Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OJ Simpson dead at 76

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Paging Fred Goldman.... (he's still alive).  

Is it any easier for the Goldmans to get their money now, from his assets, through the court system ?

Or is it still "protected" ?

Also, just realized it's interesting, it's been almost exactly 30 years, almost to the day.

Before looking it up to verify, I feel like the arrest happened around April of 1994

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyway, I remember my family took a vacation to SC.  One night on the way back from dinner out in Charleston, I fell asleep in the back of the car we'd rented, but woke up to hear on the radio that OJ Simpson's wife was found murdered.  

Later that week, watching the Knicks/Rockets play in the finals, they interrupted the game for the Bronco chase.  That whole week was so wild.

It all happened my last week of freshman year. I remember the story breaking during finals. In particular the day of gym/health class. 

The Bronco "chase" happened on the last day of school. Was practicing the Rage Against the Machine in a band I was in that afternoon. It started as practice was wrapping up n I got home just in time to see AC pull into the Brentwood house driveway. 

The trial pretty much dominated the news when I was in high school. Hell Kato Kaelin replaced my English teacher in the middle of my sophomore year. 🤪

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Also, just realized it's interesting, it's been almost exactly 30 years, almost to the day.

Before looking it up to verify, I feel like the arrest happened around April of 1994

June 94 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

OJ, Aaron Hernandez, Junior Seau and Mike Webster are the Mount Rushmore of CTE.  I really hope they get to scan his brain. 

90% of the 300 or so brains studied of former NFL players had CTE.  Yes, it was biased towards people with symptoms.  But only 1 out of 152 brains scanned from everyday life had CTE. 

Shhhhh.... "big football" wants us to ignore this.  

• Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

OJ, Aaron Hernandez, Junior Seau and Mike Webster are the Mount Rushmore of CTE.  I really hope they get to scan his brain. 

22 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

90% of the 300 or so brains studied of former NFL players had CTE.  Yes, it was biased towards people with symptoms.  But only 1 out of 152 brains scanned from everyday life had CTE. 

The only issue with including OJ in this group is he had a history of violence long before he was in the NFL.  Growing up in a tough section of San Francisco and was in a street gang as a teen and - as he himself said - he was violent back then, getting into a lot of fights. 

So CTE wasn't the reason for slaughtering two innocent people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was at work and it was a really small company with three of us in the main office. We gathered in the boss' office and watched the TV. It was unreal, the verdict. Still shocking to this day. I feel for his victims and his children. The civil trial found him guilty.

• Thumb up 2

I was in 8th grade, in they gym. The gym teacher rolled out the TV for it. For you youngin's TVs used to be on these cart things 🙂:

TV-cart.jpg

The whole thing (the trial and everything surrounding it) was surreal.

Not sure what could grab the whole nation's attention like that ever again - outside of a 9/11 scale/type event.

The chase

The glove

The dancing Itos

T6FwvW.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I had just started working for a software company in Atlanta (King & Queen towers) in March. We were at a restaurant for lunch when the verdict was announced. The place was packed with people & the reactions were amazing: disbelief, anger, cheers, high fives. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Was CTE the cause?

Wrong question.

How much of a factor can be examined by the extent of the CTE he was going through.

At this point, have to ask if nearly every football player has some level of CTE before they retire, what is the connection to the extent in an individual player and violent actions, such as murder or suicide?

My understanding was the level of CTE in Hernandez and Seau were horrendous.  At that point to me its not about is CTE the cause, more like what's to be expected when it's that bad combined with what they did for a living? 

Add in Hernandez background it was a recipient for disaster, perfect storm.  Is that the case with OJ?  Let's look at his brain and then talk about it.  I don't want to blow off CTE anymore then I want to jump right into it, it's somewhere in the middle and more we understand that more hinest conversation can be about...man, hate to say this, potentially seeing these storms coming.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The way story was told to me (as I was too young when it happened to get it) was everyone knew he was guilty...

The question was whether he was going to be the first black man clearly guilty and got off Scott free in our criminal justice system.

White people be beating the system all the time, why this first was bittersweet and not just another failure.

As I got older and saw him go to jail for something else kinda realized how much an asshole he really was.  But that moment was still an assbackwards leap forward in equality where finally if you have the resources you can beat the system, too, no matter what color you are.

I'm pretty sure his wife's family doesn't want to hear that ****, I know I wouldn't.

I wish there was another way for Los Angeles to exposed for the racist cesspit that it is, but unfortunately it often takes a tragedy for things like that to come to light. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The way story was told to me (as I was too young when it happened to get it) was everyone knew he was guilty...

The question was whether he was going to be the first black man clearly guilty and got off Scott free in our criminal justice system.

White people be beating the system all the time, why this first was bittersweet and not just another failure.

As I got older and saw him go to jail for something else kinda realized how much an asshole he really was.  But that moment was still an assbackwards leap forward in equality where finally if you have the resources you can beat the system, too, no matter what color you are.

I'm pretty sure his wife's family doesn't want to hear that ****, I know I wouldn't.

Yeah, from what I remember this is extremely accurate.

Timing played into it as well, as the scars from the Rodney King riots were still visible (not just talking physically)...

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

The only issue with including OJ in this group is he had a history of violence long before he was in the NFL.  Growing up in a tough section of San Francisco and was in a street gang as a teen and - as he himself said - he was violent back then, getting into a lot of fights. 

So CTE wasn't the reason for slaughtering two innocent people.

The domestic violence (IMO) would have made it impossible to meet the California standards for an insanity defense even for his legal team

1 hour ago, balki1867 said:

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I looked a few weeks ago and was surprised we don't have a CTE thread. It's a broad and potentially interesting. I just don't want to do it.

I had a talk with my mom a bit ago discussing my "condition". I shared this with her. I'm on TBI #4, 2 were 'severe' 😂  

severe_TBI_five-year_outcomes.png

*From government study

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

How many of those 90 percent killed someone…

51 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Add in Hernandez background it was a recipient for disaster, perfect storm.  Is that the case with OJ?  Let's look at his brain and then talk about it.  I don't want to blow off CTE anymore then I want to jump right into it, it's somewhere in the middle and more we understand that more hinest conversation can be about...man, hate to say this, potentially seeing these storms coming.

Just for everyone's clarity here (since I brought up CTE in this thread).  I actually don't care about CTE when it's comes to causality.  If he murdered , then he murdered and his victims deserve justice.  I care more because it's another proof point of how awful the NFL was with the entire issue.  

Two of Hernandez' murders happened because a guy spilled a drink on him at a club, so Hernandez followed them home and shot at their car.  Even in the worst-case scenario, that should've been a bar fight, a night in jail, a fine, some community service and probation.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Also since so many people are reminiscing about the Bronco chase in June 1994, I highly recommend you watch the ESPN documentary “June 17” (if you haven’t already seen it).

It’s about the sports world that day— the US Open golf tournament, opening day of the World Cup in the US, the oj chase, knicks-rockets in the NBA finals, and the rangers Stanley cup parade in New York.

the best part is there’s little to no narration in the documentary. It’s just random tv clips as if you’re changing channels on tv, which is how most of us remember that evening.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, balki1867 said:

Just my opinion but I don't think CTE had anything to do with it. He was very calculated and very good at crafting a persona tailor made for the West L.A "aristocracy"  his fits of violent rage were reserved for Nicole. Narcissistic personality disorder would be my somewhat educated guess. He was an extremely insecure person which most likely would have made him very vulnerable to what fame can do to the mind, and there are varying degrees of narcissism so his could have escalated as a result of becoming famous. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This was why many of us POC were just like meh.🤷‍♂️ It was basically a do over after the Rodney King verdict. Welcome to our world.

• Like 3