Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandler's - Need to Know: Should the Redskins trade WR Pierre Garçon?

Larry

Trading Garcon doesn't seem far fetched. Garcon is my favorite player. Most talented WR we've ever had. Last seasons decline in numbers wasn't his fault and he has done much last season that goes unnoticed. 

Isn't Garcons contract done after this season or next? When we finally get good QB play and decent oline, his patience will have worn thin and sign elsewhere. Trading him now could do us both a favor. I hope it doesn't happen, but it would be understandable.

Interesting thread.

I like Garcon, but that may be the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen on ES. :huh: (Sorry Mike42)

(And that is saying a lot, considering ES.)

The Rook :)

I remember a restaurant in Rockville called Phineas. It was the go to steak restaurant for a time. Everyone loved it. Great steaks and one of those 200 item salad bars.  As things go, the restaurant's glory days faded and so they decided to tighten their belt. They reduced the salad bar to fifty or so items (maybe less) and took off menu items.  Not surprisingly, the more limited menu and reduced fixings didn't drum up a lot of new business even though I'm sure it saved them money. The last times I went there I noticed that the steak wasn't as good either. I either got a bad one, the chef was worse, or they were buying poorer quality meats.  Well, I wasn't the only one who noticed and fairly soon the restaurant went out of business.

My father used to take us there on a weekly basis in the late 70s and early 80s. Loved that place.

And now back to our regularly-scheduled programming...

His trade value is marginal, and I can't see anyone taking on his 15mil salary for 2015 & 2016 combined.

I'd keep him...perhaps try to negotiate a pay cut to around 4/5 mil per season....or maybe extend him by giving say 8-10 mil guaranteed over say a 4 year, 20mil contract. I'd consider that a fair deal for both sides.

Anquan Boldin is 5 years on from Garçon for what it's worth.

I think Redskins fans tend to overrate Garcon.

He's a good receiver, but he's really more of a decent #2/#3. We're paying him like he's a #1.

He caught a lot of balls in 2013 but didn't really do much with them. He's not a playmaker like Jackson. Ds aren't really afraid of Garcon. Nobody gameplans for him.

I wouldn't just give him away, but if we could get at least a 2nd round pick for him I'd probably consider it. Of course it's a moot point because nobody really trades premium draft picks for expensive vets.

If they can get a 2nd I'd say trade him but I doubt that is possible. If the cap savings is usable in the future then I'm sure we'd really like to have an extra 15-20Mil in Cap in 2017 for a player that we aren't going to win with now anyway.

Look at the receivers Luck, Wilson, Tannehill have had to play with. We have much better receivers and it has made 0 difference with our QB's and it's not the OL, our QB's just aren't as good and/or the coaching is pathetic since 2012.

Hell no. 

No way I let him leave for cap space, in his prime. 

The NFLs salary cap is a joke anyways. Contracts get restructured and converted to cash bonuses etc every year to accommodate high dollar contracts.  Pierre is a stud, very competitive, and scrappy as hell.

While he had an off year I am more likely to blame Gruden and his questionable staff in 2014 than him. He had no problems under any other OC that I am aware of. His OC had one year as a TE coach.  Even the TEs sucked. 

For a third rounder, absolutely.

Let's clear the air here: We're going to suck next season. We have no QB, a poor offensive line, and a terrible defense. One offseason isn't going to fix that. Furthermore, Gruden will be forced to start Griffin or insist on starting McCoy. Either way, poor QB play will be the focus.

Which means that Gruden will look to get a new QB in the 2016 NFL Draft. Now we will have to start a rookie QB, who will most likely struggle his rookie season. Thus, the Redskins should not reasonably expect to be competitive until the 2017 season.

Which means Garcon will be 30 at a position that, historically, is not kind to 30 and up players. Can we reasonably expect Garcon to be worth the money at that point? I doubt it.

On the other hand, a third rounder is a starter in a couple years. Thats potentially a starting guard for the next four years. Or the free safety we so desperately need.

So, yes, if you can get a third rounder, it's worth it to trade Garcon.

For a third rounder, absolutely.

Let's clear the air here: We're going to suck next season. We have no QB, a poor offensive line, and a terrible defense. One offseason isn't going to fix that. Furthermore, Gruden will be forced to start Griffin or insist on starting McCoy. Either way, poor QB play will be the focus.

Which means that Gruden will look to get a new QB in the 2016 NFL Draft. Now we will have to start a rookie QB, who will most likely struggle his rookie season. Thus, the Redskins should not reasonably expect to be competitive until the 2017 season.

Which means Garcon will be 30 at a position that, historically, is not kind to 30 and up players. Can we reasonably expect Garcon to be worth the money at that point? I doubt it.

On the other hand, a third rounder is a starter in a couple years. Thats potentially a starting guard for the next four years. Or the free safety we so desperately need.

So, yes, if you can get a third rounder, it's worth it to trade Garcon.

A starter like Chad Reinhart, Kevin Barnes, LEONARD Hankerson, Spencer Long or Morgan Moses? Yeah they certainly have more value than Pierre Garçon....

If we trade garçon for a third round pick than this front office is no different than the last.

First things first: 

I think McCloughan has to figure out if RG3 or Cousins have the goods.  If he honestly thinks the answer is yes? Then maybe you entertain keeping Garcon around for 2yrs (hopefully renegotiate his contract) and see what happens.  But if he decides the odds on the status quo are too long, then the prudent course of action would be to entertain offers for Garcon's services and set about rebuilding the core.   And yes,... the core needs to be rebuilt.  Under these circumstances, keeping Garcon around at 10mil a year helps not one bit.

Sometimes, you have to take one step back before you can take two forward.

First things first: 

I think McCloughan has to figure out if RG3 or Cousins have the goods.  If he honestly thinks the answer is yes? Then maybe you entertain keeping Garcon around for 2yrs (hopefully renegotiate his contract) and see what happens.  But if he decides the odds on the status quo are too long, then the prudent course of action would be to entertain offers for Garcon's services and set about rebuilding the core.   And yes,... the core needs to be rebuilt.  Under these circumstances, keeping Garcon around at 10mil a year helps not one bit.

Sometimes, you have to take one step back before you can take two forward.

I can understand the logic of your post but let me counter with this - its easier to develop your young QBs and find out if they have the goods when they have weapons around them.

Garcon is a weapon and he also makes Jackson more dangerous. Its on the coaching staff to figure out how to use him better IMO so I'd keep him unless someone blows us away with a trade offer.

I don't see how a team with very few solid starters can even think about trading one of their better players.  Who cares about the cap savings?  How many times have we seen that cap space wasted on guys like Josh Morgan or Andre Roberts?  i understand we have a new sheriff making the decisions but there's still a miss factor.  Pierre is one of the few hits this team has on their resume.  To find a comparable talent you will use most or all of the cap savings and run the risk that the new player won't produce.  Same thing with the pick you would obtain, even if you could garner a high pick which is questionable as trades are rare in the NFL.  As mentioned it's not like they've got anything behind him ready to take over his production

He is a YAC monster.  Find any semblance of a professional passing game and he will be as productive as ever. 

I agree with KDawg, that I wouldn't rule out a WR at #5, I just happen to think that Kevin White is maybe more what we need than Amari Cooper... I'd be surprised if we didn't 

Additionally, the 'cutting the buffet items' Doesn't apply  here, because there's a salary cap.  Reducing costs at WR may mean a better Defensive back field that keeps us in games.

Trading Garcon doesn't seem far fetched. Garcon is my favorite player. Most talented WR we've ever had.

Oh, these kids today!  No sense of history.  Art Monk and Charley Taylor say hello.  (And that's just throwing out the HOF receivers who've played for this team, never mind the likes of Clarke, Moss, Brown, etc.).  Garcon is a good WR, no question, but let's keep some perspective here. 

Archived