Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Improvements (Bruce Allen email dated 7/17/2015)

MarkB452

#1 looks interesting - season ticket holders can exchange non-Redzone passes for Redzone passes for games they want to use Redzone......

...not holding my breath that people will be able to watch NFL Redzone on their mobile devices......the bandwidth requirement will be HUGE.

..liking all the perks that STH are getting.  Now if I can just get a freakin' schedule magnet or some sharks with laser beams on their heads, I would be thrilled....maybe I can turn in enough Redskins Rewards Yards to get one of those.......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To the Loyal Members of Redskins Nation,

Finally … it’s Football Season!

Our Home Opener vs. the Miami Dolphins is only 60 days away, our first preseason game is in 29 days and we open our summer training camp in Richmond in only 14 days. This is the perfect time to give you an update of what we’ve done in the off-season to be fully prepared for our opponents on the field and ready to give you the best football experience at FedExField.

A few months back, I wrote to you about our continuing efforts to make the Redskins game day experience the best in all of sports. Getting better on the field and providing our fans an outstanding day at the stadium has been and will continue to be our goal.

It starts with football. In January, we began with the hiring of well-respected General Manager Scot McCloughan as well as key additions to the coaching staff. Free agency, ten drafts picks and other roster moves have made every aspect of the team better. Our offense, defense, and special teams should all be impacted in a positive way in 2015.

In terms of the game day experience, we’ve conducted a series of fan forums, surveys and focus groups to gain your insight and thoughts. We’ve also worked with a number of stadium experts to determine what we can change right now, for this season, as part of our long term effort to be the best. With preseason just a month away, I want to share what you can expect when you arrive at FedExField.

Based on your initial feedback we have already announced:

• Upgraded Wi-Fi accessible throughout the entire stadium. You’ll be able to enjoy enhanced game day features on our Redskins Mobile App and complimentary access for season ticket holders to the Red Zone Channel via NFL Mobile.

• An increase in the number of stadium gates around the concourse to allow fans to enter and leave FedExField more quickly and easily.

• A new parking plan for season ticket holders based on their preferred lot -- to reduce congestion in and out of the stadium.

I am thrilled to be able to share these additional stadium improvements:

1) Introduction of the Red Zone parking lot, opening an hour earlier than other stadium lots, with spaces twice as wide. The lot will have pregame entertainment and fun for all ages. Season ticket holders can purchase/exchange parking passes in advance for games they prefer. We have also added more portable restrooms throughout the lots so you can quickly get back to your tailgate!

2) Additional game day staff located throughout the stadium and parking lots. This includes dedicated Pedestrian Control staff to ensure cars can safely and efficiently travel in and out of the stadium. We have worked very closely with public safety officials to ensure better traffic control on major intersections getting you to the Beltway and other roads faster. Additionally all staff will go through specialized training on an ongoing basis ensuring the stadium is clean and safe and our staff is helpful and courteous.

3) Enhancements to the Bud Light Pavilion. Upgrades include interactive fan activities, a broader array of food options, pre-game live entertainment and “happy hour” pricing up to an hour prior to the start of the game.

4) New Food Items throughout the stadium featuring healthier fare options including freshly prepared salads, fresh fruit, gluten free wraps, grilled chicken sandwiches, crab cakes…and more! Game day specials will be available providing you the opportunity to try some new items at valued pricing.

5) In-game entertainment improvements. We will have new HD Video board presentations, bringing you more scores, stats, and highlights than ever before. Game days will feature military fly overs, two Ring of Fame ceremonies, in-game giveaways, as well as postgame press conferences on the HD boards with coach and players post game reaction. The Radio Broadcast with Sonny, Larry and Chris has been synced with the TVs throughout the stadium so the audio matches the video in real time. And due to popular demand - the Marching Band is moving back to the lower level.

6) Exclusive breaking news – signings, trades, roster moves, injury updates – will go to season ticket holders FIRST. Season ticket holders will be the first to receive in-game player status updates, as well as news of team signings during free agency, trades, draft picks, and other transactions all season long via the Redskins Mobile App – even before the NFL or the media!

7) Launch of Redskins Rewards, a program specifically for Redskins season ticket holders. Earn Yards that can be redeemed for various rewards including memorabilia, unique experiences throughout the year and more. Details about the program will be included with your season tickets which you should receive in the next few weeks.

You took the time to tell us what you want. We listened and will continue to listen to make our game day experience the best it can be. I’m thrilled about what the future holds, and I look forward to seeing you at FedExField.

HTTR

bruce-allen-signature.png

Bruce Allen
President

The other day I parked in DC and did not see any signs that worried me. I left my car and did my business. As I was walking back to my car I saw a minivan with a DC logo right behind my car. I walked up and saw I had parked in a zone permit only section. As I approached my car I saw no ticket. Meanwhile, the guy in the van saw me. As I got into my car, he turned around and drove off. No ticket. I, therefore am...

At least the Redskins seem to be making the effort to improve both on the field and off. The "game day experience" that so many fans complain about means little to me. MY "game day experience" is totally based off how the Redskins perform on the field. I really can care less about food choices, entertainment, wi-fi, cartoon characters running around the field, etc. But I know it means a lot to many fans. So the effort is appreciated. But as we all know, the Redskins do not do well on executing any plan, on or off the field. We'll see how all these plans work out. Hopefully, they will be successful.

I do like several of the ideas. The return of the Redskins Marching Band to the lower level is an excellent idea. They're move to the club level had some benefits, particularly for the band itself (e.g. more room; larger changing room; more space to store instruments, etc.). But out of sight out of mind was a real problem. No one could see them when they played except on the big video screens.

I won't likely be using the Red Zone Tailgate lot but I think it is a wonderful idea for serious tailgaters, especially the large groups who like to tailgate together.

More entrances and exits should help empty the Stadium faster. So that will be a plus for some. I have an easy and quick exit from my seats already so this does not affect me.

I think the dedicated parking lots forcing people to come in the same way each game will be a plus. Too many of us sell out game tickets to newbies which created an uneven distribution of vehicles into the three primary roads leading to the stadium parking lots. That created bottlenecks and made it harder for the Redskins to predict and plan for traffic congestion. But the removal of so many seats over the past 3-4 years will have the biggest impact and Bruce did not mention that. :D

Wi-fi -- ehhh....just not a big deal to me. I'll use it but I watch the game on the field. Why doesn't everyone else. I suppose it will give me something to do at half-time since I don't buy food or drink and normally do not need to use the bathroom.

Yes, the food quality and selection has always been really crappy. But I tailgate, so did I care? No. My question is all that higher quality food and bigger selection going to cost much more and slow down the concession lines? hmmmmm....

But the best effort was finally hiring a real football GM....someone with a track record for identifying talent and creating a football future for this team. Hiring Scot McCloughan was the single best decision made by Bruce and Dan. I believe the Redskins will get better each year. It may take a couple years, but I am optimistic the team will be a playoff contender soon....not this year....but soon. The addition of Bill Callahan and Matt Cavanaugh were also excellent additions to the coaching staff. Even the hiring of Joe Kim as a strength and conditioning coach has me a little excited how he is working with the offensive and defensive linemen teaching martial arts hand moves. This seems so logical to teach that kind of stuff to players that have to use their hands so much and be able to use and deflect leverage to win their battles. I am holding out on how I feel about Joe Barry as DC. I hope he works out; and that his stint in Detroit was more a problem of the lack of talent than poor coaching.

Two weeks until training camp. Hail!!

The other day I parked in DC and did not see any signs that worried me. I left my car and did my business. As I was walking back to my car I saw a minivan with a DC logo right behind my car. I walked up and saw I had parked in a zone permit only section. As I approached my car I saw no ticket. Meanwhile, the guy in the van saw me. As I got into my car, he turned around and drove off. No ticket. I, therefore am...

Changing your signature line? 

One of the biggest improvements,in my opinion, is the increased number stadium entrances. Missed most of the 1st quarter of last year's Buc's game standing in line with many others waiting to get in.Very glad that the band will be back in sight, not the same without their presence. Seems like the organization is making strides, probably due largely to Allen's input.     

Do that many people really want freshly prepared salads at a football game? Seems to me they should just do like the Nats and Orioles and have a number of local foods.

We went to the stadium, this past Wednesday, to preview some of the new food selections.

The new offerings consisted of crab cakes, burgers w/brisket, kettle-chip nachos topped with brisket or chicken, cheese-steaks, burgers topped w/brisket & bacon, Italian beef sandwiches, Buffalo chicken sandwiches, Rueben's, hot dogs w/"exotic" toppings, Italian sausages, Brats, pulled pork, beef au jus, and regular ho dogs.

There was only one table offering salads. My wife said it was good. I'll have to take her word for it...I didn't try them. ;).

We're always too stuffed from the tailgate, and never buy anything inside, but all of the new offerings were pretty good.

Do that many people really want freshly prepared salads at a football game?  Seems to me they should just do like the Nats and Orioles and have a number of local foods.

Guys....no. But there has been a clear trend of more women attending Redskins games IMO over the past decade. The Redskins and the NFL have heavily marketed NFL clothing and the game to females. And women tend to eat healthier than us men. So I can understand having some healthier alternatives. Some people, men and women, are trying to eat better. Not sure I would worry about that at a football game; but hey, everyone is different and has different priorities. And while a lot of us tailgate, a lot of fans do not; particularly folks who use the Metro. So it is good to have some variety in the food offerings. My concern, can CenterPlate (they still have the primary concessions contract, right?) really make quality food and keep it warm for the fans? They can't keep hot dogs and hamburgers warm; don't know how they are going to prepare all the other new stuff and keep it warm. And the quality of what they have served in the past is mediocre at best. But then I have only bought food maybe a half dozen times  over the past 15 years. Sometimes you can't always arrive 4 hours before game time to tailgate. ;)

Post game press conferences and interviews are great. Hopefully people stay and watch those instead of getting in the car and listening on the radio and it helps traffic.

Though, they will likely have Brian Mitchell in glorious HD, ripping the team to pieces every time. Still, should be fun.

People can largely get the post-game analysis on the radio on the way home.  If you want to try to keep folks in the stands, show one of the late games on the jumbotron.

Guys....no. But there has been a clear trend of more women attending Redskins games IMO over the past decade.  ;)

Care to estimate how many salads they sell?  I would expect the number to be really low.

But I hear ya, but when running a business you got to appeal to the masses not the lowest possible denominator.

My main concern is..........

Crab cakes.  Considering the location of the team and many of their fans, you better impress with the crab cakes.  None of those crappy, all filler crab cakes.

Phillips has crab cakes in the club level. They were awful.

Crab cakes. Considering the location of the team and many of their fans, you better impress with the crab cakes. None of those crappy, all filler crab cakes.

The crab cakes that they served us, at the FedEx food event were actually pretty good. There was some filler, but not an obscene amount. If they serve the same ones, at games, they'll pass muster.

That being said, they were being served by chefs, (or people dressed like chefs), not the temporary "hit or miss" gameday staff

So...will the quality be the same on gameday?

The types of fans that go to games have certainly changed.  I remember when it was an absolute priviledge to get tickets to RFK.  It was like Willy Wonka getting the Golden Ticket if you weren't season ticket holders.

As far as food goes. I'm not a big tailgater.  I mean, I don't get to the game late (usually an hour before kickoff), but I'll walk around, get something to eat/drink.  I only go about once a year, since I live here in South Carolina.  So, I just don't really care about salads and crab cakes, etc.

I'm a regular guy.  When I go to the game, I WANT to eat junk.  I eat healthy all week long, so when I go to any game (football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc.) I want ballpark food.  If I want catered food, I'd eat at a restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want the food to be so bad, it makes me ill, but my usual fare is hotdogs/brats or hamburgers with fries.  Sometimes I'll get nachos or ice cream.  What the hell, it's an outdoor ballgame. Leave your fancy ass knives and forks at home. But that's just me.

Oh, and LAUGHING MY ASS OFF at some people who want all the healthy foods, yet I see them guzzling 10 beers with a million calories in them.  That's like getting a diet coke with a supersized meal at McD's.  Really?

I'm curious what these rewards are going to be for STH.

Crab cakes.  Considering the location of the team and many of their fans, you better impress with the crab cakes.  None of those crappy, all filler crab cakes.

As much as I agree with you, I'd dial back the expectations.

In fact I don't even plan on trying them unless I hear a lot of positive reviews on them.

Archived