Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules Question-Desean and the personal foul

NorEastNCFan

Can someone explain the call to me when both Desean and the defender were called for personal fouls.  The ref started out with illegal hands to face by defense, then personal foul unneccessary roughness by defense, then unneccessary roughness against Desean.  He said this was offsetting, replay down.  How is it offsetting, when there were two penalties against the defense?

I really hope Jay Gruden gets to Desean and tells him to calm the **** down. He's jumping in someone's face every damn game and is an unsportsmanlike penalty waiting to happen. I get that some players need to get fired up, but he's verging on out of control and somewhere down the line it's going to cost the team big-time. I was holding my breath last night every time he went off.

What about the illegal substitution on Paulsen? I thought those were 5 yard penalties and not 15.

Well, if we're going to go there!  Since when did pulling the facemask of Alfred Morris become legal?  At least two missed ones yesterday in the second half.

Well, if we're going to go there!  Since when did pulling the facemask of Alfred Morris become legal?  At least two missed ones yesterday in the second half.

There was a hold on on Kerrigan near the end of regulation I believe, when Romo was pinned in their endzone. That wasn't called.

The Garcon spear of the Dallas Safety should have been a Safety, he intercepted the ball didnt get touch by Roberts, got up and was tackle and fumbled it out.

THANK YOU Tsailand!

I lost it over that no call.  The game CLEARLY should've ended right there with that Safety.  I'm overjoyed that in spite of it all, the fellas still Won.  But seriously, Coach must officially protest this officiating to The League Offices. 

Sheesh, & I thought the Cardinal game was bad!

(And to the OP, typically the Personal Foul should be called on the guy throwing the punch - and that was not Desean)

THANK YOU Tsailand!

I lost it over that no call.  The game CLEARLY should've ended right there with that Safety.  I'm overjoyed that in spite of it all, the fellas still Won.  But seriously, Coach must officially protest this officiating to The League Offices. 

Sheesh, & I thought the Cardinal game was bad!

(And to the OP, typically the Personal Foul should be called on the guy throwing the punch - and that was not Desean)

I have no problem with the call.  I'm just confused about the result.  Do the offsetting unsportsmanlikes negate any other call (in this case the hands to the face by dallas)?

The holding calls stopped bothering me a long time ago because it seems like other teams always have them ignored against us.

The one that pissed me off was the 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct against Paulsen that took us out of FG range because he was in the huddle. I have no idea what that was about, but 15 yards? Are you kidding me?

I really hope Jay Gruden gets to Desean and tells him to calm the **** down. He's jumping in someone's face every damn game and is an unsportsmanlike penalty waiting to happen. I get that some players need to get fired up, but he's verging on out of control and somewhere down the line it's going to cost the team big-time. I was holding my breath last night every time he went off.

Not that I expect to have a late season crucial moment but if by some miracle we do, DeSean will kill us with an unsportsmanlike penalty. I know this like I know the sun will rise and set.

I have no problem with the call.  I'm just confused about the result.  Do the offsetting unsportsmanlikes negate any other call (in this case the hands to the face by dallas)?

Not a rules expert, by any means.  But I have a theory.  (Actually two.) 

One is that a team can only have one penalty per play.  If, on one play, we have roughing the passer, and pass interference, both on the D, you can only accept one of them. (Now, I believe that you can have a penalty, during the play, and another one, after the play.) 

The other is that I think the way offsetting penalties work is that all penalties are either five yard penalties, or major penalties. 

Two majors offset.

Two minors offset.

If there's a major and a minor, they ignore the minor. 

Because of that, say the O is on it's own 5.  And there's offensive holding, on the 5. and a defensive pass interference, 60 yards downfield. 

Now, the holding would be half the distance, and the PI would be 60 yards.  But they're both majors, so they offset, even though one of them is a lot more yardage. 

The Garcon spear of the Dallas Safety should have been a Safety, he intercepted the ball didnt get touch by Roberts, got up and was tackle and fumbled it out.

i was watching the game with a cowboys fan (no audio), we both agreed that the int in the end zone should have been a safety.

what was the ruling there?

he intercepted the ball, was untouched, he got up, was hit, and the ball went out of the end zone. that's a safety I thought.

Nah, that one was right supposedly. To be a safety he would have had to leave the endzone according to what I saw on Twitter last night. 

Nope.

Even if he was running around in the endzone clearly trying to find a lane and return it, got hit and fumbled out of bounds, it's still a touchback.  It's because it was our turnover that put him into the endzone in the first place.

Well don't hold your breath.  That's who he is, who he has always been and will always be.  We knew we were getting a hothead.  But you take the good with the bad.  And the good is SO FREAKING GOOD that he gets away with it, and will continue getting away with it. 

I love having him on this team.

i was watching the game with a cowboys fan (no audio), we both agreed that the int in the end zone should have been a safety.

what was the ruling there?

he intercepted the ball, was untouched, he got up, was hit, and the ball went out of the end zone. that's a safety I thought.

Actually, as he never came out of the end zone (and caught the ball in the end zone), it can't be a safety.  If he had caught it in the field of play, ran back into the end zone, then fumbled it out, safety (same if he came out and fumbled out of the end zone).

In this particular case, interception, then fumble out of end zone.  Touchback.

I do agree that the ref's non-calls last night infuriated me.  I think I woke up my daughter in the 4th on the lack of holding call in the end zone (as shown clearly above by Tsailand) that should have been a safety.  There was also two missed face-masking calls that should have been called when Morris ran late in the game.  It would have extended the final drive in the 4th quarter, and put the ball around the 20 and right at 2 minutes.

Makes the win all that more sweet.

I don't want Jay doing this the same way I didn't want Gibbs or Norv going to Brian Mitchell and stopping him from getting in players faces. Its a part of the game and if that's what gets the team fired up, then so be it. I'd rather he be doing that than celebrating and designing TD dances (not that I have a problem with those).

I think its on his other players (Trent Williams, Robert Griffin) to go to him and tell him to manage that better and not get penalties though.

Well don't hold your breath.  That's who he is, who he has always been and will always be. We knew we were getting a hothead. But you take the good with the bad.

No, you don't take the good with the bad. You change the bad. Maybe he hasn't changed yet because no other coach told him to knock that **** off.

I love Jackson's fire and passion but he needs to calm himself down. I can't even get excited after he makes a big play because he's always in guys faces afterwards and involved in pushing/shoving. Play hard but be smart, don't cost your team yards. Garcon is the same way.

Not a rules expert, by any means.  But I have a theory.  (Actually two.) 

One is that a team can only have one penalty per play.  If, on one play, we have roughing the passer, and pass interference, both on the D, you can only accept one of them. (Now, I believe that you can have a penalty, during the play, and another one, after the play.) 

The other is that I think the way offsetting penalties work is that all penalties are either five yard penalties, or major penalties. 

Two majors offset.

Two minors offset.

If there's a major and a minor, they ignore the minor. 

Because of that, say the O is on it's own 5.  And there's offensive holding, on the 5. and a defensive pass interference, 60 yards downfield. 

Now, the holding would be half the distance, and the PI would be 60 yards.  But they're both majors, so they offset, even though one of them is a lot more yardage. 

I think you are pretty much correct here. My problem with the call, and I was hoping Tirico would clarify (he's normally pretty good about that stuff), is that the hands to the face was DURRING the play, unsportsmanlike against both players was AFTER the play.

I was expecting to hear hands to the face 15 yds enforced and the unsportsmanlike offset. 2 seperate incidents dealt with accordingly.

Also, agree that Desean needs to calm it down a little. Talk all he wants but he needs to envoke a 2 yard rule to eliminate physical contact with opponents. If he would have looked up and seen the flag and the let the ref do his job that time they would have had the penalty and a first down.

HTTR

Yeah -there were missed calls. There was also a odd sequence that happened in our favor. I dont remember when exactly it was - But we had a third down and we had major confusion on our offense -Everyone running around trying to line up, play clock was about to expire - Then the ref ran in and seem to reset the ball and play clock and we had plenty of time to get the snap off.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?  

Archived