Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Offseason/Mini Camp tweets (whatnot & glutton free) - 6/17/14

Sure seems like it, doesn't it? Also, it just sounds like everything is more positive than ever before. Even the reporters are positive. Hopefully we've found our guy in Jay.

Seeing the way Orakpo has responded to Baker...having Ryan Clark school the dbs, watching Breeland add attitude to the secondary while getting coached up on pro technique...even hearing head cases like Meriweather get it...Ryan Grant, the O Line shakeup...so many positive changes.

I realize nobody will care unless we win - naturally. But even then you hear comments about fundamentals courtesy of Wade Phillips. Gruden just SEEMS like he gets it. No more elephants in the room. A problem? How bout we address that. Even an issue like air conditioning in the press room gets his attention.

Players apparently love him. Coaches get to coach. I sure hope it all translates to wins because it feels like this franchise can finally breathe.

God help us all, may it continue...

Jake Russell ‏@_JakeRussell 1m

Didn't know this until now. Of Jay Gruden's 31 professional seasons as a player and/or coach, only three were losing seasons. #Redskins

Jake Russell ‏@_JakeRussell 1m

Those three losing campaigns were in Tampa. Info according to Athlon's Sports Pro Football Preview.

Those are some interesting facts.  Hope he can keep his streak alive with us!

HTTR

Crazy seeing as how people were calling him (Jenkins) a steal last year.

Lots of tire kicking this time of year, don't be surprised by anything by the time season starts. It is obvious they wanted to upgrade all LB'er positions by adding depth. Adding guys is a motivator or move over signal. 

Gruden just SEEMS like he gets it. No more elephants in the room. A problem? How bout we address that. Even an issue like air conditioning in the press room gets his attention.

Players apparently love him. Coaches get to coach. I sure hope it all translates to wins because it feels like this franchise can finally breathe.

God help us all, may it continue...

It certainly beats second guessing and constant paranoia. 

It certainly beats second guessing and constant paranoia. 

Amen

IMO it's hard to judge some of the younger talent, they landed in the fustercluck of last season with so much crazy BS going on, I am kind of inclined to give 'em a pass and see what they can do under a staff not tearing at itself like weasels on meth.

If I'm not mistaken he was supposed to be the best pure pass rusher on the team that was going to make 'Rak expendable this year.

I wasn't necessarily against the Gruden signing, but I wasn't sure if I was high on it either. Game day results matter, but I am extremely satisfied with the coaches he's brought in, the attitude he has, the way he runs practices and his overall demeanor.

It's a welcome change. Then again, a lot of change is welcome, but Gruden has that "it" factor.

I'm very high on him as our head coach.

I wasn't necessarily against the Gruden signing, but I wasn't sure if I was high on it either. Game day results matter, but I am extremely satisfied with the coaches he's brought in, the attitude he has, the way he runs practices and his overall demeanor.

It's a welcome change. Then again, a lot of change is welcome, but Gruden has that "it" factor.

Personally I'm still in wait and see mode. The signs are good, he's handling himself well in the media and apparently everything seems positive from practice - but it's June. No one has even hit anyone yet let alone played games that matter. I was like you on the hire - not really high on it but also not really against it. I am reserving judgement until I see the product on the field when it starts to matter.

Personally I'm still in wait and see mode. The signs are good, he's handling himself well in the media and apparently everything seems positive from practice - but it's June. No one has even hit anyone yet let alone played games that matter. I was like you on the hire - not really high on it but also not really against it. I am reserving judgement until I see the product on the field when it starts to matter.

MartinC has it right here. We have all been lead astray and fooled a time or 2 in the past only to be disappointed and let down hard.

I am hoping that Jay is the fix to our issues, and things look good so far, but I will hold off until mid-season at least before I drink the cool-aid.

MartinC has it right here. We have all been lead astray and fooled a time or 2 in the past only to be disappointed and let down hard.

I am hoping that Jay is the fix to our issues, and things look good so far, but I will hold off until mid-season at least before I drink the cool-aid.

Perhaps he does. But I've been around football for a long part of my life now, and I get a feel for coaches that create a positive environment that players buy into and coaches who create a stressful environment... And of course there's the category of coaches who create a relaxed environment, but mainly because the players don't think the coach has a clue.

This is currently an example of the first.

Players seem to be held accountable, they seem to be having fun, and they seem to be embracing the challenge (100% attendance).

It's an excellent start, and I am still high on the hire. This season, to me, is positive if we improve. Ultimately my goal is anywhere between 7-9 and 11-5. I'll be shocked if we don't get to seven wins with this coaching staff and personnel. Even WITH injuries.

John Keim @john_keim 45m

Like @Russellmania980 said, groves pending visit makes u wonder about Jenkins/Jackson. Will say: Jenkins needs to step it up. A lot

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 49m

With #Redskins kicking tires on Groves, an OLB pass rush guy - u have to wonder how much (if any) confidence they have in Rob Jax & B-Jenks.

He was a ST captain and standout before he broke his ankle last year. Could be he is the Zo replacement they've been looking for.

Look at the muscle definition in Kerrigan's arm.  In two years, Trent will be like that too, maybe even by this time next year.  Loving our OLBs. 

this is moving perilously close to the infatuation with Laron Landry's muscle definition, that was the talk of the town/message board a few years ago. i believe there was even an official thread related to that topic...

Heard a lot about Breeland. Seems to be holding his own. So much for that 4.6 40. He's been on everyones hip it seems like. And we have a lot of very quick/fast receivers.

hard to tell until the full pads go on, but i agree, his name keeps popping up and usually in a favorable way..

That looks and sounds like FUN

More teaching going on than I ever remember. Gruden's a massive improvement in that department, for sure.

I refuse to accept this is "teaching" when there's little use of the slip n' slide

Mid season? Ummm, no. How about after "two" good seasons in a row? Seems like thats the unreachable holy grail for Redskins coaches, if you ask me.

Welcome to ES, where 74 percent of our late-round draft picks are "steals" :)

though, if I'm being honest, i was a fan of the Jenkins pick, but was under no delusions that he would ever evolve into a stud. Of course time will tell, so the prudent thing to do would be to give him more time

Bingo. When has this message board and its inhabitants ever displayed hostility and pessimism towards the team in June? Last year at this time, the board's perception was equally as positive and excited, and the season turned out…. well the less said about that, the better. Definitely a wait and see situation

Well, in the interests of transparency and accountability, I was a big supporter of B Jenkins (still am). The kid was recovering from injury and dropped into the mess of last season, I'm not sure it's fair to write him off yet. Let's see what more focused coaching and less teeth gnashing/hair pulling drama can do for him and others. In some ways Philip Thomas may have gotten off easy being injured.

And I don't care what anyone says, I can taste the difference without the gluten............

I actually like Jenkins too, and the potential for what he can bring to the table.

So it's a bit deflating to see comments this early on about him having to step it if he wants to make the final 53.

I think the reason why so many were thinking B Jenkins was a steal was because he was highly touted in college and dropped in the draft because of his Lisfranc injury, which from my understanding can be pretty tricky to deal with in some cases.  Before he was injured, some had him as a potential late 1st-2nd round pick.

this is moving perilously close to the infatuation with Laron Landry's muscle definition, that was the talk of the town/message board a few years ago. i believe there was even an official thread related to that topic...

No infatuation from me.  I just think guys get much stronger after a year or two in a professional training system.  As for Laron, my posting history will show that I was no fan of his during his last 2 years with the 'Skins.  (It is a shame I have no idea how to search my historical posts.)

Robinson may be the key to the D.  Sounds like he has what it takes to call the plays -- he's got the speed, if he's got the instincts that will allow him to move Riley around at the last moment and position himself to make the play or force it elsewhere.

It's an excellent start, and I am still high on the hire. This season, to me, is positive if we improve. Ultimately my goal is anywhere between 7-9 and 11-5. I'll be shocked if we don't get to seven wins with this coaching staff and personnel. Even WITH injuries.

I agree, but amazingly set the bar one notch higher: I think that they REALLY should get to 8 wins.  

I have a lot of faith in Gruden, and his ability to get something special out of the offense.  I don't think the OL is as bad as most folks think, especially if Gruden installs his quick-hit type of passing game, combined with the existing running game, and the added explosiveness of D. Jackson and Roberts.

If the offense performs, and cuts down on turnovers, and the defense and ST just hold their own, they should be a .500 team. With just a touch of luck, they can be better than that.  I keep telling people that the 'skins last year were ranked higher than the Colts in both passing and rushing offense.  But because of turnovers, a bad defense, and historically bad ST, they ended up at 3-13. Colts were 11-3.  

But this time it's different! 

/sarcasm

I completely understand this mentality, and I think it's the right way to approach things.  I liked the hire more than some, though mostly because I'm not sure that I could find a better alternative for THIS situation. Everybody had their favorite, personally I liked Rob Ryan, but of the guys who did get jobs, the only one that I really liked was Whisenhunt. O'Brien was interesting, but I was never enthralled by him.  And I didn't care much for Lovie, Caldwell or Pettine.  Zimmer was sortof a push for me.  

So, I'm also wait and see, but I like what I've seen so far.  I really think the 'Skins should be much better record wise this year if the defense and ST can just be average.  And I think they have the coaching and talent to be average.  

I find the "coaches he brought in" interesting.  Because unlike a lot of scenarios, there were quite a few of the coaches that stayed from the previous regime, most notably Haslett and Morris.  Interesting there because the defense was poor, and the secondary was not the strength.  

They also promoted from within the OC and kept the OL coach.  

I think the best thing was bringing in the LB coaches and getting rid of the Slowiks, and bringing in a West Point grad to run the ST.  

I've liked the moves overall, but I wouldn't have been at all unhappy if Haslett had been shown the door, and they had hired "Son of Bum" to run the defense.  Even though I'm nowhere near Haslett's biggest critic, I think they could have upgraded at the DC position.  

Nailed it!  Anything else is just pablum.

Archived