Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I also don't know how well we should rank the Utah defense. But, let me go a little bit mainstream for a second, as in, this is what the media will say type of stuff. 

The Utah defense got to Goff. Hit him. "Rattled him," they'll say.

And for lack of a better analogy, that's the kind of stuff that will happen in the NFL. He'll face situations where things are off and he'll have to become even more precise. He'll get pressured and hit, and folks will wonder if the bad passes were a result of being hit.

Once you get there, even the dumbest football journalist can smear. The mainstream generalization that detractors will use, is, can he handle being hit? Can he handle a tough defense?

Forget situational breakdowns and film study, the media likes macro view, soundbite, material. And the game tonight was perfect for that kind of smear job. "Goff gets rattled, turns it over. Cal left high and dry by the Wasatch." 

It's worth noting that Utah's a damn good team this year. Throttled Oregon in Oregon, and beat a Michigan team that's since that loss, outscored it's opponents something like 150-14 or something like that. Cal went nearly winless 2 or 3 years ago, and stunk it up in '13, before winning 5 games last year. Cal was circling the drain when Goff arrived, and he's been under center since he was a freshman. That we (I'm class of '97) were actually in this game till the very end was actually a tribute more than anything, even w/all the turnovers. Doesn't mean he's a lock to be anything at this point, the QB class looks very sketchy right now. Not at all sold on any of them at this point, Hackenberg and Jones have fallen off badly, Cook doesn't look like anything more than a league average guy if you're lucky, to me, and Goff isn't playing in a pro style offense, or against an impressive schedule until he started conference play so he's hard to get a read on too.

I imagine we'll look QB via a trade down or in round 2, think Goff goes outside our pick range, probably top 3-5.

the QB class looks very sketchy right now. Not at all sold on any of them at this point,

This is where I'm at also. Nobody is a sure fire top 5-10 pick in my book. All have holes/questions.

That's why I continue to bang the drum for Hogan, who I believe doesn't get his due because his rushing game dominates. He isn't asked to be stupendous very often, but has the tools and measurables that often show well in the pros. Big, strong, kid, plays in a pro style offense, can move a little bit, and a good head on his shoulders.

Be interesting to see what he does in all-star games and in the combine, because I think he could be a steal in the 3rd round or so.

2014 draft pick watch:

Morgan Moses: Looked good in pass pro. Didn't focus on him during run plays. He did a great job steering the pressure away from Kirk and giving him time. I think he's going to end up being a keeper.

Spencer Long: Held his own. Played a clean game from what I saw and he and Scherff and Kory got good push on that key QB sneak. He hasn't crapped his pants in these first two starts, so I expect him to keep his job and get increasingly comfortable in his new role.

Trent Murphy: Bit of a mixed bag. Falcons were super successful running stretch left, but he did make a handful of big plays against the run. Don't really remember him getting much pressure, but the obvious problem today was our failure to stop the run.

Bashaud Breeland: Stud performance today. Went against hobbled receivers, but certainly had his best game of the season so far. He should be our starting CB on the outside moving forward whether or not Hall and Culliver get healthy. He's our best all around DB.

Ryan Grant: Didn't see him get many opportunities today, but it was a really unfortunate sequence on the final play of the game. Looked like he ran a curl in and Kirk threw an out. My guess is Kirk called an audible to his route and Grant didn't hear it.

Only been five games, but I'm at the point where I'd commit to Moses as our RT of the future, and it would effect the way I weight the OT position when considering players in the same tier in the draft. His talent level is fantastic. Very athletic for his size, really long arms. I hope it never comes to this, but if Trent ever went down with injury, I think you could shift Moses to LT and trust him there.

Only been five games, but I'm at the point where I'd commit to Moses as our RT of the future, and it would effect the way I weight the OT position when considering players in the same tier in the draft. His talent level is fantastic. Very athletic for his size, really long arms. I hope it never comes to this, but if Trent ever went down with injury, I think you could shift Moses to LT and trust him there.

If we're out of the race in week 17, I would love to see us give Trent the game off and play Moses at LT for some experience there. Plus give him plenty of time there next preseason. 

Still early, but CB is shaping up to be our biggest need. I'm not ready to totally write Culliver off, but so far we haven't been able to count on him. He struggled, then got suspended, then got hurt. Hall's body is breakind down on him, and there isn't really anything appealing on the depth chart aside from Kyshoen Jarrett (a nickle corner/safety) and Breeland. It's looking like this season will demonstrate we need another legit starting outside corner, and some depth.

It would be really really nice if Hargreaves or Alexander or even Ramsey are available when we pick.

Hmm Wil Grier suspended for the year for useing preformance enhancing drugs (crap does are a lot of difficult words XD).

It will hurt Florida a lot...Harris is straight crap. But how stupid is this for his long term future. He might now get a shady label that will haunt him in the next seasons.

What do Mariota and Winston learn us?

Mariota always was called the systeme QB. Flashy spread QB who looks great because of the scheme.

Winston was pro style in college. Would have easy transition to the NFL. Lead a team to titels in college.

Right now Oregon looks like a very average team and Florida St still looks good. Mariota looks like a star and Winston mr. Turnover.

Jared Goff is who I want. Stud on a horrible Cal team.  Gonna be all over the scene once he starts blowing it up this year. Here's a great article on him with some plays he made last season

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2469137-meet-jared-goff-the-2016-nfl-drafts-top-qb-heading-into-next-season

But we already have Kirk Cousins who can throw behind his targets and an incredible amount of INTs.

PFF gave good grades to Scherff, Moses, Breeland, and Preston Smith this week. All were solidly positive. That feels good. The grade that Keenan Robinson got doesn't feel so good. And I think he earned it. That might have been the worst game of his career, and Kerrigan and Murphy weren't so hot either. This after they had outstanding games the week before. I don't know what was going on with our linebackers against Atlanta, but that is not the part of the defense I would have expected to crap the bed. Kind of stunned that the secondary and the DL played so well in all truth. Atlanta's pass protection and receivers had been so good in the first four games.

It was good to see our pass protection hold up so well against decent rushers. But we have got to start running the ball like we did in the first two games again. Kirk needs the run game to be chewing up yards to set up good second and third down distances and to give the play action some teeth.

Could you guys see Su'a Cravens fit in our systeme? He is such a unique talent that he could fit in any systeme but not every systeme will make him the most productive. He is probally best in a D where he can play a hybrid SS spot. Line up in the box and stuff. We don't play a lot of one deep safety (cover one) this year, or did I miss it :P

Cash reminds me of LaRon. Just an incredibly fast, physical, and active presence at safety. I would love to have him in the box and covering the slot. He and Keenan would be terrors.

Jayron Kearse should be watching film of him and taking notes, because the way Cash plays is the way Kearse should play.

The only thing is, we've been conservative with the safeties in our schemes for a while. If you draft Cash, you have to use him. He needs to play in the box a good amount so you can get him involved in the action.

I will say that I am way more impressed with Cash than with Kearse and Elijah Shumate. Kearse is a hot and cold player and a clear project. Shumate is competent and looks like a future NFL player out there, but is otherwise not particularly remarkable to me. Cash stands out.

I'm not sure I'd crown him as the best defender in the ACC though, because Jalen Ramsey and Mackensie Alexander are really damn good. Shaq Lawson is really good too. Those would be my top four in no particular order. Give us any two of them with our first and second round picks and I'd consider us fortunate.

I am as well.  I'm not happy with his run blocking so far, I think he's another off-season away from developing that part.  But his pass pro has been an extremely pleasant surprise.

Really curious to see what Gruden/McVay do once Desean Jackson gets healthy.  I wonder if they'll feel more comfortable doing 7 step drops.

I'm watching Cash, and he's definitely not a safety.  He's an OLB.  Curious what he weighs, CBS says 208, but that looks a little light for him.  He lines up as a conventional 4-3 OLB or 4-3 Over or Under OLB 95% of the time.  The few times he's in a "nickel" role, it's just a simple under zone, and he doesn't look the most comfortable doing it.

He's incredibly decisive, sometimes he makes the wrong read, but he's so aggressive that his production from his decisiveness massively outweighs the occasional wrong read.  You know what, that last sentence doesn't really make sense, but whatever.

Aggressive, fast, physical, decisive, fearless, he's a damn weapon.  God, he's so awesome at attacking.  He'll try and blow up whoever.  A Fullback?  Stopped in his tracks and there goes the lead blocker for the RB as the rest of the defense cleans it up.  The QB?  Often avoids the pressure, but the pressure is so quick that the design of the offensive play is dead.  It's full on scramble drill 1 second after the ball's snapped.  With his production in that game and influence on what seemed like every play, I have no idea how Georgia Tech scored as many points as they did.

Based on that Georgia Tech game, in no way do you draft Cash to be a safety.  You draft him because you love chaos.  Random and probably stupid assumptions from just that 1 cutup:

- Kyshoen Jarrett is a better Nickel Back than Cash will be.

- Cash would probably be a poor fit at SS, a total waste of his talents.  He has a ton of Troy Polamalu in him.  I'd need to see more 2015 film of him, in case he can do the Polamalu things that made Polamalu such a nightmare.

- Right now I'd say he's a bit more of a faster smaller Clay Matthews.  Someone who should be lined up everywhere in the box and told to attack frequently.

- He's what 2014 Steelers 1st round LB Ryan Shazier should've been.  Shazier simply wasn't this aggressive or physical in college.  I think Cash enters the pre-draft combine/Senior Bowl process as a LB/S, teams are unsure of his position given his weight, yet he still goes in Round 1.  He's picked in the 20's.

I am as well.  I'm not happy with his run blocking so far, I think he's another off-season away from developing that part.  But his pass pro has been an extremely pleasant surprise.

Moses has been the most feast or famine guy on the line so far. His games against the Giants and Falcons were brilliant. His game against the Eagles was awful. But the important thing for now is that he's occasionally feasting.

I agree with you about being a little disappointed in his run blocking. The same is true for Scherff. They flash major talent but they really lack consistency and our running backs have struggled the last three weeks because of how bad the OL has been. But the protection has actually been pretty solid this year, and as a result, Kirk had a pair of good performances.

I wanted to excuse the bad run blocking as a result of playing exceptionally good DLs, but that excuse is only going to go so far. Eventually the OL is just going to have to perform in the run game, no matter who th e opponent is, or else they're just bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry to make personnel changes on the line this year. I want to see Long, Moses, and Scherff play the whole year in their current spots. But if Kory doesn't turn his season around, then he's going to need to be replaced in the offseason. He's been a liability.

AZ, keep in mind the opponent in that GT cut up. They don't have a traditional passing game and barely throw the ball so Cash didn't have to cover anyone.

You're right that he's not a traditional deep safety. He's a hybryd S/OLB that never comes off the field and never plays deep. But if you find an opponent with a more traditional passing game, you will find him in man coverage.

He's an awful fit for a Cover 2 heavy defense, or as a single high safety, but I think he works as an in the box SS. He's not big enough to play OLB in the NFL, but he is big enough to cover tight ends.

Remember that brief stretch of LaRon's career (before he got hurt and ended up on Shanny's **** list) when he was playing SS in the box and was making plays and stops left and right? That's what Cash can be. But you're right, if you draft him, you need to feature him by playing him in the box. And I think you need a good single deep safety to play beside him.

Archived