Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Defense heavy draft is quite surprising IMO.

Considering our defense gave up 389 yards per game last season (worst in the NFL), it's not surprising that free agency and the draft have had a heavy defensive focus. 

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Defense heavy draft is quite surprising IMO

Got to think we see a couple of offensive moves post draft…..

Definitely. The final phases could be interesting. Post draft moves can top off the last couple of pieces of this extra large pizza 🍕

• Like 2

So, that's a wrap on the Commanders' draft.

My impressions are:

• Athletic ability and attitude were the main drivers for GMAP, more than polish or being ready for Week 1 (JD might be the exception).
  • He has a lot of faith in the coaching staff to make these guys into NFL contributors.
  • There is a LOT of talent in this year's crop, but some of it needs heavy nurturing.
  • The defense is taking shape, but I find the offense still a mystery.
  • Peters has a lot of work still to do just to field a full 11 starters on offense. UDFAs and the waiver wire are going to be critical.
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Defense heavy draft is quite surprising IMO

Got to think we see a couple of offensive moves post draft…..

Yeah but our 4 offensive players were taken with our first 6 picks in the first three rounds.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, profusion said:

My impressions are:

• Athletic ability and attitude were the main drivers for GMAP, more than polish or being ready for Week 1 (JD might be the exception).
  • He has a lot of faith in the coaching staff to make these guys into NFL contributors.
  • There is a LOT of talent in this year's crop, but some of it needs heavy nurturing.
  • The defense is taking shape, but I find the offense still a mystery.
  • Peters has a lot of work still to do just to field a full 11 starters on offense. UDFAs and the waiver wire are going to be critical.

-Being a team captain is the new military background

-They seem to like prospects with versatility and have logged time at multiple positions

-Peters seems adapt at calling the correct people

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Draft to long anyways.  I can see the NFL getting rid of round 7 and maybe even round 6; as a compromise to get to an 18 game season.

If the league wants the NFLPA to agree to an 18-game schedule, they might have to expand the rosters. That would theoretically lead back to expanded draft. It used to be 13 rounds, if I recall correctly. They don't have to televise all of it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

The Three best things a rookie QB can have?

1. A solid LT
  2. a clutch TE / PosessioN WR
  3. a Defense that gets the ball back for them.

Everyone is mysteriously waiting for the LT too. 

That offense won't look the same after they get their LT. Play Action will help if they are at least complimentary with the run game...nobody wants to see a day 2 rookie at LT with a rookie #2 pick. 

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

We also have Mathis for what he's worth.....???

He just hasn't been available and I'm not sure about his value because I'm not sure he's been coached well. Maybe he was over-drafted like most of those RR picks.  

• Like 1

I'm not gonna grade the draft, but there's nobody that I'm particularly enthused about seeing outside of Daniels.  I was hoping for another starter somewhere, but I don't really forsee that.  But we'll see.  

39 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Get these Bills off the stage and announce the dang pick

That pre-pick announcement stuff is painful.  Guys getting the mic and going into business for themselves.  I even wanted Darrell to shut up and get on with the pick.  lol  Get up there announce the pick, get on to the next one.  

I think the DT Pick would be a starter if not for who is in front of him.  Sinnot may not be a starter initially but could end up as one if he shows growth early over urtz.

Depends on how much 2 TE they run too.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm not gonna grade the draft, but there's nobody that I'm particularly enthused about seeing outside of Daniels.  I was hoping for another starter somewhere, but I don't really forsee that.  But we'll see.  

Interesting. I’m really excited about Sinnott and Sainristil. They were some of my favorite players but since we had Quan I didn’t think we were going Slot CB. And I wasn’t sure Sinnott was a fit in the offense, even though he reminded me of Chris Cooley, and had truly ridiculous combine numbers combined with some nice production.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Veretax said:

I think the DT Pick would be a starter if not for who is in front of him.  Sinnot may not be a starter initially but could end up as one if he shows growth early over urtz.

Depends on how much 2 TE they run too.

TE rotation will be interesting. I think Bates is a solid player and will contribute. Other guys will have to stand out in a big way to male the team.

32 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Considering our defense gave up 389 yards per game last season (worst in the NFL), it's not surprising that free agency and the draft have had a heavy defensive focus. 

Unfortunately our offensive rankings weren’t all that great either.  

I'm very happy with this draft! First, we secured our QB of the future, even is not everyone may agree, I believe it was a really good pick. Then, we surprised everyone by choosing the best player available—a defensive tackle who is truly a beast. Mike Sainristil, the best slot corner in the draft, really stands out. We also picked McCaffrey as a wide receiver, who could potentially be our next Jameson Crowder, so that’s promising. Ben Sinnott, likely a starter for us next year at tight end, was another strong pick. Overall, it was a great draft, and even those last picks were solid.

Sure, we still have work to do on the offensive line. Yes, our line is still underperforming, but we can’t solve all our issues in one draft. It’s not feasible, and we don’t want an entire line of rookies—that would be setting them up to fail. So, maybe we’ll add one or two more free agents. We’ll roll with this setup and do the best we can this year, aiming for significantly improved line play next year

All things considered, I'm very pleased!

😊

Edited by Partag
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 1