Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

We can save:

$16 million by cutting RGIII

$8 million by cutting Garcon

$8 million by cutting Goldson

$4.25 million by cutting Hatcher

$3.5 million by cutting Hall

$4 million by cutting Riley

$3 million by cutting Roberts

But of course, we have players to resign. Maybe we bring back Goldson and Garcon on more team-friendly deals.

And it's important to note: given all of the veteran talent we added on the defensive line in the last two seasons -- Knighton, Paea, Hatcher, Jean-Francois -- it's Chris Baker who's played the best. And Golston has seized a ton of playing time. And given our big-name, high priced receiving duo, homegrown Jamison Crowder has been our most consistent wide receiver.

We should be using our cap space to sign Jordan Reed to a long-term extension at better team value than what will be available on the eve of his free agency. Ditto Bashaud Breeland.

Moreover, unused cap space can be pushed into future years. We're not close to a Superbowl run, so we should be keeping an eye on having plenty of space to lock up guys like Moses and Long, and then Crowder and Jones, while maintaining tons of flexibility to take chances on other veterans

You want to plan 4-5 years ahead when you're talking about these current rookies? That's a little unrealistic.

My wish list for now:

WR Brian Quick

TE Dwayne Allen

G Cordy Glenn

ILB Danny Trevathan

FS Tashaun Gipson

Allen would be perfect for what we need at TE...a blocker and RZ target with sneaky atleticism. Hopefully the Colts re-sign Fleener, letting Allen go. Quick is a guy who keeps getting injured just as he's breaking out, came out extremely raw but with WR1 potential...would love to take a flier on him.

Allen would be perfect for what we need at TE...a blocker and RZ target with sneaky atleticism. Hopefully the Colts re-sign Fleener, letting Allen go. Quick is a guy who keeps getting injured just as he's breaking out, came out extremely raw but with WR1 potential...would love to take a flier on him.

Well, Quick got hurt once when he was ready to breakout. He took two years to develop, predictably, then got hurt when he was ready to emerge, and then got basically left behind because he came back back after the season had started and they were focusing on Austin and Britt.

And I think Indy likely lets Allen go.

Highly doubt McC spends big on FA. He comes from the Packer school of building through the draft. They didn't go crazy on FAs in San Fran in Seattle either, just the occasional value signing. I think it'll be eerily similar to last year where we make more stopgap/value type signings. I want more Matt Joneses and Jamison Crowders, not ~30 year old FA mercenaries.

If Chicago doesnt franchise him. I think you cut Garcon and and go all in on Alshon Jeffrey. He is exactly what we need at WR. He has had some injury issues but the guy is the real deal.

Yeah, I've been calling for that one for a while. He would be perfect, I don't care what he costs it will be less than that ridiculous Calvin contract. Doubt CHI let's him go though.

Highly doubt McC spends big on FA. He comes from the Packer school of building through the draft. They didn't go crazy on FAs in San Fran in Seattle either, just the occasional value signing. I think it'll be eerily similar to last year where we make more stopgap/value type signings. I want more Matt Joneses and Jamison Crowders, not ~30 year old FA mercenaries.

I don't see him giving out one huge contract or two per year or anything, but he basically signed an entire DL this year in FA because we needed it to be competitive. He'll do what he has to do I think.

I don't see him giving out one huge contract or two per year or anything, but he basically signed an entire DL this year in FA because we needed it to be competitive. He'll do what he has to do I think.

Yeah, I mean the per year cost of Culliver, Knighton, Paea, RJF and Goldson is around $25 mil. No huge, back-breaking contracts, but also not an offseason that leads one to think he's not going to spend.

It'll be interesting to see who he gets rid of. If he's focused on just a little bit down the road, then there are some ways you make more cap (Hatcher, one of the starting WRs) which you would think would mean more FA spending.

I think you bring in Brandon Spikes for a tryout for a run defending, ILB and thumper.

You think about putting a lot of money in front of Muhammed Wilkerson, DE from NYJ and re-sign Knighton. That will truly solidly the DLineman with Hatcher-Knighton-Wilkerson. Baker-Paea-Kearse

Question is how much will Knighton want?

Also, I think that hatchet is gone. Knee issues, age, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if DL happened to be the BPA come draft day...

Well, if I had a 'wish list'...

I'd take Eric Berry, M. Wilkerson and D. Trevathan

I'd like to continue to build offense through draft in 1st-2nd round. I think we need a anchor WR for future and more O line help in 2nd round with G/C

I'm generally a defensive minded guy, but if we went WR, G/C in the draft, I wouldn't be mad

I think you bring in Brandon Spikes for a tryout for a run defending, ILB and thumper.

You think about putting a lot of money in front of Muhammed Wilkerson, DE from NYJ and re-sign Knighton. That will truly solidly the DLineman with Hatcher-Knighton-Wilkerson. Baker-Paea-Kearse

I personally wouldn't keep Hatcher, for the contract he signed for he hasn't produced enough, that $4.5 we save from releasing him can go towards keeping Knighton and then possibly use our 1st round pick on a DE.

HTTR

Hatcher is still playing well and is affordable.

Scot has never had an issue signing or even trading for a player he wants.

There is also no reason to avoid FA. You just don't build through it.

I keep Hatcher, too.

I also prioritize re-signing Pot Roast.

Hatcher gives me the Justin Smith vibe in the sense that he doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires for his age.

My wish list for now:

WR Brian Quick

TE Dwayne Allen

G Cordy Glenn

ILB Danny Trevathan

FS Tashaun Gipson

I really like Glenn, Trevathan, and Gipson.  Tevathan is likely to hit the market.

I'm generally a defensive minded guy, but if we went WR, G/C in the draft, I wouldn't be mad

Never mad about big boys, but I really have no idea about the draft other than Scot is going to nail his picks.

I really like Glenn, Trevathan, and Gipson.  Tevathan is likely to hit the market.

Never mad about big boys, but I really have no idea about the draft other than Scot is going to nail his picks.

I guess it depends on a LOT of factors. Is SL back and healthy? How does AK look? Can Long pick up C or lock down G? What FAs become available? How does the draft shake down?

There is really no way to know. Knowing a little about Scot, I have a very hard time believing we don't come away with at least 1 O/D lineman in the first 2/3 rounds.

There are some elite WR/CBs in this draft, from what I've read. We could really use a stud in the middle of that defense also.

If we can hit another draft as well as last year (which is doubtful, that was pretty amazing), we are in good shape for several years.

Outside of Center, I think the Oline is at the point where we can start taking more late round chances, as opposed to high end picks, which is nice. Defensive line, we need to get aggressive in the draft.

I agree with you about both Hatch and TKnigh. I also like our rotational depth. I'm hoping Murphy can bulk up to get more reps on the line. I think he can really excel at End. Would also be nice to have a young NT behind Knighton. That would really go a long way.

I'm certain we come away from this draft with a CB, S, WR, DL, OL. TE would be great and wouldn't surprise me to see one drafted fairly high either, seeing as how crucial Reed is to the offense.

So, so many things can happen, but I guess my ramblings can be summed up with a "yep".  ols

Looking at the potential free agents for 2016 makes me incredibly sad thinking about the 2012 draft.

During 2012, it seemed like there was a chance that it could be a game changing draft for us. A franchise QB, a stud RB, our new mold ILB of the future, a real solid and smart nickel CB, and a handful of OL to give us youth along with a QB we'd flip for picks later.

Fast forward a four years...

There's a legitimate chance that Kirk Cousins is the only person left from the 2012 draft for us.

Griffin is almost surely gone. And I think it's 50/50 or better at this point, based on reports coming out of Ashburn Park, if Alfred Morris or Keenan Robinson are retained. I wouldn't be surprised to see LeRibeus and Compton gone as well. And Gettis, Crawford, Bernstein are already gone.

Early on it really looked like 2012 was going to be the foundation for something. Now we're looking at the 2016 free agency period and I'm realizing that a lot of those holes I THOUGHT we filled in that draft may vbe some of the big points we're having to look at this coming off season.

Im thinking that next year the team has the following holes:

LG and C on offense(I think we have a pretty deep receiving core, Ill add a WR if both Garcon and Jackson get cut)

ILB, DL, FS, nickel CB on defense.

I think we can address one of the offensive line positions through the draft, or with someone like AK stepping up.  I expect them to draft someone, as you can never have too many great OLinemen.  You COULD draft  the top C in the draft in say, the 2nd round, but usually thats a harder position to acclimate to quickly, so Im not sure they wont just address that in FA.  So cost, $6 mill

On defense, I see them drafting at least a couple of those positions in the 1st and 3rd rounds.  We need a top DE to replace Hatcher.  We could use a nickel CB, and someone to fill in if Culliver or Breeland get injured.  We need another ILB to start in place of Riley, because last game aside, he has been TERRIBLE.  And last, while Goldson has been an upgrade over last year, we still need a real ball hawking FS.  

Now, there potentially could be some good FS's, and ILB's hitting the market.  Signing a top DE is costly, and it might be better to draft a CB.  So they may elect to sign a FS, and ILB in free agency, then draft depth at those positions later in the draft.  That leaves them drafting in the 1st and 3rd a DE and a CB.  Cost to sign a FS and ILB maybe $13 mill.

So you sign a C, FS, and ILB for $19 mill on the books the first year, that gives you enough room to sign a QB, resign Knighton and a couple others, and add good depth players.

The problem with signing a big-name, big-cost WR free agent is that in our offense, we spread the ball around quite a bit. Alshon Jeffrey averages ~11 targets a game, and he'd be replacing a guy in Garcon who averages a little more than half as many. This is a recipe for frustration and disappointment when our $70 million receiver consistently goes for 6 catches for 70-75 yards.

Given how many wide receiving playmakers have been coming through the draft year in and year out, our best bet might be to find and develop our own somewhere in rounds 1-3. Another playmaker who can get YAC and win routes quickly -- more or less, everything that Garcon doesn't bring to the table. Someone younger, cheaper and faster than Jeffrey, without that big free agent baggage.

––

On the O-line, we've invested heavily there the last two years, with a top-5 pick, two 3rds, a 4th, while making our LT the highest paid lineman in the league. We have the makings for one of the most dominant right sides in the NFL, and between Lauvao, Long and Kouandjio, we absolutely our LG in store for next year. I think the big question is: between Long and Lauvao, can either transition to center? If so, we're pretty much set, with Lichensteiger a good backup at C and LeRibeus a solid backup at G/C, and whoever doesn't make the lineup among the aforementioned LGs.

It's hard to believe we'll be investing another high draft pick in the offensive line any time soon.

On defense, we need young talent everywhere -- our defensive line is all veterans, and Hatcher, RJF, Knighton and Golston are declining talents. Even Chris Baker turns 29 next year.

The inside linebacker position has been a weakness all season and a stud in the middle would do wonders for our run defense.

Corner has become more important than ever, and a very good and deep cornerback group is the best counter to the widespread quick-passing attacks in the NFL, moreso than a pass-rush.

Obviously safety has been a longterm problem for us.

Between free agent dollars and draft resources, pretty much everywhere on defense needs to be made priority.

––

It also seems like people have forgotten about Niles Paul when thinking about signing free agents and spending high draft picks. Between Reed, Paul and the 5th we gave up for Carrier, it's hard to imagine we'll be investing a lot in the position, outside of (hopefully) extending Reed.

First choice Cordy Glenn for LG. http://es.redskins.com/topic/391982-2016-comprehensive-nfl-draft-database/page-21#entry10398596

Multiplicity achieved for tackle spots in case of injury. That means premium contract.

If unattainable, Kelechi Osemele for LG. If neither, you get nothing. Don't reach. 

The draft has Evan Boehm for Center, from Missouri. There will be competition, likely seattle. Boehm is the top Center prospect becuase Dan Voltz won't enter early, would be very un-Wisconsin for him to do so. He's also nursing an injury. Voltz would be #1, but he ain't coming out. That means Boehm. 

One may want to safeguard themselves with an option in free agency in case we are unable to get Boehm, but I feel like we have that insurance policy within our roster already. The guy is under contact beyond this year, Lich.

I don't see the value for Center in free agency, rather the draft. I'd only be inclined to scout Ben Jones, Wiz and Walton, only for the info. 

I believe you approach free agency the same way you approach the draft. You look for the strengths of the class and attempt to take advantage of it. If an opportunity presents itself, you pounce. But likewise, you don't reach. If you get caught up in trying to fill holes and allow yourself to settle for anything other than your first choice, then you've failed at free agency. 

I'd go after Eric Berry. It creates a ripple effect and automatically adds depth with the current roster. Despite going for knockout shots, Goldson has kept things relatively well aligned in the secondary, especially in comparison to past greats like Madieu Williams. You keep Goldson but add Berry, thus creating depth with the other guys like Jarrett. 

Berry would be for FS. 

Similarly to Center, I'd like to draft our Cornerback. However, I could be talked into Josh Norman for boundary CB. Culliver has been disappointing. If we decided to draft our boundary CB, like J. Ramsey, then I could be talked into Janoris Jenkins for slot CB / Nickel CB. 

The other thing is that there are plenty of cheap free agent CBs out there right now, like Isaiah Frey. Although, I think he was placed on the Steelers practice squad upon searching. And next year, after cuts, there might be someone like Doran Grant (who is an ERFA in 2016) available. Again, Steelers. Work from the back-end and not pay a premium price. 

The big thing for us is to scout the hell out of Cornerback for the draft. There are more guys out there than just who is available in the 1st round. You know, the whole Steelers thing of finding mid-round stars for CB ... Ike Taylor (4th round).

As for ILB, there's still an opportunity for us to grab a guy from another team's practice squad.

Taiwan Jones is still unprotected on the Jets practice squad. Again, I'd ideally use the draft, however, I can also see how my plan of targeting Boehm and Kevin Hogan and perhaps a CB early could easily place LB in a spot where the remaining draft talent would not be anywhere near what free agency could provide. 

I'm open for scouting ILB for FA. 

As for d-line, there's lots of pie in the sky stuff in free agency. I like A'Shawn Robinson in the draft. But I also like J. Reed #90 and J. Allen #93, both of whom will be available after Robinson. I understand why folks are bringing up M. Wilkerson in FA, he would cost a pretty penny ya know. I'd look for a bargain deal. I was one of the few who like Malik Jackson in the draft. He's done plenty well as a DE in Denver. Fits the 3-4 too. 

Early prospectus. 

Archived