Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Everyone can have their skepticism and paranoia related to his physique and let that dictate their fandom if they want to.

Personally, it been too long since we’ve truly had an organization worth rooting for.  I’m going to marinate in the fluff and feel really good about the kid loving football and the impact that could have on this team.  Whatever happens, happens - but I’m going to do my best to be a fan about it, until it’s obvious I shouldn’t be.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Everyone can have their skepticism and paranoia related to his physique and let that dictate their fandom if they want to.

Personally, it been too long since we’ve truly had an organization worth rooting for.  I’m going to marinate in the fluff and feel really good about the kid loving football and the impact that could have on this team.  Whatever happens, happens - but I’m going to do my best to be a fan about it, until it’s obvious I shouldn’t be.

We all want him to succeed. That is why we want to make sure if he doesn't already know how to take care of his body, this coaching staff takes seriously the need to do so in this offseason so that he can be as successful (and healthy) as he can be. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

We all want him to succeed. That is why we want to make sure if he doesn't already know how to take care of his body, this coaching staff takes seriously the need to do so in this offseason so that he can be as successful (and healthy) as he can be. 

I had my reservations prior to drafting him as did a lot of us here.  My only point is no matter what those might be, I’m going to try and not obsess over it and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 3

Not sure if this has been posted. I'm thinking about also posting it in the coaching thread just for Kingsbury's straw hat. In any case, like everyone else has been saying, Jayden's feet and release  are soooooo good. Even When I was pining for Maye, that release had my eye. Compact and perfect and the same every time. It also looks like such a beautiful catchable ball. Terry et al are going to see some gorgeous deep balls this year. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

They didn’t put DQ in that shirt and get him in front of media for no reason. It’s at minimum a trial balloon.

Maybe. But if we’re being honest, the “at a minimum” option is actually: “at a minimum his wife maybe saw the shirt online and bought it for him and he thought it was cool and doesn’t give a ****” lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

we want to make sure if he doesn't already know how to take care of his body, this coaching staff takes seriously the need to do so in this offseason so that he can be as successful (and healthy) as he can be. 

? how do you propose that “we” do that? I guess I could start the ball rolling by getting him a

complimentary consultation at Planet Fitness 

• Like 1

Just now, stoshuaj said:

? how do you propose that “we” do that? I guess I could start the ball rolling by getting him a

Well we do have one of the best training staffs in the league. Seems like a solid start to me.

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Well we do have one of the best training staffs in the league. Seems like a solid start to me.

I read that as “we” the fans need to make sure……that the coaching staff takes seriously 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

I know you're trying to be cute  - by "we", I mean the team. And there are ways they can teach him how to protect himself better. 

I agree that undergoing an NFL weight training program is going to be a key part of that. But I assume that will happen regardless.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get where you're coming from, but it's much to early to be certain that this is "an organization worth rooting for". Compared to the previous owner/front office, sure....but after so many seasons of ****.... I'll believe it when I see it.

Drafting a Slenderman running QB with the 2nd overall pick is about the worst thing that a new Front office could do, in my opinion.

The fluff about his work ethic and loving football is the same exact **** that the media spewed about bobart 3.

The OL is still pretty ****, and the defense is gutted.

I don't think the roster is league worst, but it's gotta be bottom third. Definitely a couple of seasons away from being competitive, thanks to Ron.

May as well hope for the best, but this feels real familiar. I really wish they'd kept Howell. Marcus Mariota is gonna be really dull to watch after Jayden has his leg broken in week 4.

I'm envious of your optimism. Truly hope that it pays off.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 3

8 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I still wish we had held onto Howell and his first contract salary cap hit or Brissett if the vet was required.

I felt this way initially. 

But after having some time to digest it all, Mariota is the perfect choice. 

This way there is zero chance any fans clamor for the backup to get in the game…

Id challenge you to find a single skins fan that wants to see MM start or play. Ill wait 😂

Howell is a good dude, landed in a good spot and has a great chance to make some noise up there with the sea chickens. He’ll either beat Geno in camp, or get in the game when Geno gets banged up, which he has a habit of. That happens Geno could get wally pipped. 

The right move for the commanders was to either commit to him or move on and fully commit to the new guy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Conn said:

Maybe. But if we’re being honest, the “at a minimum” option is actually: “at a minimum his wife maybe saw the shirt online and bought it for him and he thought it was cool and doesn’t give a ****” lol

Maybe you're right!

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I get where you're coming from, but it's much to early to be certain that this is "an organization worth rooting for". Compared to the previous owner/front office, sure....but after so many seasons of ****.... I'll believe it when I see it.

Not addressed to me but my 2 cents on it.

Many of us, I know BFS in particular have been pinning forever for a real FO structure like other teams have.  Where the FO is in control.  Check.  We've also been jealous about other teams at least trying to hire the best of the best type GMs -- it doesn't guarantee success of course but it does help.  Check again.

Both are sea changes.  Even if it fails the process has changed 180.  So if it fails they likely will try to do the same thing again until it succeeds.  That's what winning organizations do.  At a minimum we are 100% on the right path.

We'd hire mediocre to bad plumbers to do the electric work in the house.  Weird.  And dysfunctional.  Now we are researching it and hiring the best electrician we can find reputation wise and letting them do their job.  It's been what many of us wanted forever.  It's what winning organizations do.  It's what this organization never even remotely did in the past under Dan. 

We had a system that screamed would fail.  Now that's turned completely on its head.  Reading that article for example about how the owners didn't even know what QB they were picking until draft day - is insane in a good way.  Tide has changed.   

We all know that Peters will get some wrong for sure.  And it will happen soon.  No one hits on most of their draft or for that matter even most of their FA signings.  It's impossible.  Some other team will do better in this round or that round.  It always hapens.  But if we get a lot right, we have a shot.

Drafting a Slenderman running QB with the 2nd overall pick is about the worst thing that a new Front office could do, in my opinion.

I was a Maye over Daniels guy on the QB thread.  but I was also into Daniels, too.  The one thing though that became VERY clear to me in this process.  Is that scouts-coaches, a large majority in the league of them prefered Daniels over Maye, some not even thinking its close.   

Even PFF who was the Maye cheerleader camp in the process thought it was Maye a hair over Daniels but it was super close.  It was really the QB thead where it was Maye over Daniels by a mile, but that thought was hard to find elsewhere.  It was closer to the reverse.

Maybe we on this thread are smarter about these QBs then Kyle Shahanan and the slew of FOs in the NFL who saw it differently including ours.  Will see.  It should be interesting. No doubt that there is a crap shot element to the process.  I admit its easier for me to see this because I wasn't one of the Maye people who thought it was crazy for anyone to prefer Daniels. 

I could see the logic in my own mind for Daniels.   But the crap shoot also applies to all of us, I can think of some of the more vocal anti-Daniels posts were made by some who I know have been been big time wrong about other QBs here.  We all have. 

But going back to my point about hiring a top GM and trusting them.  My personal take is for me to just trust it at least until it unfolds.  Heck the last time we heard the theme of scouts agree on a point relating to this team was about Haskins (RIP).  Our scouts weren't high on Haskins, nor was the NFL -- he was the darling of mock drafters.  Haskins ironically felt better received by the board though than Daniels. So our scouts among others agreeing on Daniels makes me feel better.  Agree its still a crap shoot but typically less of a crap shoot when you are picking in a stacked draft for QB at #2.

The fluff about his work ethic and loving football is the same exact **** that the media spewed about bobart 3.

RG3 had the ego for wanting to be great no doubt.  But it did filter out in his career that RG3 was a workout fiend who didn't like to study tape.   lol, if anything its the opposite with Daniels.  Not that he doesn't workout but he clearly needs to do so even more.  But waking up at 5 am and dragging his WRs to watching the opposing defense wasn't a narrative I ever recall about RG3.

RG3 though as we know had a Shakesperian arc.  Killer good in 2012.  But came into the NFL with a serious college injury.  And then reaggravated it.  And then reaggarvated it again and then again until he broke.  At a minimum the starting point for Daniels is different.   He's a more polished college passer than RG3 ever was.  And he's not coming to the NFL with a prior torn knee.   And even if he were, no way a team does what they did with RG3 again.  The coaches IMO were complicit with all of that and the owner too.  It was a perfect storm.

OL looks better than last year but agree its the weak point.  Defense IMO looks borderline stacked, I'd be surprised if it isn't top 10.  Quinn took a bad Dallas defense and made it top 10 in his first year.  I am betting on the same, will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I don't think the roster is league worst, but it's gotta be bottom third. Definitely a couple of seasons away from being competitive, thanks to Ron.

May as well hope for the best, but this feels real familiar. I really wish they'd kept Howell. Marcus Mariota is gonna be really dull to watch after Jayden has his leg broken in week 4.

At the end of the day, all you can ask for is that things be done the right way.  We have good people in places at all levels.  Betting on failure in the NFL is easy, even talented GM’s and players that do things the right way fall short. This is a rebuild in every sense of the word.  It’s not going to happen overnight.  Maybe it never happens.  But coming from where we’ve come from, I’d suggest everyone embrace the changes and go back to being fans again.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Honestly I meant it when I answered CITR's poll question about preferring Maye but supporting Daniels if he's the chosen QB at #2. And the more I see him move, see his quick smooth release and tight spiral, the more I am comfortable we chose correctly. My biggest hang-up was his build. Specifically having spindly legs. But his off-season weight room dedication is obvious. He's put on significant mass in his legs and to me, it's no longer an issue. I am very excited to see JD being able to start working on day one with routes and timing with his receivers, and not to have to waste the time working on his foot-work. He looks very polished from the jump.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Early optimism for me about Daniels

A, Logan Paulsen who said he liked what he saw from Daniels as to his delivery and release on tape -- he was blown away by how it looked in person, even more impressed.  He gushed about it.

B.  Some who have stood up closer to him ala JP Finlay saying he's not as thin looking as expected

C. The level of enthusiasm that has seeped out in recent weeks about how Peters dug him makes me feel better.  Like Peters or not like him, he's a workaholic fanatic.  That is, he's researched these QBs to death.  I know a reporter who knows Peters said he's been working nonstop since he arrived and has barely seen his family.

D.  Comes off super mature in interviews.  As for the RG3 comps that some have -- they couldn't be more different dudes both as to rhetoric and their reputaton.  Ryan Clark said among all the NFL and college players he has been around his career -- Jayden is the humblist he's ever been around. 

E.  Excitement level.  Am not backing off of Maye.  I still think he will be very good.  But no doubt that Daniels is the QB with much more buzz.  This team has been irrelevant nationally.  We can't get SNF games, heck we can't even get MNF games anymore.  We are a punchline for NFL irrelevance.   You see all the cameras at Friday's practice and the national stories -- feels cool to be relevant for a change.  My teenager son is hyped for the son for a change.  We got some national repoters talking about some of this teams matchups as must see TV because of Daniels.  

F.  I am unsure about Kingsbury as an O coordinator.  But as a dude evaluating QBs, I trust him on that front.  Same dude who helped discover Mahomes.  Same dude who wanted to dump Josh Rosen after season 1 before it was cool to do so and replace him with Murray among other things.  

Granted they have to win.  It needs to work out.  But I am trying to enjoy the process before it all unfolds.  Am far from a buy in all the time kind of guy.  I didn't like Jay after season 1.  Ditto Zorn.  I was good with Shanny and Rivera at the time because it felt like a new beginning but turned on both as their regime unfolded.  I wasn't part of the Heinicke Hive, closer to a critic.  One of the loudest critics of Haskins before the draft.  I've swung both ways as for optimism and pessimism.  But now with the Evil Empire gone in Dan and a new regime and easily the most hyped QB prospect we've had since 2012 -- I am having fun with this for now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think early training camp is likely not the best indicator.

But from my goings to camp, you can see a lot.

A.  Haskins (RIP) erratic accuracy

B. Henicke's erratic accuracy and lack of arm strength

C.  Fitz's erratic accuracy

D.  Kirk's consistent accuracy

E.  Colt's touted "new" found arm strength was BS

F.  Sudfeld struggled big time -- Jay was always on his case.

I've learned some of my more muted observations can have signfigance later on.  One of them was Bieineimy's offense actually looked vanilla compared to others I saw in camp.  One of my takeaways and said it in a light way after watching practice, that wasn't anything that interesting looking compared to some other practices I watched. 

This stuff is super easy to see for anyone IMO if we watch a couple of hours of practice especially if you do it multiple days in a row.    My point is even though training camp this year is smack during a busy work period for me, am very tempted to go watch.   Also if you've seen years of different camps its easier to do apples to apples. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

First, a quick Sunday morning ESPN coffee break analysis of the rookie mini-camps  of four of the first five qbs, taken off the board, excluding only Drake Maye.

(NOTE: There's a separate video of Maye's very, very, interesting rookie mini-camp experience, posted below this one, that I highly recommend.

In fact, if you only have enough time to watch one of the two, the Drake Maye mini-camp video is definitely  worth watching most.)

Now on to Drake Maye's fascinating minicamp experience.

In a very illuminating video of the Patriots rookie mini-camp they were amazed with the howitzer-like arm and surprising accuracy of late round qb Milton who has literally become the talk of camp, while  third overall pick, Drake Maye, clearly struggled and was described as a bit "robotic", somewhat "inaccurate", and in "need of a lot of work" especially with his feet, in his professional debut...

As we all know, early impressions good or bad in shorts and tee shirts with no pads just ain't football and mean next to nothing in the long run.

However, there's something comforting, all the same, when your newly acquired rookie qb has a promising start to his career, while the quarterback selected one pick after him is struggling mightily.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

Snyder turned a once proud organization and team into a laughing stock and an organization that many hated.  As soon as his nightmare tenure ended it was like a very dark cloud had lifted.  There's been a return to normalcy that I can't take for granted, because it's been 20+ years in the making.  We appear to now have excellent ownership, front office personnel, and coaches.  We'll see about the product on the field over the next few years, but there are multiple reasons to be optimistic about the teams future whether the right QB was drafted or not.

But wouldn't it be fun if Jayden Daniels turns out to be that dude?  I truly love where the organization and team are at now compared to where each was last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

First, a quick Sunday morning ESPN coffee break analysis of the rookie mini-camps  of four of the first five qbs, taken off the board, excluding only Drake Maye.

(NOTE: There's a separate video of Maye's very, very, interesting rookie mini-camp experience posted below this one that I highly recommend)

In a very illuminating video of the Patriots rookie mini-camp they were amazed with the howitzer-like arm and surprising accuracy of one new qb who has literally become the talk of camp, while another rookie signal caller clearly struggled and was described as a bit robotic, somewhat inaccurate, and in need of a lot of work especially with his feet, in his debut...

Watched it, thanks.

After Rattler, Milton would have been the guy who intrigued me as a mid-later round QB.  The dude is toolsy and on that front 10 out of 10.

As for Drake Maye, I liked him a lot but do not seem him as a slam dunk.

My 2 concerns about Drake.

A.  Inconsistent footwork -- inconsistent accuracy.  I think he can work through it.   But if he doesn't I wouldn't rule out a Carson Wentz type of ride.  Wentz never worked through his inconsistencies.

B.  Not rising in big moments.  Not Mr. Clutch in college.  I earlier in the process dismissed it.  But watching his interviews, many of them, he comes off a bt of a jittery guy.  Nice guy but a lot of nervous energy.  Reminds me some of early Kirk.  And while I like Kirk more than most, he never really became a big game-big moment guy. 

I liked Maye over Daniels because of his size, arm strength and ability to layer throws.

But to me it was close.  I liked Daniels mechanics better, quicker release, decision making and general consistency.

As a pure passer (durability aside), Daniels IMO has the higher floor than Maye.  

I think the tweet below is a little unfair.  Daniels started a hair ahead of Maye so that helped.  But the comparisons in general should be fascinating.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched it, thanks.

After Rattler, Milton would have been the guy who intrigued me as a mid-later round QB.  The dude is toolsy and on that front 10 out of 10.

As for Drake Maye, I liked him a lot but do not seem him as a slam dunk.

My 2 concerns about Drake.

A.  Inconsistent footwork -- inconsistent accuracy.  I think he can work through it.   But if he doesn't I wouldn't rule out a Carson Wentz type of ride.  Wentz never worked through his inconsistencies.

B.  Not rising in big moments.  Not Mr. Clutch in college.  I earlier in the process dismissed it.  But watching his interviews, many of them, he comes off a bt of a jittery guy.  Nice guy but a lot of nervous energy.  Reminds me some of early Kirk.  And while I like Kirk more than most, he never really became a big game-big moment guy. 

I liked Maye over Daniels because of his size, arm strength and ability to layer throws.

But to me it was close.  I liked Daniels mechanics better, quicker release, decision making and general consistency.

As a pure passer (durability aside), Daniels IMO has the higher floor than Maye.  

I think the tweet below is a little unfair.  Daniels started a hair ahead of Maye so that helped.  But the comparisons in general should be fascinating.

Daniels definitely has a tighter and quicker throwing motion (which I said during the draft process as well); it's very pretty.

That said, that first tweet is pretty disingenuous. Daniels was almost halfway into his throwing motion when Maye initially started his. It's already clear that Jayden's mechanics are better, no reason to try and manipulated it to make it look worse.

• Like 3

The difference in narrative between daniels at our camp and maye in Foxboro has been a little eye opening. 

Can you imagine If Sam hartman was getting more love from the media and our fans than jayden was.

I knew jayden was widely considered to be more pro ready than maye but if I knew it was this big of a gap I think I'd have been in camp daniels.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Daniels definitely has a tighter and quicker throwing motion (which I said during the draft process as well); it's very pretty.

That said, that first tweet is pretty disingenuous. Daniels was almost halfway into his throwing motion when Maye initially started his. It's already clear that Jayden's mechanics are better, no reason to try and manipulated it to make it look worse.

Agree and said so as for that clip. 

My point was lol we are going to get those comps for years I gather.  Especially in this case where the narraitves seem clear that Peters was smitten with Daniels and I gather not so much Maye considering he had McCarthy ahead of him.

Back to Maye, I think it simply might take time with him.  He's going to be 22 this season. 

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The difference in narrative between daniels at our camp and maye in Foxboro has been a little eye opening. 

Can you imagine If Sam hartman was getting more love from the media and our fans than jayden was.

I knew jayden was widely considered to be more pro ready than maye but if I knew it was this big of a gap I think I'd have been in camp daniels.

Actually speaking of Hartman, Keim referenced him staying hours after practice to work on things.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Actually speaking of Hartman, Keim referenced him staying hours after practice to work on things.  

Yeah but nobody is talking about him being ahead of daniels or being more accurate or having a stronger arm.

Just seems crazy that they aren't squashing this and I'm starting to get happier that we have a guy that is absolutely no doubt head and shoulders better than everybody else in the room and no talk of insurance in the form of a 6th round pick or in our case a priority udfa which is not far off from a 6th round pick.

• Like 2