Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Landing Spots For RG3

Gizmo 3squire

DISCLAIMER: I'm aware of how RG3 related threads can get, so please keep it civilized as best as you can or mods will do what's necessary and lock the thread. Don't want to feel the wrath of Jumbo or Zoony.lol

RG3's time in Washington has come to an end. He gave us a magical 2012 season, which all Redskins fans should cherish and be happy about. We wish him nothing but the best in his NFL future. Thank you Robert Griffin III. With that being said, what do you all think his potential landing spots should be that would best fit his needs or skill set?

Many have him going to the Cowboys, but I personally think that's an even worse situation than him being here in DC.

Good Landing Spots:

Denver Bronco's

Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Rams

New Orleans Saints

San Francisco 49ers

Bad Landing Spots:

Philadelphia Eagles

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

Cleveland Browns

I personally would like to see him go to the Denver Bronco's or Arizona Cardinals to either start with Peyton Manning more than likely retiring, or sit behind Carson Palmer in his final seasons and learn the offense. Plus the area is also good for him.

Thoughts? Comments?

Again, keep it classy fellas. :)

RG3 to Arizona.  Would love to see it.  Arians is exactly what he needs to take the next step and build an offense tailored to his strengths.  The organization has a huge involvement with the military and charities so that should appeal to him as well.

This is a really good article about how ridiculous Arians is at developing QBs and letting them build their own playbook.  It was written over the summer but seeing the Cardinals success this season does nothing but add to his credentials in my book.  Definitely a good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2546950-bruce-arians-the-nfls-ultimate-quarterback-whisperer

RG3 to Arizona.  Would love to see it.  Arians is exactly what he needs to take the next step and build an offense tailored to his strengths.  The organization has a huge involvement with the military and charities so that should appeal to him as well.

This is a really good article about how ridiculous Arians is at developing QBs and letting them build their own playbook.  It was written over the summer but seeing the Cardinals success this season does nothing but add to his credentials in my book.  Definitely a good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2546950-bruce-arians-the-nfls-ultimate-quarterback-whisperer

Great Read.

I definitely agree! It's right up is alley tbh. They have a great team as well, and Arians has done a fantastic job with developing them. Look at how he's resurrected Carson Palmer, who went form stud, to being in the shadows to resurfacing and is knocking on the door to the Superbowl. It's crazy. I definitely hope he heads there, especially to an organization that would treat him well.

For his own sake he should go to a team that has a solid reigning starting QB. RGIII needs to learn to be an NFL QB unless he wants to run the "read-option" for the rest of his career. Considering how much he didn't learn in 3 seasons under "develop the QB" coaching staffs ... I think that solid reigning starting QB needs to be viable for at least 2 seasons with Griffin in 100% back-up/student mode. Don't think that's Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or some other grey-beard NFL QB. I'd say it should be a decent/very-good but not overwhelmingly high ceiling type QB ... like Andy Dalton for example. Someone who won't be pushed to the bench unless injured but not one of the "best" QBs so Griffin could take over the reigns without fan implosion after a couple of years. Not sure that Dalton back-up slot is open considering how well their back-up played but I'd look for that type of a landing strip for Griffin.

My concern ... or the concern I would have if Griffin's post-Redskins career was important to me is that he or his agent will seek out a mega payday and destroy his path forward like a moth flying directly in to the bug zapper light.

For his sake I think Jets could actually be a pretty good landing spot.

1. Fitzpatrick has at most one year left and is a risk to get hurt at any time. Geno Smith is not even backup quality

2. They have 2 very good, tall Wrs in Marshall and Decker who can win jump balls

3. very good Rb in Ivory to take pressure off Griffin

He could end up starting as early as mid next season.. but sitting there for a year to learn from Fitzmagic wouldn't be a bad deal either.

.. but IMO - Griffin will never be a starter caliber QB in the NFL. He lacks football intelligence to read defenses and too slow in his progression reads which will always lead to a lot of sacks. With how fragile he is.. that’s a career killer

I don't think he could be successful anywhere honestly.  His whole game was being able to quickly run and burn his defenders with his legs.  Not happening anymore.  Unless he can learn to read defenses, make his progressions, and throw with accuracy then I'm afraid he's done for.  I am skeptical he will ever start another NFL game again.

I think denver is a 0% chance suiter for rg3. I have no idea where that is coming from their coach is inflexible and doesnt even tailor their offense to mannings on field ability to read. If manning looks terrible in the offense rg3 wont look good at all.

I think the bills and 49ers are far more likely.

The best place for him to go is Dallas, and he best thing for the Redskins is for him to excel.

Gruden is all in on Cousins. If Gruden is right, that will be fantastic.

In that case, RG3 excelling would breathe needed life and animosity in the Redskins-Cowboys rivalry.

If Gruden is wrong, and RG3 excels anywhere, (fill in the blank).

My best guess is Houston, being they need a QB desperately, and it would bring the hometown fans to the stadium.

Whether he's a good fit or not, well, thats up to the coaching staff.

But, 1 other place; Miami.

Yea, in ways it doesn't make sense, but are the Dolphins REALLY comfy and cozy with Tannehill? I just don't believe they are.

They need explosiveness in their offense, maybe Griffin can bring that to their table.

Rams honestly has my pick. That way he can compete for the starting role. Foles aint the answer either. Plus it would complete already handing them 3 firsts and a 2nd, so why not at this point.lol

Will he be successful? With that OL and Jeff Fisher I doubt unless they also sign some OL's and draft some as well, although he had some success with Steve McNair.

Apparently most Rams fans would take him as well if you look at the poll.

RG3 needs a situation that meets the following 2 requirements: (1) there is already an undisputed starter in place for the current season, and (2) RG3 would be the unquestioned heir apparent to the starting role with no competition necessary.  Bonus points for a good coaching staff in place and a city that's not in a major media market.

Of the spots that have been named in this thread, I think those 2 requirements would rule out Denver, LA Rams, SF, Philly, Houston, and Cleveland.  In Denver, Osweiler would at least merit a competiton with RG3.  The others don't have a QB in place that could hold the job down for at least this year.

That leaves Kansas City, Arizona, Dallas, Buffalo, and NYJ as the best spots for him, in order, according to my criteria.

It is absolutely crucial that RG3 not be forced to compete for his role next year (whether that be starter, or preferably, backup).  He will lose any open competition that he gets in, regardless of who he's competing against.  Here is his career stat line in the preseason:

(8 games played; generally played for half a game or less in each)

39/64 (60.9%) for 378 yards (5.9 YPA), 2 TDs (3.1% TD pct), 2 INTs (3.1% INT pct), 10 sacks (13.5% sack rate), 6 fumbles, 74.9 passer rating.

His adjusted net yards per attempt, which as far as I can find is the best measure of QB play using solely box score statistics, is 3.62.  Those are Jimmy Clausen numbers.

In fact, Griffin has only actually looked good in one of his eight preseason games - his third game in 2012, against the Colts (and in this game, he still only had 4.4 yards per attempt).  In every game besides that one, he has accomplished at least one of the following: lost a fumble on at least 12% of his dropbacks, thrown for less than 2.5 yards per attempt (he's done this in 3 separate games), or failed to complete more than 50% of his passes (also done this in 3 separate games).

In short, he will never ever win an open QB competition because he plays like Jimmy Clausen when the schemes are completely vanilla.  So he needs to walk onto a team where he is the unquestioned backup heir-apparent, because if there is even a shred of doubt that there's a better backup on the roster, RG3 will lose to him.

Buffalo. Tyrod Taylor tried to have an RG3 year and couldn't.  Rex Ryan has no aversions to divas, circuses and bright lights, and i don't believe that Taylor is absolutely the set in stone starter in Buffalo.

~Bang

He basically did have an RG3 year.  He had one fewer win in a much tougher division without the benefit of his scheme taking the league by surprise.  I think I'd take the significantly better injury history (in Taylor) over the slightly better stats (in Griffin's rookie year).

While I promoted Griffin going to Dallas, the best place for him could be right where he is, the Washington Redskins. He is under contract through 2016. He has taken the team to a division title. He paid a physical and emotional price for it. Gruden was hired with a commitment on his part (Gruden) to help RG3 go to the next level, and to take the Redskins to the next level.

Gruden determined that 2015 would not be the year that Griffin should start, and that Cousins was better. Good for Gruden and the Redskins. Cousins made the best of the opportunity, and he now wants a huge contract. Good for him.

I do appreciate that the Washington Redskins never dismissed Griffin. I watched every game, and I saw, every game, Griffin close to the offensive coordinator. I saw Griffin, every game, close to the offensive coordinator and Cousins after almost every offensive series. And, I never heard a negative word about Griffin during the season, except from those media hacks who tried so hard to get rid of him.

Thousands of thousands of Griffin jerseys have been sold to Redskins fans. My wife bought me one; I wore it to the Packers game, proudly. Granted, the guy next to me told me to tape over the name, but that was really his problem.

Today, Griffin jerseys have not been discounted at the Redskins store.

There are a lot of Redskins fans who still believe in Griffin. We will proudly wear our Redskins jerseys to games.

If Cousins is too greedy, I will gladly support Griffin and the Redskins, again.

He's going to go somewhere where he can at least compete for a starting job. Whether thats in his best long term interests or not, that's what he's going to do. No way is he going to sit ANOTHER year on the bench. His ego/pride won't allow it. Best fits would be:

Houston-Good D already, and he'd be an upgrade at QB. Back in his home state as well. But can he run O'Brien's offense? (WCO similar to Gruden's I believe)

Buffalo-They're already running read option. A healthy RG3 would be better then Tyrod Taylor...for the 10 games or so he plays before getting injured.

Cleveland-They need a QB and he'd at least be reunited with his old Baylor boy Josh Gordon.

While I promoted Griffin going to Dallas, the best place for him could be right where he is, the Washington Redskins. He is under contract through 2016. He has taken the team to a division title. He paid a physical and emotional price for it. Gruden was hired with a commitment on his part (Gruden) to help RG3 go to the next level, and to take the Redskins to the next level.

Gruden determined that 2015 would not be the year that Griffin should start, and that Cousins was better. Good for Gruden and the Redskins. Cousins made the best of the opportunity, and he now wants a huge contract. Good for him.

I do appreciate that the Washington Redskins never dismissed Griffin. I watched every game, and I saw, every game, Griffin close to the offensive coordinator. I saw Griffin, every game, close to the offensive coordinator and Cousins after almost every offensive series. And, I never heard a negative word about Griffin during the season, except from those media hacks who tried so hard to get rid of him.

Thousands of thousands of Griffin jerseys have been sold to Redskins fans. My wife bought me one; I wore it to the Packers game, proudly. Granted, the guy next to me told me to tape over the name, but that was really his problem.

Today, Griffin jerseys have not been discounted at the Redskins store.

There are a lot of Redskins fans who still believe in Griffin. We will proudly wear our Redskins jerseys to games.

If Cousins is too greedy, I will gladly support Griffin and the Redskins, again.

He's gone. Its time to move on.

But I understand hero worship is very difficult thing to break.

He's going to go somewhere where he can at least compete for a starting job. Whether thats in his best long term interests or not, that's what he's going to do. No way is he going to sit ANOTHER year on the bench. His ego/pride won't allow it. Best fits would be:

Houston-Good D already, and he'd be an upgrade at QB. Back in his home state as well. But can he run O'Brien's offense? (WCO similar to Gruden's I believe)

Buffalo-They're already running read option. A healthy RG3 would be better then Tyrod Taylor...for the 10 games or so he plays before getting injured.

Cleveland-They need a QB and he'd at least be reunited with his old Baylor boy Josh Gordon.

He's gone. Its time to move on.

But I understand hero worship is very difficult thing to break.

Seriously, he's not my hero. I don't ascribe to the view he is a villain, either. Since he is still under contract, and no one has ever heard one demand nor complaint from him, what's up? If he is gone and it is time to move on, what are the Redskins doing with him? Why don't the Redskins just get it over with and release him? There is a reason. Do you know what it is? There is no hyperbole in this message, nor is it intended to offend anyone. Anybody know what's going on? Thank you.

Archived