Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State

PCS

Another QB in Washington. You're going to love this.

2532820.jpg

Kirk Cousins QB Michigan St.

6'3"

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/kirk-cousins?id=2532820

OVERVIEW

Cousins was a three-year starter, as well as a rare three-year captain, at Michigan State. He is a self-made guy, a tireless worker who has deficiencies that could hurt his pro potential. He is not a very strong deep thrower; while his velocity is adequate, his accuracy when throwing deep is questionable. Ultimately, Cousins is a guy who could get drafted based on his experience and intangibles, and will need to put on size and fine-tune certain throwing deficiencies to catch on at the next level. Based on the production and leadership at Michigan State, Cousins has late-round value to a team looking for someone to compete for a backup role.

*Click Link For More*

Info for him right here: Draft Picks UDFA thread

News about the young man from Michigan State

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?364935-FFLS-After-Taking-Robert-Griffin-III-Redskins-Also-Add-QB-Kirk-Cousins

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?364937-WP-Insider-Redskins-surprise-with-fourth-round-pick-of-QB-Kirk-Cousins

Discuss it here:

For the record, and I posted this in the draft thread-

Gil Bryant had Cousins as his 39th ranked player overall. 1 below Brandon Weeden

If we had Cousins similarly ranked, getting a 2nd round QB in the 4th round is incredible value. A move we had to make, and solidifies the most important position on the team long-term

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8288ef17/article/2012-nfl-draft-hot-100-25-final-ranking-of-top-prospects

I said it in the draft thread: QB is the most important position. We all said as much when Skins traded up to land RG3. So having a young, smart back-up for the most important position (instead of Bleck and 32, out of shape, turnover machine Rex), and getting him in 4th when he was projected 2 and was easily the bpa when we took him, AND the coaches worked w/ him in the senior bowl AND he's a 3 year captain/film rat/ highly dedicated player, is a smart move.

I said it in the draft thread: QB is the most important position. We all said as much when Skins traded up to land RG3. So having a young, smart back-up for the most important position (instead of Bleck and 32, out of shape, turnover machine Rex), and getting him in 4th when he was projected 2 and was easily the bpa when we took him, AND the coaches worked w/ him in the senior bowl AND he's a 3 year captain/film rat/ highly dedicated player, is a smart move.

Totally agree with this, nothing wrong with improving the depth of the most important position on the field. He was considered one of the better picks left in the 4th round too.

just finished coaching U7 soccer team. Just saw our picks thus far. I wouldn't of ever guessed Kirk Cousins. I know his got some talent. I would of thought we would of gone in a different direction Im not that mad though. Need to read up on the other picks but so far so good

First thing came to mind when I heard the pick was "Cool. A potentially good back up. Makes sense after seeing some #1's go down on those teams not prepared for it." As I listen to a lot of folks on t.v. bash the pick,I'm taken back to 89 when Cowboys took Aikman #1 then later in the supplemental draft,picked Steve Walsh. Bit of mess there but turned out pretty good for the Boys the next year.

Yep :yes:...couldn't agree more.

Biggest areas of need after the end of last season:

QB - starter and depth (drafted starter and depth)

OL - starter and depth (drafted depth, possible starter)

Safety

ILB - depth now, starter in near future (drafted depth with starter potential down road)

WR

Also keep in mind the kind of demand good back-up quarterbacks can demand on the trade market. A couple of years from now, if a team needs a QB, and values Cousins as a starting caliber quarterback, they will give up plenty of value in exchange for him...likely two high non-first round picks. A 2nd and 3rd rounder for instance. I'm not sure if that's what the Redskins FO had in mind, but it could be the ultimate outcome in picking him.

This pick has more risk than reward. I'm not mad or demanding anyone lose their job but this is a flat out horrible pick. By making this pick they've introduced potential controversy to a town that has a history of loving the back up like no other. All of it goes away if RG3 meets or exceeds expectations right away, if cousins looks better initially the question becomes merit versus investment which is a bad place to be.

This also means well carry three QBs because I very much doubt the rookies backup is a lesser rookie. I hope Rex and Kirk get into a awkward tug of war over the clip board in camp. :)

I'll admit I was surprised by the pick. And most of the talking heads don't like it given the Redskins needs. But let's be honest. Very few 4th rounders become impact NFLers. You're generally drafting depth guys, if you even get that. Sure, occasional 4th rounders become great players. But acting like you have to draft a need position is laughable given the likelihood the pick does not pan out. I get the feeling the Redskins took Cousins as much for his work ethic and leadership more than anything. It seems the hope is that having him in the locker room can have as much impact as those that actually see the field. Whether this logic pans out remains to be seen. But I at least see the logic.

This pick has more risk than reward. I'm not mad or demanding anyone lose their job but this is a flat out horrible pick. By making this pick they've introduced potential controversy to a town that has a history of loving the back up like no other. All of it goes away if RG3 meets or exceeds expectations right away, if cousins looks better initially the question becomes merit versus investment which is a bad place to be.

This also means well carry three QBs because I very much doubt the rookies backup is a lesser rookie. I hope Rex and Kirk get into a awkward tug of war over the clip board in camp. :)

The backup is usually popular among fans of most teams that don't have a stud QB starter. RG3 is expected to be a stud so I don't see a controversy happening at all. The only way a controversy starts to brew is if RG3 looks Blaine Gabbert bad and there are whispers of Cousins looking sharp in practice. I don't think fans are going to be calling for Cousins if RG3 has some expected rookie bumps in the road (maybe some drunk moron fans will who opinion means nothing). RG3 would have to look horrid and completely lost for there to be any risk of controversy IMO.

Not thrilled at all, especially considering: McNabb may have sucked here regardless, but Shanahan(s) undermined and humiliated him by pulling him in that fourth quarter drive early, then benching him. We were 5-8 at that point, pretty bad but not as bad as under Grossman.

But my point is--if they're drafting Cousins to be a backup (or eventual trade-bait, though I think that theory is odd--could they likely trade him for anything higher than where he was just now picked at?), fine. If to "light a fire" under RGIII or give him camp competition or something ridiculous akin to their handling McNabb, I think it's a terrible pick. If we start 2-4 or 3-6 are they going to bench RGIII for Grossman or Cousins? After giving up 2 first round picks for a franchise rookie, I'd normally think that question so ridiculous as to not pose it. But we do have two years of (imo) utter mishandling of our QBs, and decades of mediocre QBs in general, so it's something that worries me.

The backup is usually popular among fans of most teams that don't have a stud QB starter. RG3 is expected to be a stud so I don't see a controversy happening at all. The only way a controversy starts to brew is if RG3 looks Blaine Gabbert bad and there are whispers of Cousins looking sharp in practice. I don't think fans are going to be calling for Cousins if RG3 has some expected rookie bumps in the road (maybe some drunk moron fans will who opinion means nothing). RG3 would have to look horrid and completely lost for there to be any risk of controversy IMO.

It's not the fans I'm worried about, it's the Shanahans, who incited or added fuel to the McNabb-Grossman QB controversy by benching McNabb in that fourth quarter drive. Who they'd just traded a 2nd and spent $40 mil on. They don't seem to stand by their starting QBs if things are going poorly and the QB is playing poorly, even if the backup is less likely to win games.

And particularly this year, if the Skins suck Shanahan is gone. If we start poorly with RGIII, is he going to bench him to try to pass the buck and save his job? It frankly wouldn't surprise me.

ETA: hopefully this is all theoretical and RGIII plays well or at least not bad out of the gate! I'm just paranoid.

It's not the fans I'm worried about, it's the Shanahans, who incited or added fuel to the McNabb-Grossman QB controversy by benching McNabb in that fourth quarter drive. Who they'd just traded a 2nd and spent $40 mil on. They don't seem to stand by their starting QBs if things are going poorly and the QB is playing poorly, even if the backup is less likely to win games.

And particularly this year, if the Skins suck Shanahan is gone. If we start poorly with RGIII, is he going to bench him to try to pass the buck and save his job? It frankly wouldn't surprise me.

I see your point. If the Shanahans pulled some stupid crap like that, I would actually welcome Snyder stepping in and say "not going to happen." That said, there is no reason to worry about something that isn't or highly unlikely to happen. RG3 would have to look like the biggest bust since Jamarcus Russel for anything like you're worrying about to happen. We need more than one good QB on the roster.

Archived