Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Shaq Lawson is giving Ronnie Stanley everything he can handle too. Lawson has been awesome so far. Rushed the passer on the first down of the series. Dropped into coverage on the next down. Then plays containment and stops the zone read in the backfield on the next one.

Notre Dame was not ready to start playing this game.

I've got to say, this is the fourth time I've seen ND this year and I'm not especially impressed with Jaylon Smith. He looked good against UVA and flashes from time to time, but there is a lot of ugly. His athleticism is unquestionably elite. But his instincts are lousy and he doesn't know how to use his hands to get off blocks and he's a soft tackler. I don't think he really knows how to play his position. Reminds me of Bruce Carter from UNC, who was also considered a potential top 10 pick his final year until he tore his ACL.

He's got tons of upside as a project player, though I question how much of an opportunity a young linebacker gets to develop if his instincts are poor. But right now Reggie Ragland and Myles Jack are way better than him.

Also have to say I've not been impressed with Jayron Kearse either. He's a total nonfactor. Passive. Motor looks bad. Is a spectator on plays away from him, making zero effort to get involved in case his teammates miss tackles. A player with his extreme size and athleticism should be a head-hunting terror at safety. He's the most disinterested player on his defense. Don't really know what's going on with that situation.

McGlinchey can't hear the snap count apparently. He's really struggling.

LOL! Shaq Lawson is beating Ronnie Stanley's ass senseless! Dear God.

I haven't been blown away by Stanley this season either, and tonight has been a real low-point for him. He's an athlete but his functional strength is not good. Lawson is destroying him with power, making him look super soft.

Let's just say, if we pick top five again, I'm glad we already have our LT.

Finally! Kearse showed up.

If you can close on the football that fast and hit that hard, you should be getting yourself involved constantly. Not once every 20 plays.

Holy Hell Kearse is strong. He just lowered his shoulder and obliterated that blocker on that blitz like he was swatting a fly.

I see where the high draft projection comes from. He has the physical traits of his uncle. But somebody has got to figure out how to light a fire under him. He needs a role where he is in the box and is constantly involved in plays because he spends way too much time daydreaming.

Eh, I say that and then the next play is Kearse in the middle of the box covering the hole, and he lost his receiver and let him make an easy catch in his zone and his teammate came up and made the tackle.

I think he's just slow to diagnose what's going on in front of him. It looks like he's asleep on his feet.

He plays flatfooted too. He's extremely tall for his position and stoops over, doesn't bend and doesn't backpedal.

what about safety options? any worth a early to mid 2nd? I hope we go dt with the first pick. we need some damn pass rush!!!!

Jeremy Cash is #1 with a bullet. Only downside MAY be how much the game means to him. Heard him on the local sports station here in Charlotte a couple days ago, and he talked a lot about academics, having a back up plan, and wanting to go into the FBI.

Guy is a dynamite player, but at the NFL level, you have to completely commit to the game to be great. If he commits, he'll be great.

I've got to say, this is the fourth time I've seen ND this year and I'm not especially impressed with Jaylon Smith. He looked good against UVA and flashes from time to time, but there is a lot of ugly. His athleticism is unquestionably elite. But his instincts are lousy and he doesn't know how to use his hands to get off blocks and he's a soft tackler. I don't think he really knows how to play his position. Reminds me of Bruce Carter from UNC, who was also considered a potential top 10 pick his final year until he tore his ACL.

He's got tons of upside as a project player, though I question how much of an opportunity a young linebacker gets to develop if his instincts are poor. But right now Reggie Ragland and Myles Jack are way better than him.

Yeah, not a great showing for Smith. I think he usually gets away with reacting slower because of his insane athleticism, but you're right, he doesn't look very instinctive and that's something you want a potential top ILB to already have figured out. Instinct and football smarts are much more important than athleticism at that position, with the players who have equal amounts of both being elite.

The balls look waterlogged. These kicks are getting zero air under them.

Yeah, not a great showing for Smith. I think he usually gets away with reacting slower because of his insane athleticism, but you're right, he doesn't look very instinctive and that's something you want a potential top ILB to already have figured out. Instinct and football smarts are much more important than athleticism at that position, with the players who have equal amounts of both being elite.

He's a pursuit player that's best when running to the sidelines. He's fast and he's got a good motor and he looks really well conditioned. But I think he is a 4-3 WLB in the NFL. I think he would struggle to play in the box.

Kearse has the longest limbs I've ever seen on a safety. His build reminds me of a young Sean Taylor. He could be an absolute monster if he was a smarter and more aggressive player. He can absolutely lay the wood.

I get the sense that he hasn't really found his place within this Clemson defense. He seems really deferential. He's lined up all over the place, but I think he's just not that well suited to these deep half and third zone coverages where he is so far removed from the action.

You can see how the wet conditions have really degraded the quality of the DL play for both sides. In the first half Shaq Thompson and Sheldon Day were just monstrous off the snap. Very explosive, getting tons of penetration. Pushing back double teams. But in the second half they've been quiet. Tired-looking, spending most of their time in pusuit, and really struggling to fire off the snap and get up the field because of the bad traction.

Yeah...from what i saw today (still need to finish), Ragland looked better to me. It's 1 game, & it will be interesting to look at the tape at year's end, but just based on today, & what little tape i did watch...i like Ragland more.

Jack is pretty good as well.

Summary of my takeaways:

1.) Ronnie Stanley - Great feet. Great size. Very long arms that can really keep rushers at bay when he wins the leverage battle and extends. Definitely an NFL caliber athlete at LT. But kind of soft, and definitely lacks some functional strength. Really really struggled against power. Shaq Lawson put him on skates time after time. Just no ability to anchor. He only really started holding his own against Lawson when the guy finally started wearing down in the second half

I probably would not put him in the top ten of this class. He reminds me of Andrus Peat. I think he's a project that's going to take time to become a viable starter. Athleticism and size alone do not make a good NFL LT. He's going to have to build his body for the NFL and get a lot stronger. If a team trots him out as a rookie because they picked him top five, the results are going to be ugly, like they were with Luke Joeckel and Greg Robinson. He is not ready to deal with NFL caliber power.

2.) Jaylon Brown - A mixed bag. He brings some good things to the table, takes a lot off too. His athleticism defines his positives. His lack of instincts and technique for the nuances of the LBer position define his negatives. I'm afraid he's going to be way over-drafted and then written off as a bust when he's not CJ Mosley. He needs to be drafted into a specific type of scheme. He's suited to an every down role, but only as a 4-3 WILL on a defense where the defensive linemen keep their LBers clean. He can blitz and he can flow sideline to sideline and pursue the ball. He is not suited to setting the edge or playing between the tackles.

I would probably give him a second round grade based on the potential his athleticism gives him. But I would put a round 5 or 6 grade on him for a 3-4 base defense. There just isn't really much of a role for him in a 3-4 base scheme.

3.) Elijah Shumate - Pretty good. A physical striker but misses more tackles than he should. Definitely an athlete, and has good size for the position. He got caught with his pants down early but settled into the game pretty well and did his job. Made some good plays. There wasn't anything that really wowed me, and it's hard to evaluate safety play on regular broadcast footage because of the views. But my impression was that he was an NFL caliber athlete and probably has the upside to develop into a starter at the next level. I would guess probably a mid round grade for him. He'll get drafted.

4.) Sheldon Day - This guy is a force. He's not scheme diverse, which will probably hurt his draft grade. He needs to play in a one-gapping 4-3 scheme or else he'll only be a rotational player for a team with a 3-4 base D. He is a terrific pass rusher with elite quickness off the snap and excellent balance. He's got a low center of gravity and is a wrecking ball lineman that's just difficult to block. Very fast first few steps. Can get to where he wants to go before the double team forms and split them. There are so many plays where he just doesn't really get blocked despite the fact the OL is always trying to account for him because of his quickness.

As a run defender, he just doesn't anchor that well. He's short and just isn't going to get the extension he needs to stack and shed interior linemen. Clemson ran away from him a lot, which seems unnecessary and maybe even counterproductive seeing as how he's actually a fast pursuit player with a great motor that runs plays down from behind. But they did tire him out over the course of the game.

He reminds me of Will Sutton. He's not as good as Sutton was, but he's a similar player. But his lack of versatility is really going to limit the number of teams that can draft him.

5.) I didn't watch McGlinchey, Martin, and Russell closely enough to say much about them, other than that, in general, the corner looks pretty good. Good size and athleticism and he was clean almost the entire night except for one penalty that I remember. McGlinchey got some penalties early on and Martin was on his heels and getting blown back in the first quarter, but that's all I really noted from them. The ND OL eventually settled in and started playing a lot better.

6.) Jayron Kearse - the kind of athletic specimen you'd expect from a Kearse, but not a particularly impressive football player at this stage. He's as strong as a horse and is a terrifying downhill player but spends most of his night spectating and ball-watching. Just seems slow to read the field. His technique in zone coverage is also lousy. ND never threw at him in man coverage when he lined up against the slot receivers and tight ends. He has the size to easily blanket tight ends and the ability to turn and run downfield with anyone. He's grabby though, doesn't like to release his hold on the receiver once the guy gets off the line and heads downfield.

For all his lethargy on the field, he did come up with two key fumble recoveries where he was right there in position to make the play and reacted fairly quickly. And he forced a key fumble late in the game with those insanely long arms of his.

He's a first round caliber body with a late round caliber motor and on-field awareness. Seems like he's still "finding his voice." I would say he's currently being overrated as a potential first round pick because of his measurables. I'd say he's a project that's more likely a late second or third round grade. He needs to go to a team that will play him in the slot and blitz him. He needs a scheme where he'll get to play downhill.

7.) Shaq Lawson - Very impressive. Scheme diverse. He spot drops into covering hooks and flats. He rushes the passer from the blind side. And he sets the edge well. He's got a wide, burly frame with long arms and very powerful hands. Not an elite edge rusher with a blazing first step that's going to flatten out and turn the corner on a tackle with speed. He's going to go straight through the lineman and take the shortest path to the QB. He got a good variety of power moves. Can pursue the ball well when plays are away from him, and definitely anchors well at the PoA. And his coverage looked competent, although I highly doubt you'll see him making a ton of plays in these situations.

He wore down over the course of the game and was noticeably less effective in the second half. Clemson almost never rotated him off the field, and he doesn't look like he has the body for that. He needs to play in a rotation to maintain his effectiveness as a penetrator over a full game, or else lose a lot more weight.

He reminds me of Preston Smith in some ways. Doesn't have Smith's elite length, so he probably won't be drafted as high. But is a similarly well-rounded player. I'm thinking late second round is a fair range for him. I would love for us to draft him.

Im still in shock about last nights game. I havent see Florida be this dominant since Meyer left.

I thought they where just lucky with the 4-0 start. They won some close games by beeing lucky but there was nothing lucky about this game. They beat Ole Miss in every aspect of the game.

Will Grier is a suprice at QB. He looks to fit the systeme really well but also shows the ability to go through reads. I did not expected that.

Veron is just straight out balling at CB. To me he is a top 15 pick that will start from day one.

Will Grier is a suprice at QB. He looks to fit the systeme really well but also shows the ability to go through reads. I did not expected that.

Grier is an interesting kid. Played at a very small school here just outside Charlotte, and put up ridiculous numbers against weak competition. He continued to play well through the playoffs, but the big concern was his build.

I went to see him once, and the arm and decisions were top notch for a kid his age, but at 6'7" about 195, he looked like he might get broken in half at any minute. Looks like the Gator weight program has got him much stouter. Kid has all the tools.

Veron is just straight out balling at CB. To me he is a top 15 pick that will start from day one.

He's special. He's my favorite defensive player in the class so far. The best overall player I've watched actually. I think he's notably better than Joe Haden was, and I think he's probably worth a top five pick.

He's special. He's my favorite defensive player in the class so far. The best overall player I've watched actually. I think he's notably better than Joe Haden was, and I think he's probably worth a top five pick.

Yeah I think he could easy go top 5 but it looks like there are some very good passrushers. In General they are more 'in demand'.

Starting to watch Max Tuerk's game against Stanford now, he's CBS's current top rated Center, projected rounds 1-2.  You have to figure he'll fall down the rankings.

Yes, he's athletic, quick, can pull, and often connects with his man.  But he doesn't have good power, balance, leverage or anchor.  Wonder if that has to do with him being 6'6 and playing Center.  Too often he'll get buckled shortly after contact with a linebacker or d-lineman.  On one play he was passed a DT by the Guard, the DT who should've been a little off balance just trucked him.

He honestly looks like a TE that USC is trying to convert to Center.  Tall, long, athletic, but just not a good blocker.  No wonder they down block a Guard and pull Tuerk every chance they get.

Don't know if the embedded will go right there, but it's at 6:10 of the cutup.  This is bad.  He completely misses that a stunt is happening, the QB does a great job slipping the sack, but then he just stands there watching as another defender runs right by him and brings the QB down.

It's a dumb play at 8 minutes, but it does demonstrate some McCloughan nasty.  He's gotta pick better spots for it.

Right now he looks like a Day 3 pick, and has so much upside with how athletic he is.  But he's got a lot of work to do to ever see the field in the NFL.  Wonder if he'll look better in more film, but besides the admittedly awesome athleticism there was a lot to be desired.

SC fan here. Tuerk has played all over the line his career. When he first got to SC he played Tackle, that was when Kiffin was still HC. Right Tackle is his best position imo. When Sark was hired he moved him to C.

He's been solid as a center but I liked his trajectory better when he was at T. I wonder if some NFL FO's feel the same.

Archived