Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

On 3/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully not true.  But its a funny summary. 

Regarding the Pats trading draft picks, I thought the same thing too of BB not liking the talent coming out this year. But the offseason the Pats have had lead me to believe BB has one or two more left in him. 

13 hours ago, Hailmary70 said:

I hope that we don't take a RB with our 1st pick. I'd like to grab Joe Mixon later.

(I know what he did and I also believe that people deserve 2nd chances) 

There's gonna' come a point, whether we like it or not, more than likely on day 2 in the third round; where you have to make a serious decision on Mixon's talent being way too good a value to turn down there over any character concerns. 

Hail. 

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Reddick is someone I'd been really hoping could fall to us at 17.  His hype is getting out of control though, so I doubt it happens.

Reddick has some good film, so I can see how PFF really likes him.  His athleticism testing numbers from the combine are all really good too.  But what PFF is failing to account for is the size issue.  He's only 6'1 and 237 pounds and has ordinary arm length.  He's looking at a position switch unfortunately, because he simply does not have the body to stay on the edge in the NFL.  And he doesn't play strong either, so he's not one of those guys with freakish functional power for his size.

A couple of months ago, I thought it was crazy to move Reddick to the stack.  He's a pass rusher who wins with speed.  He needs to play on the edge to be able to do the thing he does at an elite level.  But with his measurements, I just don't see how you can keep him on the edge in the NFL.  He'd be a major liability against the run.  And moving him inside is not going to be an easy transition.

He's talented and productive, but he's a man without a natural position in the NFL.

Really a shame that Fournette won't be available when we pick. That guy fits Gruden's "power" scheme perfectly.
Most of his big runs came from inside the tackles, just like Gruden likes to run. He would be the missing piece for the offense with his power, speed and agility running from the inside.. amazing athlete and running back.

2 hours ago, crabbypatty said:
Really a shame that Fournette won't be available when we pick. That guy fits Gruden's "power" scheme perfectly.
Most of his big runs came from inside the tackles, just like Gruden likes to run. He would be the missing piece for the offense with his power, speed and agility running from the inside.. amazing athlete and running back.

Speaking of guys who would fit Gruden's running scheme, I hope the team takes a look at James Conner out of Pittsburgh.  What some his carries and the guy is just freaking bulldozer of running back.  I'd love to see how he would do for us.

James Conner Highlights

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Reddick has some good film, so I can see how PFF really likes him.  His athleticism testing numbers from the combine are all really good too.  But what PFF is failing to account for is the size issue.  He's only 6'1 and 237 pounds and has ordinary arm length.  He's looking at a position switch unfortunately, because he simply does not have the body to stay on the edge in the NFL.  And he doesn't play strong either, so he's not one of those guys with freakish functional power for his size.

A couple of months ago, I thought it was crazy to move Reddick to the stack.  He's a pass rusher who wins with speed.  He needs to play on the edge to be able to do the thing he does at an elite level.  But with his measurements, I just don't see how you can keep him on the edge in the NFL.  He'd be a major liability against the run.  And moving him inside is not going to be an easy transition.

He's talented and productive, but he's a man without a natural position in the NFL.

Reddick's arms are only three-quarters of an inch shorter than Von Miller's, but his hand size is almost an inch larger. He's 9 pounds lighter than Von Miller but with a lower center of gravity. They compare favorably.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What did people say about Aaron Donald and Shaq Thompson? Some guys are just ballers and there talent demands a starting spot. Even if there not natural fit for any spot. 

Do I think it's smart to learn a position in the NFL with there limited practise time? No, but if guy is a filmrat who puts in his own time to improve. Then it is possible. 

This feels to me just like a guy who will make plays if you just let him loose. But I would not great him in top 15 ?

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Has anyone said for sure they are moving Cravens to safety? Im wondering if they actually do target an ILB in the draft, and instead signed Swearinger to be the SS, plan to have Cravens at the second ILB spot, and Hall playing FS.

Yeah, it's been said since we drafted him.

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Has anyone said for sure they are moving Cravens to safety? Im wondering if they actually do target an ILB in the draft, and instead signed Swearinger to be the SS, plan to have Cravens at the second ILB spot, and Hall playing FS.

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-sua-cravens-moving-to-safety/

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-sua-cravens-healthy-and-changing-roles/

IMO it's a bad move to play Sua at safety.  He's good in space close to the LOS.  When put in space on the backend, going against top tier WRs/TEs in the NFL, he's going to struggle.  My hope is that he plays as an in the box safety who rarely is asked to cover deep down the field.  

3 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

IMO it's a bad move to play Sua at safety.  He's good in space close to the LOS.  When put in space on the backend, going against top tier WRs/TEs in the NFL, he's going to struggle.  My hope is that he plays as an in the box safety who rarely is asked to cover deep down the field.  

He got beat up last year playing ILB too close to the LOS. The guy is a playmaker, he needs to roam and make plays in space, not banging with OL and TE's on every play.

When used on 1st and 2nd down sure, he's not an ILB.  Do not disagree.  Going against 12, 22, 21, etc personnel is not for sua either.  IMO he's a nickel backer, and with more teams running spread sets there's plenty of room for him to play the majority of snaps.  Problem is going to come when teams are in 00 10 or 11 personnel and Sua is covering WR2 deep.  He's simply not built for that.  

10 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Problem is going to come when teams are in 00 10 or 11 personnel and Sua is covering WR2 deep.  He's simply not built for that.  

In those instances, defense would most likely be aligned in a dime package with Sua as possibly the only backer.

This is why I'm intrigued by the possibility of drafting Peppers, if he's there. With Peppers, Sua, and DJ in the backfield, an innovative DC could move those pieces around quite a bit and cause major havoc.

Can someone please embed a film where Reddick shines. I watched 3 full games of him and was underwhelmed to concerned. I'm on an island here, but I am on the pass train with this kid. And what is his true position, ILB or OLB?

I have a funny feeling the the BPA at 17 is going to be a WR again.

17 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I have a funny feeling the the BPA at 17 is going to be a WR again.

Who is stoking the fires of that feeling? Ross, Williams? I don't see a WR that is so much head and shoulders above a safety, CB or Oline. I'd rather have forrest lamp than any of the WRs

1 minute ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Who is stoking the fires of that feeling? Ross, Williams? I don't see a WR that is so much head and shoulders above a safety, CB or Oline. I'd rather have forrest lamp than any of the WRs

Williams and Davis for me... prototypical WRs in NFL right now. I think that would create a log jam at position. 

My wish is to somehow land Reuben Foster. I think the DL value is in the second round. I would love a S or CB personally. 

On 3/13/2017 at 9:19 AM, crabbypatty said:

Didn't Gruden have smallish backs like Bernard and Green Ellis in Cincy?  They didn't draft the bigger hill til Jay was gone.

I always saw Scot as the one who likes a bruising back and stgrong defense like in Sea.  Hence his big of Matt Jones to be his new Marshawn.  Jay seems to like the faster backs like Kyle had in ATL.  Maybe I'm wrong and wouldn't be the first time. :)

Archived