Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I admit, I was wrong about Joe Barry

kgor93

I think we are who we are.  Barry's defense improved from 32nd to 28th. 

We can blame personnel but I don't think our coaching staff adjusted to what the weather and the GB Offense called for. 

The book on Aaron Rodgers this season was to make him get happy feet... 

We made a patched up O-Line look like the Hogs. 

How hard was it to figure out when going against the wind to blitz the crap out of him? 

GB did the same to Kirk...

They knew if they gave Kirk more time he will eat them up. 

They too had a depleted secondary. 

They come on the road with no excuses.

Don't act like we were SB contenders.

Rodgers did Rodgers stuff once he got into rythm in the second Q.

Yeah you can blame Barry for it like Haslett all you want, difference is Barry played it like Haslett with guys like 6th or 7th stringers on the field, while Haslett do it with starters. We played Cary Williams that had what? 1? 2? training sessions with the team? Alexander Smith at TE? Dunbar, Philips?

It's been said times and times again here, your DL is going to suck if your secondary suck. There's a huge correlation between the two as the longer the secondary covers WRs the longer it gives for the DL to reach to the QB. And the faster the DL reach to the QB the shortest the CBs have to cover. You're complaining about the second when it's obviously first that failed because well... We've been playing guys that were unemployed at the start of the season and others that were UDFA. And we were playing too many of them.

Barry and every coach in the NFL knows they can only do with what they have on the roster.

Injuries happen to every team. Look at Seattle w/o their best rusher, I think their D was missing 1 maybe 2 starters and they scrapped all day long.

With the Redskins its always injuries. There has to be a serious problem with the strength/conditioning coach if this happens year after year. Yes this was Barry's first year, but it wasn't like he was a creative mastermind on defense, Detroit's defense revolved around 1 guy, Suh, and when they figured that out they were toast.

Is he better than Haslett? Thats not a question to be asked without an open-handed slap to the mouth, but if he can't produce better results next year, he may be getting the infamous 'Barry, Time For Him to Show Something' thread. 

I'm all for giving the guy a chance, but since we went to the 3-4 our defense has been a wet paper towel, and its not out of the question to demand a better product for 2016, even if it means taking another direction on defense.

Green Bay spread us out into the nickel and ran it down our throats. Surprised nobody else tried that during the last 4 weeks. Guess nobody else had the threat of Aaron Rodgers

and picked on Dunbar,Blackmon and the new guy, after forcing our only experienced safety into the box.

It's not like he was beating Bash, when he had safety help.

We also got Rodgers moving and he made plays anyway, like a vet.

As for Joe Barry, tough for me to grade him.   I was frustrated with him around midseason when they struggled to stop the run in game after game.   Then that seemed to be fixed for awhile.  Then, not.  Depending on the metric -- defense stats wise isn't vastly improved from last year.  

On total yards, 2014 defense was ranked 20th.  The 2015 defense: 28th.  2015 was ranked better though in points allowed.  The 2015 version gave up more passing yards per game and more running yards per game.  2015 version created more turnovers. 

There are some especially in the media who say Barry has done an excellent job but they don't really back it with any point outside of injuries and they won the division.  I agree he had some serious injuries and we need to see what he does with more talent.  But I didn't really see an appreciable leap from this year and 2014.   But I don't think the book is written yet on Barry.

I know talking about half time adjustments is a bit of a fan cliche and its hard to narrow that down.  But I do miss the Gibbs/Pettibon days, they seemed to always have something up their sleeve -- some of their players said, their game plans were often dramatically different from one half to the next.  I recall one player talking about how Pettibon would adjust in advance to the opponent's likely 2nd half adjustments -- they are going to do this next half and we will do this in response...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/aaron-rodgers-packers-score-on-five-straight-drives-to-rally-past-redskins-32-18/2016/01/10/8a23b638-b729-11e5-9388-466021d971de_story.html

“The tempo was key,” said Rodgers who completed 21 of 36 passes for 210 yards and the two touchdowns and was sacked just once. “We got the tempo up and then they couldn’t keep up. We got a couple free plays, and that was kind of the one that got us going. . . . We got things going and after that, we scored on every meaningful possession after that.”

The Redskins had no disagreements with that assessment. They couldn’t, really. The Packers put together five straight scoring drives and from their first touchdown on, outscored Washington 38-7.

“It was difficult. He had us where he wanted us at,” defensive end Jason Hatcher said. “He wouldn’t let us substitute. Guys was tired. It was up-tempo. They did a great job of attacking us tonight. They made adjustments at halftime and were the better football team tonight.”

Said linebacker Will Compton. “No. 12 is definitely the engine of that offense. You can only give him so many chances before he figures things out.”

Injuries happen to every team. Look at Seattle w/o their best rusher, I think their D was missing 1 maybe 2 starters and they scrapped all day long.

With the Redskins its always injuries. There has to be a serious problem with the strength/conditioning coach if this happens year after year. Yes this was Barry's first year, but it wasn't like he was a creative mastermind on defense, Detroit's defense revolved around 1 guy, Suh, and when they figured that out they were toast.

Is he better than Haslett? Thats not a question to be asked without an open-handed slap to the mouth, but if he can't produce better results next year, he may be getting the infamous 'Barry, Time For Him to Show Something' thread. 

I'm all for giving the guy a chance, but since we went to the 3-4 our defense has been a wet paper towel, and its not out of the question to demand a better product for 2016, even if it means taking another direction on defense.

A team like the Seahawks has been drafting/developing talent with the same system for years now, they can sustain some injuries. We were way behind in the talent curve even at full health, so injuries are more likely to cripple us.

I can't find anything that confirms Gallette is coming back. Is this a rumor or based on something he actually said?

They were saying today on the radio because of his injury we have first rights to his contract, it was also reported that on the way out when he was talking to the media he said he wanted to be here and then lifted up his shirt sleeve and had a huge Skins logo tattoo on his bicep and he said "I'm for real I want to be here".

On Barry, I didn't like the signing at all but I think he should get another year. His numbers were mostly bottom quarter of the league other than scoring (17th) but we had a lot of injuries so it's hard to tell. His game plan yesterday was completely exposed. However, there is a lot to say about building chemistry and keeping things together so if the GM decides he should be back next year I won't have any complaints.

The Redskins had no disagreements with that assessment. They couldn’t, really. The Packers put together five straight scoring drives and from their first touchdown on, outscored Washington 38-7.

How can they outscore us 38-7 when they win 35-18?  Did they score some kind of ghost FG that counts but doesn't count???

Will need to call Mulder and Scully...

A team like the Seahawks has been drafting/developing talent with the same system for years now, they can sustain some injuries. We were way behind in the talent curve even at full health, so injuries are more likely to cripple us.

Very true, injuries didn't help, but it seems like every friggin' year its US who has the big player injuries. Do the Strength/conditioning coaches give the guys a granola bar and Gatorade and tell em have a good day?

I was reflecting more on how coaches can turn a defense around in a single year. Barry isn't that type of coach, I get that, but if he doesn't improve the defense next year, it will start looking like Haslett 2.0 around here, and for the effort of the offense putting up so many points during the season to get us this far, the defense should be able to contribute some when it counts, in playoffs.

Edit ...

I get injuries happen to everyone. But I really think people just don't understand the number of injuries we incurred yet still fielded a team. We were the 4th most injured team with 215 man games lost due to injury. Seattle was 19th at 135!  That's 80 man games difference! or about 40% more! That is not trivial. Here is the data:   http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-regular-season-end-games-missed-due-to-injury-january-4-2016/

As for this 3-4  4-3 thing, the 4-3 was highly over-rated. Our last year playing the 4-3 our Pts/allowed were ranked 18th, actually a spot worse than we were this year (17th).  

I dont know if I was watching some games from other dimension but Joe Barry and Defense totally sucked. they couldnt stop the run and costed more games than won. It was painful to watch them play when defense was up. [sarcasm] I rate them 33rd, two spots up from Hazmatt years just due to ghost teams forfeiting. [/sarcasm]

still, they where far from being good, they need a lot of work and year or two of good draft and FA before they can be any good. doubt Joe Barry is the man, I dont see anything to warrant his job next year but Im not as mad about him as I was with Hazmatt year after year. if he kept his job for all these years Joe will be here for 100 with this performance.  

I'm not sold on Joe Barry.  I don't think the Redskins need more turnover at the moment so I fully expect him to be around next season but nothing this season made me think he was special.  He does need better players and continuity can only help, so maybe his best is yet to come. 

Once they went tempo, our pass rush went away, and we had no answers. Not much more Barry could do. It was a personnel issue.

People overexagerate adjustments. You can't adjust when you have nothing to adjust to or to adjust with.

This was much like the last time we played them. GB went quick pass, and we didn't press. 

But I disagree on adjustments.

GB adjusted, why can't we? The corners have to move up and play press man. Blitz so there is no time for a deep ball. 

We kept Dunbar off, likely Breeland too, so we had no pass rush nor coverage.  Barry needed to eventually roll the dice and be more aggressive with his corners.  Teams do it with injuries in their lineups. Just like we did in recent weeks. 

We can still blitz in the light of the quick pass, they just have to bat balls coupled with tight coverage, it can work. 

Barry ended the season like he opened the season, playing passive D. Had Cousins passed for 500 it may have worked. 

The prospect of Galette returning is certainly intriguing, but people here seem to discount the fact that he suffered a significant injury in tearing his achilles. Do we know he'll be the same explosive player he was prior to us signing him? D Hall, who suffered from a similar injury, is on record saying he doesn't possess the same burst he had before his achilles tear. It could take a couple of seasons for that acceleration to return

Dunbar did a helluva job this season all things considering. I think there were a few times where he go confused (understandable). This probably became more pronounced during hurry up. I suspect that's the reason they had him play more off coverage. 

I don't know if that's true, but it feels reasonable. At the same time, I'd rather them have died by the sword than by the shield. Often, someone is going to break through your shield before their fall from exhaustion. It's not that simple though. I definitely saw second half blitzes that Rodgers killed, but again... I can live with that (although, I'd probably scream bloody murder in the other direction if all we did was go heavy blitz and zero coverage and gave up gads of long balls.)

I just don't think you can win expecting Rodgers to eventually make the mistake. He'll find the open guy if he has time.

I think what Gruden and Barry were banking on - hoping for - was that we'd be able to keep getting pressure from our front 4 after we showed that we could in the 1st quarter.  The Packers knew this too.  Hence, the hurry-up in the 2nd quarter and on to tire our front line out.  There were really no realistic options for our defense after that - we were in a catch 22.  Start blitzing heavily?  Watch Rodgers carve up a depleted secondary for huge gains.  Keep rushing 4 and drop 7 in coverage?  Watch Rodgers methodically move the ball down the field, as our pass rush tries to get to Rodgers on dead legs and fails every time. 

I don't think any scheme would have helped much with that situation.  It comes down to lack of talent.  The middle of our defense is a sieve - from NT/DE to ILB to S.  There is no strong defense in the playoffs right now without studs at those positions.  Until we sure up those spots, we will continue to lose playing the catch 22 game. 

obviously talent is an issue, and i believe that the game plan was to get pressure with the front four

however when you're getting carved up, i'd rather they bring 11 blitzers and roll the dice on that, than to just continue to get gashed over and over again

at least give them some type of different look to make them think something may be coming

again, talent is definitely an issue, but look at how the packers were able to disguise coverages, we just don't bring anything extra to the table

The defense was not the issue. Cousins got sacked 6 times and just beat up. Our offense couldn't stay on the field, while Rodgers wouldn't let our defense off it. It was hardly an X&O's issue.

Rodgers showed why he might be the best QB in the league.

Also, can we stop with the corners being 10 yards off stuff. It's so over blown. When the WR releases, it takes a split second, until they are on the CB. The one WR on the line gets pressed, the others, if you're on the line, the WR will get behind you immediately. Unless someone wants to make the argument that our safeties should be playing deep WR only coverage and ignoring the RBs who were running right through us, because you can make that argument. It's wrong, but you can make it.

Shouldn't somebody be blaming the 34 by now?

OLS immediately.

There were really no realistic options for our defense after that - we were in a catch 22.  Start blitzing heavily?  Watch Rodgers carve up a depleted secondary for huge gains.

this is where i disagree. rodgers hasnt looked good recently because hes getting so much pressure. he was also very inaccurate against us. i would blitz and frustrate him and take my chances that he would continue to be inaccurate. as soon as they went hurry up, it was like we hadn't prepared for that. ive been saying the past couple weeks i dont like how we get early leads and the defense gives up a lot of points at the end. you cant do that in the playoffs. we had them down, we should have gone for the throat. for an amped up guy, barry sure does run a low key defense.

Joe Barry really does nothing for me. He's too concerned with getting beat over the top it seems. Obviously rushing 4 was not going to be good enough against a truly great QB. Where's your change up? Where's your in game adjustment with bringing pressure? Yeah, GB is a better team, but you have to try something and he really didn't. I've seen that from him far to often this year.

Coaching is undervalued and under sold in a similar fashion to how it's oversold. "Geniuses" aren't doing it all on their heads, while at the same time coaches aren't singularly powerless and subservient to the talent they have. Like many things, there is a middle ground, despite peoples enjoyment of always running to the extremes.

Barry doesn't seem like an outstanding DC, but he hasn't had me as frustrated with his schemes or decisions at quite the same rate Haslett seemed to. Was the lack of blitzing annoying in the Green Bay game? Yes. But I didn't see anything out of him this year that makes me want to run and grab the pitchforks and say "Get rid of this man!"

Beef up some of the talent on defense, give him another year with his guys and getting settled into the DC position, and see how it goes. If we don't see improvement next year then I think there's a legitimate gripe and reason to start talking about the notion of retaining him. But anything right now would be kneejerk.

We just can't make the switch now. Too early. While I'm not satisfied with the way the defense went, I can give a first year pass for injuries and lack of talent. Scot went mostly offense in the draft with 5 of our first 6 picks last year. Preston was his only defensive pick and he led all rookies in sacks. Give Scot another draft, get the injured guys back and then make an evaluation after next season. Some of you just don't understand that we have to stop doing things the way we used to (massive coaching turnover) in order to have some cohesiveness to the staff.

I kinda feel the same way I do about Barry as I do with Gruden. I came into the season not knowing if they were absolute bumbling bums and idiots who couldn't even coach up a team well enough that they could be called a hopeless disaster.

Now, I feel that they are at minimum competent coaches and really good teachers. The team improved a lot and looked like a pro team under their leadership. Are they great, average, poor? I still don't totally know, but I they're not putrid disasters. Chances are they are at least decent. Maybe they're Bruce Budreau with the Capitals? Maybe they're Randy Whitman with the Wizards? Maybe they'll grow into something really special?

I think it's all before them. They have to continue building the team and improving on their weaknesses. Huge season 1 jump. Want to see the arrow continue pointing steeply up.

Archived