Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

36 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

that would be good news for my people in SC. they're inland, but will still have to deal with the rainfall amounts. any signs of weakening is good to my eyes

Definitely.  I've got a lot of family in SC and NC too and this storm has been giving me anxiety.

100 year floods and terrible storms are the new annual reality for people living on the Gulf and the Southeast Atlantic coast now.  All we can do is pray these things don't hit us and feel sorry for the ones that get it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Definitely.  I've got a lot of family in SC and NC too and this storm has been giving me anxiety.

100 year floods and terrible storms are the new annual reality for people living on the Gulf and the Southeast Atlantic coast now.  All we can do is pray these things don't hit us and feel sorry for the ones that get it.

almost all of my close relatives are in Columbia and Orangeburg. I went to college in Orangeburg. The family is well prepared, but its still hell on the nerves. 

51 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Still lots of rain and flooding.

And that's almost always been its biggest advertised threat.

And apparently still is, and to a catastrophic degree

Flooding can be super deadly and destructive - see Harvey in Houston last year.

So it may not be prudent to promote calmness for everyone, based only on wind strength reduction.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Here's your sign: Waffle House closed until after Florence

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Many from the South decide how severe a storm is and if it warrants evacuation based on if Waffle House shuts its doors or not, and on Wednesday it appears some have ahead of Florence.

The Waffle House on Frontage Road in Myrtle Beach was eerily empty two days before Hurricane Florence is expected to make landfall somewhere in the Carolinas, a sign to many that this storm is ones to take seriously. 

There is even a Waffle House Index that many, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency, use to determine the severity of a storm.

Here's how it works: 

If Waffle House is open and serving a full menu, the index is green.

If it's open but serving a limited menu, that means the index is yellow.

If a Waffle House is closed, the index turns red. 

According to an article from The Southern Weekend, Hurricane Matthew was so threatening that all of the Waffle Houses from Titusville to Fort Pierce on I-95 in Florida were closed ahead of the storm’s landfall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twa said:

reduced winds should help with power outages at least, stay safe .

Should reduce storm surges too.  Even a 20-30 mph reduction in wind speed means a storm has lost a tremendous amount of force.

It's a good sign that can only help, but he's right that the biggest threat to life and property is the flooding.  Hopefully it won't come near the worst projections.

What danger did CNN state?

add

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-florence-nuclear/u-s-nuclear-power-plants-prepare-for-hurricane-florence-idUSKCN1LR2C8

Duke’s Brunswick nuclear plant is located near Southport, which is close to where Florence is expected to hit. It is about 4 miles (6 km) from the coast and about 30 miles south of Wilmington, North Carolina. The NRC said in a 2004 report that all of the safety-related structures at Brunswick were waterproof up to 22 feet (6.7 meters) above sea level.

Several hurricanes have passed close to Brunswick since the two reactors there entered service in 1975 and 1977, including Hurricane Fran in 1996 and Diana in 1984, both Category 3 storms. Hurricane Hugo, a powerful Category 4 storm, made landfall about 150 miles southwest of Brunswick in South Carolina in 1989.

Duke spokeswoman Mary Kathryn Green said that since the accident at the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan in 2011 all U.S. nuclear plants have installed more safety equipment, including portable pumps and generators.

To prepare for the storm, nuclear operators check on backup diesel generators to make sure they have enough fuel, conduct site walk downs and secure any loose equipment that could become a projectile in the wind, said Hannah at the NRC.

“Most of the plants have gone through or are going through their pre-storm preparations now,” Hannah said.

About 12 hours before the hurricane arrives, the reactors at the nuclear plants will be shut down, Hannah said.

Edited by twa

I wasn't trying to make light of the situation, and maybe it did convey some urgency to people. So that's good, but the fish! I didn't notice them until tshile pointed em out, even though she said you can see fish swimming around. I actually thought it was kind of impressive.

• Haha 1