Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Is Robert Griffin III the Washington Redskins’ franchise quarterback? - by Liz Clarke

ToHailWithIt

Couldn't be a sillier post in this thread. Our franchise went from being one of the best in an entire decade to one of the worst in the entire NFL because our fan base devalues players. Right.

Not quite sure thats what DG was trying to say but that is certainly a part (small part) of the issue.

Confidence plays a larg roal in development and fan perception greatly effects confidence. Look no further than Robert and Kirk for a good example of that.

Not quite sure thats what DG was trying to say but that is certainly a part (small part) of the issue.

Confidence plays a larg roal in development and fan perception greatly effects confidence. Look no further than Robert and Kirk for a good example of that.

Both QB's had incredible fan support prior to them playing poorly.  Again, it's not the fans fault that we are where we are.  As a matter of fact, not sure I have ever seen a rookie QB with Robert's confidence.  Even after the injury.

I still believe in Robert Griffin.

2013 was a wash due to ZERO preseason and an injury that takes a long time to recover from. Forget 2013.

In 2014, I thought he looked good enough against Houston in his first Gruden game despite JJ Watt going berserk on Tyler Polumbus. Special teams lost us that game, not RG3. He was looking very "2012" against Jacksonville until the dislocated ankle.

Both QB's had incredible fan support prior to them playing poorly. Again, it's not the fans fault that we are where we are. As a matter of fact, not sure I have ever seen a rookie QB with Robert's confidence. Even after the injury.

Again, not saying it is the fans fault. That would be asinine. Im just saying it plays a roal in confidence that was clearly broken when both players began to struggle. Its common sense really.

I still believe in Robert Griffin.

2013 was a wash due to ZERO preseason and an injury that takes a long time to recover from. Forget 2013.

In 2014, I thought he looked good enough against Houston in his first Gruden game despite JJ Watt going berserk on Tyler Polumbus. Special teams lost us that game, not RG3. He was looking very "2012" against Jacksonville until the dislocated ankle.

I dunno Chach,

I agree, 2013 was a nightmare, but even in the 1st game this year against the Texans, he still had some of the same traits he had in 2013, and the commentators were pointing it out too. 

The Texans don't have a good defense, especially their secondary, but it couldn't be exploited; even when Watts was blowing up Polumbust adjustments could have been made, via Gruden or Griffin, but the high powered offense that was mentioned in training camp by some players never really has materialized, and expectations were high around here, especially with the addition of DeSean Jackson.

When Griffin comes back, he's gonna have to prove to alot of people that he deserves to be the starter; personally I hope he does prove it, but i'm not gonna blow smoke up someone's ass about him; he's been injury prone, and thus far he's had 1 good year, 1 bad year, and one 'undetermined' thus far. He needs it for himself more than any of us for his self confidence.

I dunno Chach,

I agree, 2013 was a nightmare, but even in the 1st game this year against the Texans, he still had some of the same traits he had in 2013, and the commentators were pointing it out too. 

The Texans don't have a good defense, especially their secondary, but it couldn't be exploited; even when Watts was blowing up Polumbust adjustments could have been made, via Gruden or Griffin, but the high powered offense that was mentioned in training camp by some players never really has materialized, and expectations were high around here, especially with the addition of DeSean Jackson.

When Griffin comes back, he's gonna have to prove to alot of people that he deserves to be the starter; personally I hope he does prove it, but i'm not gonna blow smoke up someone's ass about him; he's been injury prone, and thus far he's had 1 good year, 1 bad year, and one 'undetermined' thus far. He needs it for himself more than any of us for his self confidence.

I can't argue with you or I'd be ignoring things that are right in front of my face. I just think that when we've seen his worst, he was not healthy and neither was the state of the coaching staff.

The Washington Redskins are a bad organization, top to bottom. I think any QB's performance would suffer in this environment. However, what Robert did in 2012 was messianic. The guy truly lifted the entire mess, put it on his back (I admit Alfred Morris was a BIG help), and carried the staff, the team, and the fan base to new levels of hope. The kid was AMAZING. 

I have to believe he can get some of that back. If I don't, I might as well leave this team behind me because every other aspect of it is a train wreck. 

Edit- I do disagree with those that think he stunk in the season opener this year. I think he played average which isn't too bad considering it was his first live action since being benched in '13, his first game with Gruden, and our special teams handing over the game whenever they got the chance.

re thoughts on the article ... I think its leaning towards anti-Griffin without anything other than the author's personal standards as a measure.  Honestly those standards are fairly common and I tend to lean towards them also but its not that hard to view Griffin's conduct in a positive fashion ... even if it is a case of a young athelete with a huge ego.  Also the treatment of Gruden is leaning towards negative as well.

First ... the answer to her question is obvious ... he is the franchise quarterback by definition.  He might fail at it but that's what he is good or bad.

Second ... Griffin's doing what anyone would want him to do ... he's pushing himself ... physically and professionally.  He's holding on to the reigns of the job he was hired for ... "the" Redskins QB, the straw the stirs the drink, etc.  I admit to having some issues with the way he relates things and the way he separates himself from the failures of the team but that's strictly style and could be chalked up to being young and also being a product of his generation.  The Redskins should embrace, if only to control, RG3's act ... e.g.,  jump on his presence warming up before the Seahawks game and sell it as indications that he's working hard and sticking with his teammates, etc.  RG3 could help with a couple "I support my teammates ... even the ones playing QB" quotes here and there ... and frankly I'm surprised they haven't scripted that and pushed it out there.

Third ... Gruden ... and Griffin ... and most of not all Skins fans ALL want Griffin to become a steely-eyed pocket passing assassin.  Most recognize it as the bow on the otherwise freakishly talented QB package ... and also an area where he needs to develop.  Can't fault Gruden for talking about this as a reality and it shouldn't shock anyone to hear it ... why it seems to be an issue for this "reporter" is beyond me. 

I can't argue with you or I'd be ignoring things that are right in front of my face. I just think that when we've seen his worst, he was not healthy and neither was the state of the coaching staff.

The Washington Redskins are a bad organization, top to bottom. I think any QB's performance would suffer in this environment. However, what Robert did in 2012 was messianic. The guy truly lifted the entire mess, put it on his back (I admit Alfred Morris was a BIG help), and carried the staff, the team, and the fan base to new levels of hope. The kid was AMAZING. 

I have to believe he can get some of that back. If I don't, I might as well leave this team behind me because every other aspect of it is a train wreck. 

Edit- I do disagree with those that think he stunk in the season opener this year. I think he played average which isn't too bad considering it was his first live action since being benched in '13, his first game with Gruden, and our special teams handing over the game whenever they got the chance.

I'm with ya; I don't think he stunk it up either in week 1, but I can'ty say he did great either. Moving the ball downfield and scoring TDs, not FGs, is his main job [ along with whoever is RB ], and it leaves alot to the imagination of how/IF Gruden is catering to his strengths vs opponents' weaknesses, because we all knew way ahead of time that Watt was going to be a force to reckon with, but they looked like they never saw him before.

Griffin and Cousins both could be very good QBs [ stop laughing ] with a decent o-line and better scheming on offense, but in a way its almost a given that Gruden will get a pass, at least this first year, on his gameplanning; next year is a different story; and to be honest, i'm not sold on Gruden being able to get the job done. We've all seen new OCs/HCs on a new team, and their offenses look top notch.

Its just so much crap on this team, from QB problems to questionable coaching to pathetic defense and ST to poor management to suspect scouting dept to sorry SOB in charge of the damned headsets constantly not working.

Where's my beer...

Archived