Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For longstanding Redskins fans, is the thrill gone?

HogHeaven1983

The thrill will never go away for me. I have had season tickets since 1964 and I don't plan on giving them up. I will always be a Redskin fan and supporter. I am excited about the new season and coaching staff. I am NOT a fair weather fan and have seen a lot since rooting for the team since the 50's both highs and lows. It makes the highs so much better when they happen. There are better days ahead.

I barely remember the last Super Bowl win. I'm pretty much resigned to this team being mediocre to downright bad every single year. I don't get excited for every game like I used to. Especially the last loss of a 3 and 13 season. If the team turns it around I'm sure my interest will be renewed, until that time, I'm just not sure I care as much anymore. I find myself so focused on my career and family right now though, I'm sure that's part of it.

Fan since 75 ( 5 years old) and while the thrill is not gone... its diminished.. not because of how the team plays, or all of the other bull**** going on

in the media, but because my wife and I had a son last year! He is way more important! Yes he has tons of Redskins clothes and what not, and I want

to go to every home game, but just cant any more.... before I got married again last year, I missed maybe 7/8 Redskins games since I was 10 because of either

sickness, or physically I just couldnt go because of a injury lolz ughhh

The thrill will NEVER be gone, my priorities are just different these days :)

Soooo please see my for sale thread for games this year!!! lolz

The Spurrier years definitely tested my patience as a skins fan, sure we had worse years and teams but what drove me nuts about the Spurrier teams was we supposedly had talent but we stunk up the place, our defense was horrible and undisciplined. The 27-0 shutout at home vs Dallas was the closest I came to jumping the bandwagon.

I feel like I've been a Redskins fan since Moby Dick was a minnow. With the ups and downs It's been a rollercoaster ride. Though ABC  Wide World of Sports didn't telecast NFL football, I can still hear Jim McKay's voice:

"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport… the thrill of victory… and the agony of defeat… the human drama of athletic competition…"

With the Skins there's been the thrill of victory but a lot more agony of defeat.  Nevertheless, I wouldn't root for any other team.

Liked for the Jim McKay Wide World of Sports intro!

The thrill was gone for me from December 8 when they layed down and gave up against the Chiefs until about a week after the Super Bowl. I have been building up to be excited since then like every other year. I was indifferent on the Gruden hire but his fiery personality has since won me over. I was VERY disapointed in Haslett. Morris, Burney and Forester being retained and not exactly thrilled with Hilliard being brought back to coach receivers and I really hated to see RB coach Bobby Turner being let go for Randy Jordan but I can't do anything about it so there is no use obsessing over it until I see how it works out. Thr draft and free agency were a mixed bag for me, liked some and hated some(Shawn Lauvao?). Ninety five percent of the reason the thrill is there for me this year is because our quarterback is coming back 100% healthy with some great new weapons in Jackson, Roberts, hopefuly a healthy for 16 game Reed and maybe a dynamic speed back in Seastrunk. I think Griffin is the most exciting player in the NFL and he will show that again this year. The OL and DL worry me but I'm really glad we have RGIII to build around and it's great that we are done paying for him now. Can't wait till training camp reports start.   .    

Been a football fan since '68....Skin fan since '72.  The thrill is definitely not gone.  Hope is there.....hope that we have found our franchise QB for the next decade.  Hope that we have found a FO that can consistently identify talent via draft and FA.  Hope that we have found our next Gibbs in Gruden. 

And Burgold was absolutely correct about FEDEX in '12.  That place rocked, especially down the stretch when we were on our 7 game win streak.  I look forward to more of that this season at FEDEX. 

Just no other NFL team that I am going to root for in my lifetime.  Heck, I would have to repaint my man cave, and invest $$$ in jersies and such....plus my family would then be clueless about what to get me for Christmas and Birthday's and such......;)

HH,

I get what you're saying. Been a fan for 25 years and I've always been incredibly excited about my skins.

Last year, I think, took a toll on a lot if people. Kevin Sheehan has talked about it, so you're not alone. It's not that you're not a die hard fan, or like your not actually going to watch the games, or get excited when the season starts or the night before a game where you can hardly wait for kickoff.

"Stockholm syndrome" and "submissive resignation" mentioned earlier are probably exactly what a lot of fans are feeling.

I'm usually glued to sports radio in the offseason. This year, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes (but that's mostly cuz I hate most of the programming).

Come august and September, I'll be jumping up and down on my couch.

Strangely, I actually feel like the offense is going to be awesome this year (and I think the D will be respectable), so maybe I am still crazy. :)

OMG yes I'm excited for the season!!  You are a long time fan like me (me '70, you '69) and you never know when the "magic" will appear.  Remember being pissed off at Gibbs when he first started?  He lost his first 5 games and everybody was enraged.  We are close to that magic again because we have REAL play makers again.  YOUNG play makers just figuring this NFL thing out.  Now we have a new, hungry, YOUNG head coach. We might even enter some real sweet golden years in short order.  Yes the landscape of the NFL with caps & free agency has changed the playing field from the "old" days, but that, in itself, makes it easier if a team gets hot, to go to the promised land, and makes it easier for us to get better, faster, if we manage our cap properly. Remember not overpaying at the outset of free agency this year?  Sometimes you get lucky, but we prepared ourselves to be "lucky" There is no way we should even have Desean Jackson, if you really think about it.  HELL YES I'M EXCITED, as I always am, but it feels better now, like it something we may be able to sustain if things are done right AND the players buy in.  I cannot wait for this season to start!  HTTR

Fan since '85...

Lemme put it this way. ..I'm also a huge soccer fan, this WC has been amazing. ..AMAZING! yet...The instant a game is over...I'm checking for Redskins news, NFL news...anything I can sink my teeth into.

All this while my Lakers seem to be orchestrating another NBA coup d'etat. I frankly couldn't care less right now. Of course, some of that has to do with my reluctance to have the players in question join my team...but still...

The point being that I have plenty to be excited about, but I am all 6's & 7's over the upcoming season. Perhaps more than I was for Robert's rookie year.

Not sure what you mean.  To say the "thrill is gone" to me is to say that the Redskins were constantly a 11,12 win team but I no longer cared.  I assuming that you are asking me if I would not be thrilled if the Redskins ever became a good team again?  Since I'm here and unhappy that they went 3-13, that would be a negative.

I think you also have to realize that we're at the worst part of the thrill ride.  Sure, it's thrilling to plan the trip, which rides you are going to go on, find out who can make it, etc.  So, draft and free agency is a little thrilling.  Even the car ride can be thrilling, because there's some anticipation, plus bs'ing with your friends is always good.  So, the may Mini-camps have a bit of thrill.  Now, you get to the thrill park and you see the rides, hear the screams, feel the water splash you or the wind from some of the rides and yeah, preseason can be thrilling, but right now... we're standing in line, not even to get on a ride, but we just hopped out of the car and are waiting in line to buy admission.

That's the least thrilling part of all.  Someone hand me a frozen chocolate dipped banana dagnabbit!

Folks, my intestinal fortitude has been tested, and I do not blame fans from "dropping off the bandwagon" over the past 10 or more years.  I live in Florida, and when recently visiting family and friends in the D.C. area had the chance to re-stock on 'Skins caps, as I have thrown a few out of the car window in disgust in past years.  Nevertheless, I have been hopeful since we drafted RGIII and have gone about building a younger team with developed talent. The BIGGEST change in my outlook, is that I do not buy into the Kool-aid, so I don't expect too much.  My optimism is tempered by recent records and dashed hopes, so even if I believe the team is getting stronger, I take a wait and see approach and expect we aren't at the same level as the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles. I expect we belong in the cellar, but I know we could break out and compete for the division title.  i just don't get my hopes up, like I used to!

Been a fan since 1972, and I still have a passion for the Skins. But I have to admit, if the team changes its name, it may lead to a divorce. Heck it may lead to a all out exit from football altogether.

HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Archived