Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP Part of Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after large boat collision, sending vehicles into water

Destino

5 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't see a ton of conspiracy theories on Twitter regarding this.

I do see a ton of ****ing racism.

I think I would prefer that instead of new dog whistles like DEI if these people just went back to using the N-word. It's what they want. It would end the "oooooh....what is he really saying" debate. 

Oh there are a bunch of idiotic conspiracies out there. 

- "It was a terror attack." But the ship sent out a Mayday.  "That was just a cover.  They weren't trying to kill people, just disrupt the supply chain." 

- Another one involves Angela Chao, sister of Elaine Chao and sister-in-law of Mitch McConnell, who died in a Tesla accident recently.

"She was CEO of the Foremost Group, company that owns the container ship."  No, her company was Synergy Marine Group.

"She was killed in a mysterious accident 6 days ago to cover something up." It was 6 weeks ago

"There are no coincidence."  Um, yes there are.

This gave me a chuckle:

GJsgVLHXIAAJoEn?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

"She was killed in a mysterious accident 6 days ago to cover something up." It was 6 weeks ago

I read that she got drunk out of her mind at a party at her ranch and reversed her Tesla into a pond where she drowned.

FSD (Full Self Drowning) was enabled.

• Haha 2

CNN is saying the ship had severe electrical problems for days prior to the crash. That’s the sort of claim that turns accident to negligence in a hurry. 

related note, my impression of ocean shipping in general has long been that they’re poorly maintained rusted tubs held together largely by inadequate improvised repairs done by the haunted nomadic crew drawn to this sort of occupation. It’s possible I read too much fiction. lol

• Haha 1

****ing idiot EB on the Junkies this morning pushed that it wasn't an accident and that it's some sort of conspiracy.

Like WTF that dude has too big of a platform to be doing that bull****.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

CNN is saying the ship had severe electrical problems for days prior to the crash. That’s the sort of claim that turns accident to negligence in a hurry. 

This is exactly what I was referring to the other day…

too early to jump to conclusions but it will be interesting if it turns out they had problems and headed to the. Ridge anyways…

Edited by tshile

15 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't see a ton of conspiracy theories on Twitter regarding this.

I do see a ton of ****ing racism.

I think I would prefer that instead of new dog whistles like DEI if these people just went back to using the N-word. It's what they want. It would end the "oooooh....what is he really saying" debate. 

Favorite Elon Musk Account Goes Full Racist — Biden WH And Others Pound Him

President Joe Biden’s spokesman and others pounded a favorite Twitter/X account of Elon Musk’s when it posted a racist tweet about Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott speaking to reporters about the Francis Scott Key Bridge disaster.

Mayor Scott has been a consistent presence in the news media after the cargo container ship Dali collided with the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, causing the bridge to collapse into the Patapsco River. On CNN, he pleaded with news organizations to stop traumatizing his community by playing video of the disaster on a loop.

One of the disturbing subplots to emerge from the collapse has been conservative commentators leaping to connect the collapse — without evidence — to various right-wing hobby horses, including Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) policies.

Many see attacks like these as poorly-coded racism, but one blue-check X/Twitter account that has been boosted and replied to by Musk — a vocal opponent of “DEI” — dropped the veil completely in a post dubbing Mayor Scott the “DEI Mayor of Baltimore.”

The account @iamyesyouareno wrote to its 276K+ followers, “This is Baltimore’s DEI mayor commenting on the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge. It’s going to get so, so much worse. Prepare accordingly.”

Twitter readers added a Community Note that read, “Brandon Scott was elected as Mayor of Baltimore in 2020 with > 70% of the vote. He did not come in to office through any DEI practices, appointments, etc.”

The post did not reference policy of any kind, and neither did the video clip being captioned — it was simply Mayor Scott wishing prayers for victims and first responders:

Everyone. This is a unthinkable tragedy. We have to first and foremost pray for all of those who are impacted. Those families. I pray for our first responders and thank them. All of them working together, city, state and local, to make sure that we–

Reactions to the post were swift and scathing. Biden White House Senior Adviser Andrew Bates condemned the post, writing:

You’re attacking the mayor of a city suffering a tragedy for saying, “We have to first and foremost pray for all of those who are impacted” and “pray for our first responders and thank them.”

That’s literally the whole clip.

How on Earth could you possibly take issue with this?

Many other prominent users got the message loud and clear. Democratic strategist and Biden ally Chris Jackson wrote, “They are just substituting DEI for the n-word at this point. Disgusting to say the least.”

Media, political, and other figures similarly hammered the account:

Click on the link for more

15 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Maryland police: 'Divers recovered 2 victims' at scene of bridge collapse

At Wednesday evening's press conference in Baltimore, Col. Roland Butler Jr. of the Maryland State Police said that two bodies had been recovered at the site of Tuesday night's collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

Butler said dive teams "made a tragic finding" shortly before 10 a.m., spotting a red pickup truck in 25 feet of water.

"Divers recovered two victims of this tragedy trapped within the vehicle," Butler said.

Butler identified them as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, of Mexico, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, of Guatemala, and said that their families had been notified.

The Baltimore Banner was the first to report that the bodies of two people had been recovered at the scene.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

There was a time when I would have laughed at this too. However, this is 'Muricuh, or at least the 40% of it that decides national/statewide elections nowadays. I've finally made peace with the idea that if this clown is re-elected, the country will A - get what it deserves and B - eventually wake up to the danger from these fascist idiots. As with the civil war, there will be many who suffer without having done anything wrong, but that's just the way things work. I can't control anything other than my own vote, which has been shown to be worth about as much as a free agent signing by Lord Farquaad, i.e., a ham sammich and maybe a bag of chips on a good day.

The complaint asks a federal judge to consolidate claims against the company in U.S. District Court in Maryland and to either find the company not liable at all or to cap its liability at $43 million, which the company claims is the value of the ship and its freight.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, China said:

Just to add on, this includes Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.

If you are a ship that isn't 100% American coming from Asia, you can't stop in Hawaii drop some things off, pick some things up, and then continue on to a port in CA.  And vice versa, you can't leave CA, go to Hawaii drop somethings off and continue onto Asia.  It is estimated that the Jones act costs the Hawaii and Alaska alone over a billion dollars a year.

Edited by PeterMP

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

When we went and were able to see the harbor, the very first thing I said was SECDEF is ****ting a brick. I pointed to the USNS ships now stuck in the harbor and said "those are very important."

Hmm… I thought that was the reason why Norfolk had so many tunnels? So that in the event of a bridge being blown up/destroyed they could still get them out…