing cleats that you know you are going to get fined for wearing 

Rescuing dogs, promoting anti human trafficking? Next thing you know he'll tell us he's gone vegan. :P

Here is something from Gil Brandt - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000749451/article/kirk-cousins-eric-berry-among-players-who-must-be-resigned

Unlike shefter and some of the others Brandt seems to be a pretty straight up guy (took me a while to get there, considering he is lifelong cowboy). Anyway, I bolded the interesting part. If it's true, this has to be a done deal. It's barely over what many of us have suggested would be the contract.

1) Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington Redskins

Cousins bet on himself this offseason -- and he's doing everything he can to make that bet pay off. After a slow start, he's posted a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 19:4 and a passer rating of 107.3 over his last nine games, and he's thrown for a league-best 362 yards per game over his last three contests. The fifth-year pro benefited from a much-improved offensive line and the seasoning that comes with experience. While Cousins' roll is reminiscent of how he closed out 2015, I think he's getting rid of the ball more quickly and running the team with a bit more authority this year.

Cousins is the long-term answer at the position for Washington, having far surpassed the relatively low expectations that accompanied his entry to the NFL as a fourth-round pick to grow into an above-average quarterback. He is a must-sign for the Redskins. In fact, if they can't reach an agreement with him (I've been told that he's asking for $26 million per year), it would make sense for them to apply the franchise tag to him for a second straight year. It's easy for me to say, because I don't have to pay him, but I think Cousins is deserving of a financial reward, given the way he took a risk and showed his bosses definitively that he can play.

4 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

No but IMO should have been the starter after that Browns game because RGIII was never the same after that injury with the Ravens.  Shanny should have put his foot down and say young man you are way too valuable to this organization and you are not 100%.  If Cousins continues to play with the running game we had with Morris I am convinced we would at least beat Seattle and then it would have been a showdown with Atlanta.  No way someone can tell me at that time Wilson and the Seattle seahawks were that much better than a Cousins led Redskins team.

So a 4th round pick comes in and after ONE good game (against a crappy team that had zero tape on him and couldn't game plan for how the Shannys would use him) he should supplant the #2 overall pick OROY QB who is having one of the best rookie QB seasons in NFL history? Anyway, history shows that you're probably wrong. Cousins struggled in many areas and didn't really come into his own until the second half of last season so to assume that he would have continued to play well in 2012 after teams, especially good ones like Seattle, had some tape on him is silly. Also, RG3 was a big part of the success Morris was having because of the way the zone read opened up running lanes. Morris was really not the same when that wasn't there.

Every single thing you're saying about the whole situation is complete revisionist history but you and some others in this thread talk about it like you are some elite ultra-scout who somehow just "knew" that Cousins would turn out to be a very good NFL QB at some point down the road despite being a 4th round pick and having all 32 teams pass on him multiple times. Why you all aren't making millions as GMs is beyond me.

Somewhat unrelated but it is about contracts - and since there is a lot of self back patting going on :chair:

This is also from the same article that talks about re-signing Kirk. The reason I bring it up is I mentioned this a few years ago when the CBA was signed and many thought it was not ever going to be a problem. My thoughts then were that due to having to spend a minimum amount of money, those with the cap to spend would overpay players, ultimately raising player salaries faster than they would otherwise. Seems I am not the only one who thinks that:

One factor to note that could potentially impact all of the players on this list: Teams that must increase their spending to meet the NFL's spending-floor requirements will be more willing to overpay for someone who otherwise would not merit a big contract. Here are Gils comments:

"One factor to note that could potentially impact all of the players on this list: Teams that must increase their spending to meet the NFL's spending-floor requirements will be more willing to overpay for someone who otherwise would not merit a big contract."

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

you and some others in this thread talk about it like you are some elite ultra-scout who somehow just "knew" that Cousins would turn out to be a very good NFL QB at some point down the road despite being a 4th round pick and having all 32 teams pass on him multiple times. Why you all aren't making millions as GMs is beyond me.

We didn't "know" that Cousins would be elite, but we knew that he had potential, and we knew that starting and developing him was the team's best chance for success given the QB situation we had put ourselves in.

I went on record in April 2012 that the RG3 trade was a mistake, and in Jan 2013 that it was time to move on from him, and in December 2014 that Cousins had been our best QB of 2014.. 

Unfortunately, being smarter than Dan Synder and 90% of our fanbase isn't much of an achievement. 

we can never be happy....PTSD....Post Traumatic Skins Syndrome

This should be the happiest time in 2.5 decades for us...Look where we are right now....on the verge of back to back playoffs...one of the most explosive offenses ever....found a real Franchise QB...have a great GM and Coach....stability finally....

we as fans can always be wrong about a pick...I was over the moon with Heath Shuler...snickered to myself about how lucky we were...thought Desmond Howard was the next Rice...same with Westbrook...hardly even remember Kenard Lang ...and Lavar wasn't the next LT I was envisioning...

great now I'm depressed...

15 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

No one believes Shanny wanted the RGIII deal.  He warned Snyder but failed to talk Snyder out of it.  If Shanny's son wasn't on the payroll too Shanny might have put his foot down and prevented this huge blunder.

If not for an injury?  You make it sound like him getting injured was a random event instead of an inevitability because of his limited skill set, judgement and build.  

Hi, I'm reality. I don't think we've met.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

We didn't "know" that Cousins would be elite, but we knew that he had potential, and we knew that starting and developing him was the team's best chance for success given the QB situation we had put ourselves in.

ES says this about every back-up QB when the starter struggles 

Archived