Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Saw on Twitter, "take the season off for Goff."

Argh. I hope that "lose to get a higher draft pick" doesn't start up here again. I will be reading up more on him and checking the film after reading this thread--as is often the case for me with college players and this thread each year. Given last night's game (didn't see it) and the  prime-time notice the guy's receiving, he must be already counting the $$$. I think I read in the twitter thread that SIP (like monk) is not quite on that bandwagon. Small hands are more likely a liability than not for an NFL QB, IMO.

Argh. I hope that "lose to get a higher draft pick" doesn't start up here again. I will be reading up more on him and checking the film after reading this thread--as is often the case for me with college players and this thread each year. Given last night's game (didn't see it) and the  prime-time notice the guy's receiving, he must be already counting the $$$. I think I read in the twitter thread that SIP (like monk) is not quite on that bandwagon. Small hands are more likely a liability than not for an NFL QB, IMO.

Concerns are Goff is 205 pounds, don't take snaps from center and run a spread offense. 

HTTR!

Concerns are Goff is 205 pounds, don't take snaps from center and run a spread offense. 

HTTR!

How about his teeth? Are his teeth good? A lot of people forget how key dental health is to overall health. People talk about what makes Peyton Manning what he is as a QB, but they don't realize a lot of it is his lifelong commitment to practicing excellent dental hygiene. Same with John Elway (what a set of chompers there) , Dan Marino, and Joe Montana. I know this stuff.

How about his teeth? Are his teeth good? A lot of people forget how key dental health is to overall health. People talk about what makes Peyton Manning what he is as a QB, but they don't realize a lot of it is his lifelong commitment to practicing excellent dental hygiene. Same with John Elway (what a set of chompers there) , Dan Marino, and Joe Montana. I know this stuff.

Teeth are key for endorsement money. The idea being that if you can make easy money off endorsements, you don't spend as much time thinking about finances and therefore more time watching film. Underrated part of the draft evaluation process.

Goff's hair is pretty good though and because of that attribute he just may be a good one.

HTTR!

SIP (like monk)

Ok, so, I googled that and this is what I got: "Session Initiation Protocol."

So, I know you're edumacated and professional and everything, but ... what?

is not quite on that bandwagon. 

Maybe I'm nitpicking. 

I think since a good portion of our offense under Gruden consists of those relatively short passes, high percentage attempts, at least for Cuz, that that style of offense fits with Goff. 

I've followed Tony Franklin and Dykes for a number of years and I think I've read a decent amount concerning their system. But, just simplifying things, they are trying to get isolation match-ups with the passing game.

Last night against Texas, you could see pre-snap that there was purposeful design to get a one-on-one matchup, or a situation where two routes made a single defender choose a course of action. And the QB was to read that defender and play off of it, which is to the QB's benefit. And sure enough Goff hit on a number of those plays.

I don't think Texas is nearly tuned up yet, defensively, for that game to be a good NFL barometer.

You know, I just find it interesting when the narratives come out and the lines get drawn. I'm no genius when it comes to QBs. I think it's a fine art to really eval them. But, when folks start to anoint a guy because of one facet of his game, let's pick out the Peyton Manning look-a-like footwork, it still, apparently, doesn't prevent that QB from making throws from his back foot or offbalance. 

And since you're our resident Clint aficionado, you'll appreciate this, I'm just trying to find his limitations. Because in the previous week's game against San Diego State, I saw a bunch of wonderful throws to wide open guys, lots of scores and a confident kid. Then, kind-of Cousins like, inexplicably a misread of a sinking DB who floated in a cloud zone and nearly picked off a ball. 

For a second I thought to myself ... was he just throwing to a spot because that's how that play was designed and he threw it based upon the disguised coverage, or did he read it and think he could beat the coverage with an aggressive trajectory? I also considered that maybe he released it and immediately regretted it. 

There are however plenty of good things to like about him. 

Is it true he's only 205 pounds with 6.4" height?

HTTR!

Can he gain more weight? Really I don't see him lasting . Sad to say it

Also the only person I see worth doing an Indy colts and tanking it is for the kid from ucla and that's not happening for 3 more years Ahha so build up the team trade for future picks!

Ok, so, I googled that and this is what I got: "Session Initiation Protocol."

So, I know you're edumacated and professional and everything, but ... what?

<edit>

Sorry---SIP is my affectionate shorthand for skinsinparadise. I do that. Sort of like how you're just "monk."

(I loved the TV character and "monk" was also one of Doc Savage's five "aides" in the pulps and paperbacks  :D).

TSO = thesubmittedone

GHH = you know who

Analjuice = well, not telling. 

Goff, could be the type of dude that can't hold weight but he'll get a little heavier.  I'm not sold on him yet like some others.

HTTR!

I don't pretend to be an expert on Goff, just watched Saturday night's game.   My thought is if there is some uneasiness about taking another spread QB that has to learn the drop back game, footwork, taking a snap under center, etc -- based on that game, I don't see how Goff breaks the mold.    

He played out of the shot gun the whole game.   It's definitely a spread offense, high tempo at times, actually with a chunk of read option mixed in, he just doesn't take off and run from it.    His arm strength-zip seemed all right nothing special.   He isn't an athletic guy who can run.    In a way he reminds me some of Sam Bradford, including his physique.  

I think I get the pro-Goff argument.  He is more pro ready than the typical spread QB because at times he goes through his progressions and can read defenses.  Perhaps that's so.     He has a quick release and is fairly accurate.  Maybe the dude is the goods.  Just wondering if this coaching staff would want to adapt to another QB who has to learn the drop back game.

Hopefully Cousins keeps humming and we don't have to worry about QB in the draft.  :)   And if Goff remains the top rated QB as some purport, he's likely going #1 and it doesn't look like the naysayer NFL pundits have us pegged right as the worst team in the NFL so I doubt we will have a shot at Goff anyway.

Chubb vs. Fournette, who you got? I'm a Chubb guy myself.

Joined a couple of dynasty league's this year and have specifically attempted to trade 2016 and 2015 draft picks for 2017 first rounders so I have a better shot at both of them. In one dynasty I now I have 3 of the 12 first rounders, plan to hoard more via trades this season, and then next year when people want to trade into the rookie draft. :)

Joined a couple of dynasty league's this year and have specifically attempted to trade 2016 and 2015 draft picks for 2017 first rounders so I have a better shot at both of them. In one dynasty I now I have 3 of the 12 first rounders, plan to hoard more via trades this season, and then next year when people want to trade into the rookie draft. :)

Not looking at any prospect in particular, but I always thought if you don't have a franchise QB, and are not drafting one high in that draft, the smart strategy could be to trade down for future picks. Given the state of this year's QBs, I could definitely see myself endorsing that plan in 2016.

We're going to end up being way too good to draft Vernon Hargreaves or Jalen Ramsey. I'm not really sure what to expect from this season any more. Seven or eight wins would be my current guess, but anything from 6-10 to 10-6 feels possible.

This is shaping up to be a weird class too. A couple QBs could get picked in the teens and 20s, which has become really rare. We might end up in the odd situation of picking in the late teens, needing a QB, and actually having a couple of good options available in that range.

Looking forward to the UCLA vs Arizona game the most next weekend. It's not starting at 11:00 at night for once. Scooby Wright is supposed to be back for the game. It'll be interesting to see him juxtaposed with Myles Jack.

I don't really know what to make of Scooby. On the one hand, he doesn't look like he has an NFL body at all. He's undisciplined and routinely overruns plays and forces himself to make leaping tackles off his frame. He's on the short and top heavy side and doesn't look particularly long. And his role in Arizona's defense isn't like a role he'd have in an NFL defense.

On the other hand, he makes **** tons of plays. He is physical and shucks blocks even when linemen extend and latch on to him pretty good. He's a dynamo that closes on the ball extremely fast. And he has an incredible sense of timing both when blitzing and lining up hits. He seems to effortlessly find his way into the backfield and he lands those high difficulty, out of position leaping tackles with amazing frequency.

Part of me thinks he lacks the physical attributes to make it in the league and his strengths don't really translate to a role as an NFL ILB. But another part thinks he wouldn't be the first time a super instinctive defender with a bad body and seemingly marginal upside broke the mold and made it in the NFL. He's a fun and bizarre prospect.

One position of interest for me would be DT/Dline.

Dont get me wrong I love our current rotation but I think it would be good to add a young guy. I like some of the Baylor guys but kinda feel they are huge potential but questionable hearth and passion.

How would you feel about a Eddie Vanderdoes in the second? Know lot of you guys watched Rosen so probally seen him too.

Dont get me wrong I love our current rotation but I think it would be good to add a young guy. I like some of the Baylor guys but kinda feel they are huge potential but questionable hearth and passion.

How would you feel about a Eddie Vanderdoes in the second? Know lot of you guys watched Rosen so probally seen him too.

Why should I listen to you for matters of American football...you're European! :P

HTTR!

Absolutely, if we're looking at 2016 positions where we have no real youth developing, it's DT, CB (you need more than just Breeland), C (Reiter wasn't signed to the Practice Squad), Safety (no idea what's going on with Jarrett, but I guess that's a good thing).

Next season, DT will have nobody younger than 28 on it.  That's not good for the future.

Absolutely, if we're looking at 2016 positions where we have no real youth developing, it's DT, CB (you need more than just Breeland), C (Reiter wasn't signed to the Practice Squad), Safety (no idea what's going on with Jarrett, but I guess that's a good thing).

Next season, DT will have nobody younger than 28 on it.  That's not good for the future.

Good list. I would add a TE who's not just a pass-catcher.

Archived