Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Is Robert Griffin III the Washington Redskins’ franchise quarterback? - by Liz Clarke

ToHailWithIt

He's certainly starting to show what he is. A rookie pro HC.

If we lose today and drop to 1-5 wait for the questions on his future to start in earnest this next week.

Hail.

We wont lose today.  Tennessee is a step above Jacksonville.  Today will be a victory by a large margin and the fan base will be temporarily jubilant.

Book it.  You know me GHH, not wrong often.  B)

Isn't every NFL player an injury waiting to happen?

Exactly. The desire of many on this site to deride RG3 is sickening. I understand what it took to get him. I alsoknow what he can do when he's on and I expect him to return to that when his ankle is close to 100%. I didn't expect him to necessarily be a Pro-Bowler in the first two games of this season, but he showed flashes until the fluke injury happened. I honestly believe that our record would be closer to the north side of 75% if he didn't go down in the Jax game.

I don't like the timing of this article and don't think it is really fair to RG3. Can you imagine the pressure this puts on him? If he comes out and doesn't play great, he is gonna get slammed.

Judging by the slew of Griffin-haters that reside on this board, I think he's already being slammed.

We are in a dangerous time for our franchise. You cannot be half pregnant at the QB position. We need to identify Robert as our guy and start building around him, or cut our losses and move on

Either way we will be better off than the course we're on

I still don't see how this constitutes Gruden "having a thing" with Griffin.  What did Gruden say that we all didn't already know?  Griffin was a stud as a rookie, got hurt and struggled in his second year, and he got hurt again this year.  Who cares.

Gruden wants what we all want.  And that is for Griffin to come back this year and play consistently and show great progress.  Let's let it play out on the field, and then we can have a debate about what we need to do.  The constant search for drama and what if's is tiresome.

The only thing that I think has been proven is that KC ain't the guy.

I think this article makes the point about how high the stakes are for this franchise regarding whether or not Griffin can be its "franchise QB."

On one hand, we have Griffin's glittering College credentials, the high price tag to obtain his rights, and his crowd-pleasing performances during 2012. One the other hand we have his injuries, his 2013 performance, the fallout from the dismissal of the Shanahans, his modest 2014 preseason, and the litany of stories/innuendos about his fit as a pocket-passer, his issues diagnosing defenses or going through progressions, his not shouldering enough of the blame when things went badly, his self-marketing coming into conflict with team development considerations, etc., etc.

Gruden has got a lot riding on Griffin, especially how the team fares (game wise, team-wise, future-wise) when Griffin is starting again. Considering the stakes, Gruden can't afford to make a mistake on Griffin -- in either direction.

My sense is that Gruden is a meat-&-potatoes kind of coach -- so he's looking at this pragmatically, and without blinders. And after reviewing all the 2012/2013 game films, and working in person with Griffin during all the training camps, the preseason reps, the Houston game and right up to Robert's ankle injury -- Gruden now has some general sense of what kind of player he's got in Griffin ...but not yet a complete picture. That's why you read those candid comments he makes about Griffin like:

“He has got to come out and, when he gets healthy, prove he has got the capability to be a franchise-type quarterback,” ....

....“When you’re judging a quarterback, you judge progress and consistency. Right now there has been not much progress and very little consistency.”

I think Gruden trying to making clear the distinctions between what is needed to be a "Franchise QB" versus simply being a "Celebrity QB".

And while there's no doubt that Griffin has attained celebrity status, Gruden hasn't seen enough from recent Griffin performances (especially game time performances) to be comfortable with agreeing that Griffin has 'arrived' as the bona fide franchise QB for the Skins' future.

Sorry didn't mean to abandon the thread just have a ton of real work to do today. That said, I AM NOT FEELING this coaching staff right now. The Cousins pull at half-time REEKS of desperation and reactionary behavior. I don't like it. Even as a HUGE RGIII fan, I take ZERO pleasure in Kirk's failure. You can't say he's the guy and has nothing to worry about and pull him after one pick. One pick? That's just a warm up for Kirk! Jay may be in over his head, but let's get this win tho LOL...

Sorry didn't mean to abandon the thread just have a ton of real work to do today. That said, I AM NOT FEELING this coaching staff right now. The Cousins pull at half-time REEKS of desperation and reactionary behavior. I don't like it. Even as a HUGE RGIII fan, I take ZERO pleasure in Kirk's failure. You can't say he's the guy and has nothing to worry about and pull him after one pick. One pick? That's just a warm up for Kirk! Jay may be in over his head, but let's get this win tho LOL...

Wait, what? 

What he tells the media is obviously different than what he probably says behind closed doors. 

They had to pull Cousins because dude looked like a deer and headlights and had difficulty going through SIMPLE progressions. 

I'm glad we have a vet like McCoy as the #3 (soon to be #2), because we'd be sitting at 1-6 right now if Gruden left Cousins in the game. 

I didn't read the article, and I don't know if Griffin is our franchise QB (just solely based off of health), but I do know he's better than the walking turnover, Cousins, and is considerably better than McCoy.  Griffin needs a fair shake of things going forward.  I hope he can keep his health because I'm still very high on the guy. 

I think we should Suck for the duck . Jax won today so maybe there is a chance . I worry about RG3 with staying on the field . Yes ankle was a freak accident ..... but we did not see enough game to truly tell if he was back too 100% form last year. I really dont care who is throwing the ball I want to just win and be consistent

There was no point in this franchise selecting a QB with the second overall pick if they weren't planning on building around him and giving him the time he needs to develop.

Thank you, we have not tried to develop Robert since he has been here. If Gruden does not get that then Gruden needs to hit the road and bring in Harbaugh if SF cut him loose. 

Not sure how that can be answered considering he's played in 4.5 quarters in this offense? 

If he struggles should we yank him so we can stop holding back our playoff bound team? 

smh. It is this type of media impatience that has plagued this team for not finding a franchise qb. We never give ONE adequate time to prove it. And if we do, it's new system/offense every 2 years. 

insert eli manning evidence here: as bad as he is, they stuck with him, year after year, same offense, and eventually he did something.. twice.

Chris Russell in the pregame today said that that is some tension between Jay-McVay with RG3, though its not as bad as things were with Shanny.  Russell seems to think most of it stems from Gruden's impatience with RG3's development -- Russell actually put the blame somewhat on Gruden saying in his view he and McKay are too impatient and need to learn patient in developing him. 

I like Jay.  But those comments in this article in my view just aren't smart.  It's OK for Jay to think this stuff but no need to antagonize your QB with quotes like that in the press for the world to see, IMO. 

Chris Russell in the pregame today said that that is some tension between Jay-McVay with RG3, though its not as bad as things were with Shanny. Russell seems to think most of it stems from Gruden's impatience with RG3's development -- Russell actually put the blame somewhat on Gruden saying in his view he and McKay are too impatient and need to learn patient in developing him.

I like Jay. But those comments in this article in my view just aren't smart. It's OK for Jay to think this stuff but no need to antagonize your QB with quotes like that in the press for the world to see, IMO.

Jeez....man

Tension already? Dude has played only 1 game

Outside of the money, I can't think of one good reason to be on the Redskins payroll.

No one, and I mean no one, on the Redskins payroll, should be comfy and cozy right now. They should be as nervous as a pregnant nun.

Why would players be nervous, they can go to other teams that aren't dysfunctional.  Really, who wants to play here.

At this point, who cares what RGIII thinks.  This is the NFL.  An unrelenting win now league that defines the word impatient.  As quality coaches have said, the QB is a pressure position.  If they can't handle a little adversity, just like what RGIII is going through, how the heck are they going to handle the pressure on the field?  In 2012 RG had the read option so he was not forced to pocket pass.

That is not the case anymore.  Now, he needs to shut up and show he can play.  Just like the head coach is saying in kind words in the media.  Just like any other NFL head coach would say.  So far, I like the coaching staff.  Like many around the league, they need a front office to provide them with quality players.  Like many teams around the league, they need a franchise QB to win games.

Archived