Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Offseason/Mini Camp tweets (whatnot & glutton free) - 6/17/14

Ahh, the sweet smell of optimism. Must be June

LOL I was thinking the same.  We haven't even gotten to training camp and KDawg has Gruden christened.

Anyone following this team for the last 2 decades should have a health sense of wait and see.  We love to anoint the team in the offseason.  It's gotten quite comical.

LOL I was thinking the same.  We haven't even gotten to training camp and KDawg has Gruden christened.

I don't see where he "Christened" anybody. He seems enthusiastic about Gruden's approach. There are no mindgames, no sherriff in town, just football/teaching. I don't see where he guaranteed a trip to the playoffs, an undefeated season, or a dynasty

Go ahead and chill under that dark cloud if you want to. But don't bring other people up just because you don't want to get hurt again

LOL I was thinking the same. We haven't even gotten to training camp and KDawg has Gruden christened.

Anyone following this team for the last 2 decades should have a health sense of wait and see. We love to anoint the team in the offseason. It's gotten quite comical.

I think we all know a good football team when we see one.

Washington Redskins @Redskins 3h

#Redskins players watched #22JumpStreet starring @channingtatum & @JonahHill after practice today. Movie opens 6/13! pic.twitter.com/9O9OjR9fae

Courtney Bridget @DontThrowAt21_  ·  10h

Finished OTA's out strong with a pick and possible crib call.

Courtney Bridget @DontThrowAt21_  ·  Jun 11

The higher the stakes, the tougher the competition, the more daring you must be to carry the day. Beat today. Own today. Win today.

Courtney Bridget @DontThrowAt21_  ·  Jun 11

Pushing myself to get something I deserve.

Courtney Bridget @DontThrowAt21_  ·  17h

The key to this is to treat your first day like your last. #StayBusy #StayWorking Grind!!

CB Courtney Bridget seems really focused and dedicated, while other players tweeting about non-football related things, this guy is really keeping his eye on a roster spot.

If anyone cares, Morgan Moses's(?) brother is an Eagles fan

mmosesthe3rd

2 weeks ago

It's official my young bul is a @morganmoses_76 #WAS #REDSKINs #HTTR IM STILL AN EAGLES FAN THO #EAGLESFLYHIGH so proud of this guy man

927347_240741992789519_456327378_n.jpg

1739310_644754488903879_226612385_n.jpg

Bashaud Breeland @Salute_me17  ·  Jun 9

Do you love your line of work? Or feel like this is all you have left too do? Im loving and feeling bless to have another day at work! #NFL

Breeland has his mind right too!

CB Courtney Bridget seems really focused and dedicated, while other players tweeting about non-football related things, this guy is really keeping his eye on a roster spot.

Courtney Bridget is a player?  What the **** were his parents thinking? I'd seen Courtney Bridget tweets and seriously thought it was a reporter of the opposite persuation. Jeebus!

Courtney Bridget is a player?  What the **** were his parents thinking? I'd seen Courtney Bridget tweets and seriously thought it was a reporter of the opposite persuation. Jeebus!

He's the 6'4'' Cornerback everyone is hoping will ball out

IMO it sounds pretty

:wub:

Great quote.That's what I like to hear from these players.

Great way to approach life in general.

Sounds like he's buying into the team.....or that he's been wearing that new shirt everyone has on too often lol the "WIn Everything" shirt

I'm not sure whether to heap praise or cast aspersions on the thread title. Glutton-free? I'm a glutton for tweets (not punishment). Or was that meant to be gluten-free (which is how I've been reading it for twenty pages)? Is there a sly in-joke I missed here?

Paloffs? Paloffs???

John Keim @john_keim 11m

Injury updates: Cofield, Hankerson: An update on two injured Redskins: receiver Leonard Hankerson an... http://es.pn/1kvqhNx  #Redskins

Still no idea when Hankerson will return. And I doubt there will be a better idea next week.

That's why when asked if he has any indication Hankerson will be ready for camp, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said, “None whatsoever.”

Meanwhile, Hankerson said, “I'm feeling pretty good right now, out here moving around a whole lot more. Probably got a couple months to go. Should be good by training camp, but you never know.”

The Redskins don't need Hankerson to rush back after tearing his ACL and LCL last season. It's not just about the starters, but they at least have experienced backups in Santana Moss and Aldrick Robinson.

Hankerson looked to be running better than he did two weeks ago. This past week he was able to run some routes off to the side. But he was certainly not running them at 100 percent speed (nor should he be). This is a big year for Hankerson, who will be a free agent next offseason. The first thing he must do to get any sort of deal is prove he's healthy.

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 13m

ICYMI - A special day at #Redskins Park http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=18561  AND a good work day as @Redskins close OTA's http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=18571  #NFL

Here's a running list of what I saw during Wednesday's OTA session.

***We did not see DeAngelo Hall who left after Tuesday's practice to head back to Atlanta for some personal business. Apparently, he had some sort of cut on his chin according to Jay Gruden. I know that Hall was in Ashburn Monday and Tuesday, so this isn't some huge issue.

Barry Cofield did some early individual and unit drills, but nothing in team. Stephen Bowen continues to insist he will be ready for training camp.

Saw Ryan Clark with tight coverage to force an incomplete/partial drop by Jordan Reed.

I also liked Bashaud Breeland locked up on the line of scrimmage vs Jordan Reed split-out wide. Clearly, these routes were an emphasis today, and in the case of Clark, Riley and Breeland - the defense won those battles.

On one play, Jordan Reed got open past Keenan Robinson by a good margin as the Redskins used a initial play-action fake, with a DeSean Jackson reverse fake as well, and the ball was well overthrown.

ILB Akeem Jordan had a nice pass breakup on a bad under throw ball by Colt McCoy. His back was turned so just in right spot at right time.

Another Akeem, as in young safety Akeem Davis (who I like more and more every day) had terrific blanket coverage on a crosser towards the far sideline by Aldrick Robinson. Davis swatted the pass away. Robinson could not out-run him to gain seperation. I really see no way Robinson makes this team. Again, I would try and trade him for anything at this point. He hasn't been able to out-run Davis Wednesday and Breeland last week on a deep route. If he can't do that...then....?

Robinson also slipped out of his stance on one rep and went down fairly hard. He returned.

Looked like Kedric Golston, Chris Neild and Clifton Geathers were the # 2 defensive line unit. Chris Baker was at # 1 nose tackle, with Jenkins and Hatcher at defensive end.

DeSean Jackson had several big plays, but on one, he torched Brandon Meriweather badly. Ball was underthrown by Griffin but still complete.

Early in unit & position drills, Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden was shadowing DeSean Jackson who easily ran past him. Gruden's reaction? "S---" !

Jackson had a nice sideline out catch from Robert Griffin III, who enthusiastically clapped his hands and said "Nice catch D-Jack. That a boy."

The Redskins on Wednesday used Jackson on a lot of pre-snap motion and on quick screen/swint type routes.

The best play of the day was a double reverse fake, involving Jackson and I believe Aldrick Robinson. Meanwhile, Ryan Grant was wide open past rookie cornerback Blake Sailors for the long bomb completion. Right before this play, I said to one of my fellow media members that a play against Sailors shouldn't count, but this was way too good to leave out.

Thought Jason Hatcher would have had a sack on Griffin III as he beat LG Shawn Lauvao. Griffin 'escaped' the situation, and hooked up with Reed who had beaten Clark.

The defense was jumping a few times and was trying to really get off on the ball. Clearly pass rush and aggression is a mantra for Jim Haslett's guys and you will have to live with a few of these. I saw Clifton Geathers and Brian Orakpo jump.

On special teams -  Andre Roberts, Nick Williams, Rashad Ross, Chris Thompson, Lache Seastrunk all caught punts. Seastrunk tracked a ball that was kicked out-of-bounds after a very high hangtime. Seastrunk caught it on the run and ran through the media apologizing for running into our area. That showed me that he is courteous and also able to track a ball and catch a tough punt.

Very early in practice, I saw Helu make a tough, twisting catch along the sideline with no defense going against him. Nothing special, but this team needs to catch everything after the amount of drops last year.

I saw Ryan Kerrigan get the best of Tyler Polumbus on one rush in my eyes, but then Polumbus stoned EJ Biggers on a corner blitz.

When it's all said and done, I would expect Robert Malone to be the Redskins punter. He has shown consistent hang time and pretty good leg so far.

***I just love some of the coaching techniques that Jay Gruden's staff are using the last few weeks we have been allowed out to watch practice. Time and time again, I see something I have not seen in my five years covering the team. Running backs coach Randy Jordan and outside linebackers coach Brian Baker are particularly involved in these drills. Special Teams Coordinator Ben Kotwica has some different drills than I don't remember seeing as well. I like it. I like it a lot.

Running backs used a medicine ball on Wednesday, after playing shuttle catch low to the ground with a regulation football. Both designed to improve their hands and coordination. The running back screen game should be a huge part of the offense.

I've seen Brian Orakpo punching boxing mitts as we detailed last week to improve hand punch, placement and tackle attack.

Kotwica isn't doing anything super special, but just some different ball stripping drills, coverage drills and different methods. Kotwica is big on practicing sideline coverage of punt returns. Good, I like it.

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo 2m

Redskins still have high hopes for Bacarri Rambo http://wapo.st/1kSY8oo

This offseason, Washington signed 12-year veteran Ryan Clark to start at free safety alongside strong safety Brandon Meriweather. The Redskins also got five-year pro Tanard Jackson (another free safety) back from a two-year suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Rambo very much remains in Washington’s plans, however, Coach Jay Gruden said Wednesday.

Thus far, Rambo has spent the majority of the offseason practices behind Clark and ahead of Jackson on the free safety depth chart. A couple times this week, Jackson did work with the second team while Rambo worked with the third unit, though.

Gruden said defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and secondary coach Raheem Morris see growth in Rambo, and that his struggles as a rookie shouldn’t have come as a surprise because of the difficulties of the position.

“That’s going to happen for young guys. Certain guys handle things differently, but don’t expect a Pro Bowler by a rookie safety. It’s hard,” Gruden said. “Very few and far in between as far as that position goes. It’s a difficult position. There’s a lot of checks that happen from formation checks, checks in the coverage and all that good stuff in the front, all that, so it’s a very tough position to come in as a rookie or a young kid and play. It takes a year or two or three sometimes for those guys to pick up everything Coach Haslett wants him do or Raheem wants him to do. And the more reps he gets in these OTA sessions and training camp and preseason, you build on the experience every week and every year, it’s going to make him a better player but we have high hopes for him. He’s got great ball skills. He’s not afraid to tackle. He’s got to do a better job tackling. Obviously we missed too many tackles as group last year, not just him but everybody, so we think he is progressing nicely.”

It remains unclear exactly how much improvement Rambo has made, because offseason practices feature only non-contact drills. And last season throughout the offseason and training camp, coaches praised Rambo’s understanding of the game, only to see him struggle to make stops both in the preseason and regular season.

John Keim @john_keim 7m

Jay Gruden gave some interesting quotes to @DonBanks. So I analyzed them. #redskins http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/8296/analyzing-jay-grudens-comments 

One of the first things you notice when interviewing Jay Gruden is that he's honest. Or, at least, as honest as he can be. Not that I needed a reminder, but Don Banks' article on SI.com provided another example.

[...]The quote: "Personally my belief is the read-option is better as an element of surprise. If you're making it a major focal point of your offense -- though they had success with it -- that's problematic. You want to have some of it, no question, because it's the way to get the numbers back in your favor offensively. And with a quarterback like [Robert Griffin III], why wouldn't you have some of it?

"But we're trying to develop him as an all-around quarterback. And I don't know if they had that (as a goal). I'm sure they did a little bit, but I think that's the clear intent moving forward, to develop him as an all-around quarterback. That's part of his growth, from '12 to '13 to now.''

My take: It’s rare that a new coach will make any sort of comment about the previous coaching staff. Whether or not you agree with his take, it’s certainly one that can be interpreted as a dig. Nobody wants to be perceived as not trying to develop a guy. I’d say they felt Griffin was more raw as a passer coming out of college and this was the way to go. How much they would have developed him we’ll never know; I know what some of the plans were but that can be just talk. But the other part of this is that it will play well with Griffin who no doubt felt the same. He has to feel he has a coach on his side.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, the Redskins should keep the zone-read as part of the offense. However, I’ve always felt they should run it less and less as Griffin matures. If he becomes a more consistent passer, and improves his pocket presence and keeps extending plays, there will be much less reason to have him run more than a couple times a game. It definitely helped the passing game, but so too did the stretch zone play-action. Both created confusion for linebackers.

All I can say at this point is for any 'man-crush' or veteran or ES-proclaimed undercover superstar who is on the roster bubble.... consider it a good thing, it means we are moving forward with the better players. And for a 3-13 team, there are surely some better players out there who are showing themselves now.

Archived