Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DN: Michigan House votes to criminalize necrophilia with passage of 'Melody's Law'

China

Michigan House votes to criminalize necrophilia with passage of 'Melody's Law'

The Michigan House voted unanimously Thursday to explicitly prohibit necrophilia, or sexual activity with a dead body, through a trio of bills called "Melody's Law."

The bills, which passed through the Senate last month and are headed to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's desk next, were introduced in the wake of the 2021 murder and assault of 64-year-old Melody Rohrer in Van Buren County. Rohrer's husband, Richard Rohrer, was in the House gallery as the lower chamber voted Thursday on the bills.

Richard Rohrer drove in an RV from Florida when the bills first came up for a hearing in a Senate committee in May and has stayed in Michigan since, waiting on the final passage of the bills through the House.

"Melody Rohrer truly represented what was good in this world," Richard Rohrer told lawmakers Wednesday during a House Judiciary Committee hearing. "My perfect world with the love of my life was destroyed on Dec. 20, 2021, when pure evil, Colby Martin, decided to murder Melody for his own crude sexual desires."

Authorities said Martin, who was eventually convicted of first-degree murder last year, hit Melody Rohrer with his truck while she was out for a walk, put her body in the vehicle and later sexually assaulted her corpse. Her body was left in a wooded area in St. Joseph County in southwest Michigan.

Martin told police he hit Melody Rohrer and left her body in St. Joseph County, but denied engaging in sexual acts. His attorney said the collision was an accident.

Prosecutors were unable to charge Martin with a sexual assault crime because Melody Rohrer was believed to have been dead at the time and there were no laws covering that type of offense, Richard Rohrer said.

Click on the link for the full article

Big Government trying to regulate our bedrooms, again.  

(Seriously, so many things I marvel about here.  They're passing three laws, to criminalize this?)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If there was literally one thing that shouldn’t need a law. Sheesh. 

*sigh, I accepted a long time ago many of these crazy ass rules we have is because somebody actually did it...

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

*sigh, I accepted a long time ago many of these crazy ass rules we have is because somebody actually did it...

Kind of how I feel about those silica gel packets that come in boxes with electronics, for absorbing moisture.  The ones that say "Don't eat this." Only one reason that warning is on there.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

**** that. I don’t want a law about not ****ing dead people named after me.

This was literally the first thought that popped Into my head when I read melodys law.

There has to be a better name for it.