Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Offseason/Mini Camp tweets (whatnot & glutton free) - 6/17/14

Michael Caussin @MCAUSSIN80 10h

Proud to say I'm the newest member of my hometown @Redskins HTTR!

Robert Griffin III @RGIII 2h

Headed to Richmond Baby!!!! Football is Back!!!!

John Keim @john_keim 2h

and from earlier. from film lab...What to expect: #Redskins WR DeSean Jackson, Part 1... Part 2 up around 9:30 am Wed http://es.pn/1o63NZv

Things I noticed while watching just about every pass attempt thrown to DeSean Jackson last season (and a few from 2012), not to mention a number of other plays in which he was on the field just to get a better sense of what the Redskins have. Part 2 will run Wednesday morning:

2. More often than not, Jackson worked himself open and therefore most incompletions were the result of a missed throw. That obviously wasn’t always the case, but it happened a lot. Jackson creates separation in part because corners must honor his deep speed so the comebacks and hitches work well. Saw him get wide open on throws in which he drives to the outside only to cut back in. Again, if a defender does not honor his routes he’ll break free.

4. Defensive backs, in general, played a yard or two deeper against him. Not every corner did that of course, but it happened more than against other wideouts. That’s one reason Jackson caught a lot of hitches and comebacks.

6. He’s tough to jam if you don’t have safety help. If you miss him without safety help, there’s a good chance a huge play will follow as the quarterback will automatically go his way – or at least should. Denver played him physical last year; the Broncos limited him to two catches for 34 yards. The Giants played him physical with safety help in the first game; he still had three catches for 20 yards or more including an underthrown 58-yard catch en route to seven catches for 132 yards. But that 58-yarder included no jam leading to an easy release and two-step advantage. Of the other two 20-plus catches, one included a jam and the other came against off-man coverage. He beat both to the inside. Two of the big plays occurred when Jackson was aligned outside the numbers; the third came from when he was inside in a bunch setting then ran a deep out. For what it’s worth, the Giants used more zone against the Eagles in the second meeting; Jackson’s longest catch out of eight receptions in that game was 13 yards.
  8. Dallas also was physical with Jackson. In two games against the Cowboys last season Jackson caught a combined six passes for 49 yards. In the first game, though, had quarterback Nick Foles done a better job of leading him to an area two big plays, including a touchdown, could have resulted. But overall Brandon Carr did a solid job against him when in man, showing the ability to be patient at the line and get his hands on him. Makes a difference.
  10. He ran bubbles, hitches, comebacks, screens, go routes and crosses. He ran routes from outside the numbers, the backfield and from the slot. He also went in motion. It made him tougher to re-route or jam all the time. And the Eagles did a good job with screens or picks. Did not see him run any slants last season, which perhaps is why the Saints didn’t fall for a slant-and-go in the playoffs. But they would line him up at times off the ball and let his quick feet go to work. He does a good job at the top of routes creating extra separation. Saw this a few times in 2012 when a corner (Cleveland’s Joe Haden) would have to honor a certain route only to have Jackson cut another way and get open by several yards.
  12. He gets open a lot. The system helped with how they used Jackson, but he also created separation on his own. And Jackson seemed to like getting inside releases against man coverage -- and could do so at times even when the corner had inside leverage (though not if they're patient). He was highly effective on crossing routes (as is Pierre Garcon, so take note). Jackson can run from guys, obviously, but Garcon is better at breaking tackles. And everyone talks about Jackson's acceleration: Saw it on one play vs. Kansas City when he was even with a defensive back after 9 yards, a half step ahead after 15 and three steps ahead by the time he caught a 40-yarder.
  14. He is not a good blocker. He would sometimes drift or not go as hard on routes in which he was not the primary target. The Eagles still ran the ball well with him, but that’s partly because of LeSean McCoy skills. Jackson will need to block better.

Criticism?? Lets clarify: he is self-centered & an egomaniac but he's also an immense talent with uber high intellect and an incredible work ethic. Hence, old squares like me and/or the media or whoever shouldn't get so bent out of shape when he does things like the "know your why" or the whole logo thing.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

So trying to be a positive role model and leader makes him self-centered and an egomaniac? 

I am all in for RG3 and want him to succeed as much as anyone.

I don't feel he is self centered or egotistical but do think he has a bit of a Messiah complex.

Did anyone see the Anacostia high school segment on Redskins Nation last night?

Don't get me wrong, it is a great thing he is doing. He just kind of came off as larger than life to me for some reason.

He also seemed he was genuine with everything he said.

After football I think he would make a great spiritual healer.

So trying to be a positive role model and leader makes him self-centered and an egomaniac? 

No, you and a host of others have done very well in pointing out flaws in my post and I see that now. 

1. "Egomaniac" was a poor choice of words when in fact, the only thing he's maniacal about is work. e.g. school, first one in and last one out at 'Skins park, etc.

2. The examples of the logo and "know your why" weren't anything I had a problem with, but they were the most recent instances of where his critics may have had something negative to say, which is why I brought it up. Again, poor examples. 

I must admit there were a few things that fueled my post. Santana Moss's quotes last year where he was very critical of RGIII's lack of humility and unwillingness to shoulder the blame for poor performance was eye opening and very disappointing to hear. When he asked teammates not to disclose how hurt he was in the Seattle game and then not once ever shoulder any blame for what happened after he tore the ACL was pretty weak, as well. I also feel like the "All in for week one" campaign and the "operation patience" t-shirts that followed were more about him getting back on to the field regardless if it were best for the team or not, but I agree those are just my opinions and can not be substantiated.  

However, since his benching last season, he has done nothing that warrants terms like "egomaniac" or "self-centered". I stand corrected and I got my big spoon ready for this gigantic bowl of crow I'm about to eat.

Because they realized that RG3's egotisticalness and self centered attitude are air borne diseases in which both Jay and Kerrigan caught. It sucks. It is a sickness that is going to bring down the team.

We will never ever win with a proud QB that tries to lead by example both on and off the field. Another Redskins curse I guess.

sarcasm_meter.gif

Seriously there are some that can't handle having a personality at QB. 

Archived