Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

When was last time we selected a franchise QB in the draft ? (a long time ago)

Scot McCloughan and the NFL's Best and Worst Drafting GMs

He selected Nate Davis in 2009, Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson. Let's hope he'll get us a QB in the category of the 2 later ones.

2012. But we ****ed that up.

Most of you all who are earnestly evaluating the QB prospects, and who've been around and doing this in these threads since 2010 are probably going to end up having the same disappointing realization I did when watching Mariota last year:

We're not going to see another prospect as good as RGIII was come around for a long time, much less draft him.

We had our shot at a kid with the talent to grow into the best QB and player in the NFL and we blew it. And we're going to end up settling for a significantly lesser talent.

That's OK, because you can win with a QB with far less natural talent and ability than RGIII. But there is a reason we ruined our chance with RGIII. All we can really hope is that we don't make the same mistakes all over again.

Hogan makes the cut because of size, experience playing in Stanford'd pro offense, recent performance against USC, and the fact he is from McLean and went to Gonzaga.

I like him a lot.  He will probably get picked in the 2nd round because of the shoes he had to fill when Luck left, but this kid can play and like you mentioned, he knows a pro-style offense. 

I like him a lot.  He will probably get picked in the 2nd round because of the shoes he had to fill when Luck left, but this kid can play and like you mentioned, he knows a pro-style offense. 

CBS has him right now as a 4th-5th rounder.  That doesn't really mean much, as their rankings don't really change yet from the pre-season rankings, but you (and anyone else) think he'll rise to the 2nd round?

Starting to watch Max Tuerk's game against Stanford now, he's CBS's current top rated Center, projected rounds 1-2.  You have to figure he'll fall down the rankings.

Yes, he's athletic, quick, can pull, and often connects with his man.  But he doesn't have good power, balance, leverage or anchor.  Wonder if that has to do with him being 6'6 and playing Center.  Too often he'll get buckled shortly after contact with a linebacker or d-lineman.  On one play he was passed a DT by the Guard, the DT who should've been a little off balance just trucked him.

He honestly looks like a TE that USC is trying to convert to Center.  Tall, long, athletic, but just not a good blocker.  No wonder they down block a Guard and pull Tuerk every chance they get.

Don't know if the embedded will go right there, but it's at 6:10 of the cutup.  This is bad.  He completely misses that a stunt is happening, the QB does a great job slipping the sack, but then he just stands there watching as another defender runs right by him and brings the QB down.

It's a dumb play at 8 minutes, but it does demonstrate some McCloughan nasty.  He's gotta pick better spots for it.

Right now he looks like a Day 3 pick, and has so much upside with how athletic he is.  But he's got a lot of work to do to ever see the field in the NFL.  Wonder if he'll look better in more film, but besides the admittedly awesome athleticism there was a lot to be desired.

CBS has him right now as a 4th-5th rounder.  That doesn't really mean much, as their rankings don't really change yet from the pre-season rankings, but you (and anyone else) think he'll rise to the 2nd round?

Probably, but it seems like it's even harder than most years to project QBs. Is Hackenburg gonna show anything and come out, or stay another year? Same with Cardale Jones. These are guys who could be top 5 picks, but I'm not sure they're showing up as 1st round talents right now. I think Cook could end up being a Jimmy Claussen, 'we like him, but don't love him' guy who keeps dropping. Can a guy like Kiel emerge?

So many questions, it becomes hard to figure how a guy like Hogan will end up fitting.

He honestly looks like a TE that USC is trying to convert to Center.  Tall, long, athletic, but just not a good blocker.  No wonder they down block a Guard and pull Tuerk every chance they get.

Good post AZ. I haven't seen much of Tuerk, but I agree he does look a little odd at center. Looks like a tackle in the Lane Johnson mold, but is probably even lighter. That game looks like a really interesting cross section of his skills and deficiencies. Here are my impressions from those cutups:

- Physical, very good motor and generally finishes plays. Has some mean streak as a run blocker. Stays engaged if he or another teammate gets beat and always looked to try and save the play somehow. I really like this trait. You see it in guys who are superior athletes--they look to utilize their athleticism and doggedness to recover from mistakes. It's part of being a competitor, and it's one thing that jumped out about Brandon Scherff.

- Functional strength looks a little lacking. You're right about him lacking some anchor strength and struggling to generate push blocking in line on run plays. Those are college DTs obviously, so... not ideal. But just as obvious, he'd add strength in an NFL training program. For now, he definitely lacks some sand in his pants, and there is a noticeable difference in functional power and build between him and, say, Evan Boehm.

- Flexible. Does a good job bending. But hand technique is on and off. Doesn't regularly get good extension into his blocks, and has some trouble getting push because the defender gets into his body too often. In the second half, when he was tired, really started dropping his hands and making little effort with his punch and extension. Started falling off his blocks a little more than you'd like once he got tired and his hands got inconsistent. On the plus side, he never really looked grabby, a function of him being able to regularly beat defenders to the spots.

- Recognition skills need work. Probably still learning the center position. Had much less of a comfort level in pass protection, had some trouble recognizing blitzes and twists and spent a lot of time reacting and trying to tread water in pass pro. He also made a lot of mistakes in the fourth quarter.

- Obviously has good feet for pass protection, but balance looked like an issue. Had a hard time keeping his weight on top of his base. He needs work. But I think he certainly has the natural footspeed to slide and mirror, especially against interior DLs.

- An extremely good second level run blocker. I think this is what that high draft projection is based on. He's coordinated and fast. Legitimately fast. Easily the fastest interior offensive lineman in the class that I've seen so far. His down field accuracy is special--he is comfortable adjusting and getting his hat on a smaller target way off his frame. He's an improvising, naturally gifted run blocker that could be a real weapon in a particular running game.

Bottom line for me is that he looks like a project. He's going to have to do a lot of work to build his body for the NFL. And his technique and recognition skills look pretty raw for such a highly touted prospect. But his athleticism is awesome. I see him as a boom or bust type prospect. I doubt he's ready to start early in his career, but I could see a team investing in his development for the potential payoff. I could see him going in about the late second or third round. Definitely needs to go to a team with a heavy outside zone running game. And with his frame, I could also see him ultimately being converted to tackle for a scheme that has their tackles run a lot.

I know his been mentioned but Im kind of liking Bryce Williams out of ECU at TE.  Probably middle rounds?  His actually been somewhat of a beast for us/ safety net (wish we threw to him more).  His got 3TD's, 19 REC for 182 yards with 9.6AVG

Oh, I have no idea where he will be picked I am guessing he won't be in the 1st round despite running a pro-style offense for the past three years at Stanford.  I should have qualified my post further and just said "he'll go after the first round".  He could end up being a nice value pick for a team if he goes in the 4th round. 

We're not going to see another prospect as good as RGIII was come around for a long time, much less draft him.

We had our shot at a kid with the talent to grow into the best QB and player in the NFL and we blew it. And we're going to end up settling for a significantly lesser talent.

If only we had someone to teach Robert how to slide(not dive) and not take so many unnecessary hits like Wilson and that Mariota kid.

what about safety options? any worth a early to mid 2nd? I hope we go dt with the first pick. we need some damn pass rush!!!!

Watch FSU's Ramsey (from the Vol state) and Nate Andrews. Also Connor from Ole Miss.

Would love to get a guy like Tuerk as some clay for Callahan. Think he would do wonders for him. The game above was certainly a bad one....but he was dominant in the first 2, & definitely played a very good game against Stanford.

As OCs go...one could do much worse.

As this season progresses, i'm becoming more, & more entrenched in the want for S'ua Cravens, or Jalen Ramsey as our 1st pick.

I love the idea of getting Kessler in the 2nd, but at this point i'm not sure he falls that far. He really would be the perfect guy to come in, & compete for the job while sitting behind KC/RGIII (whoever the brass keeps next year) for a year or so.

Agreed on Oakman....i think he is a project who you hope can really utilize his abilities with some good coaching.

Is there a scary good ILB in CFB right now? If so, i have yet to see him. Bummer too...it's like our white unicorn these days. Well....that, & QB.

Just watched the Iowa-Wisconsin game. Unsurprisingly for a 10-06 game, defensive players stood out.

The Wisconsin OLB Schobert shone, but there's some fragility about him that suggest to me on first look that he may not have enough physicality to thrive on Sundays.

Iowa corner Desmond King on the other hand had a terrific game and looked every inch the aggressive, physical DB who might develop into a starter. Hope to get another look at him later in the year (Somewhat limited in game choice for college football in the UK :) )

Been taking a peek at some film...i see what you're saying. Looks like a Navarro Bowman type player already.

Gonna watch some games today to scout a bit. Really wanna check out more of Ramsey's game, but WF doesn't look like they want to think about passing at all in this game.

Archived