Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP Part of Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after large boat collision, sending vehicles into water

Destino

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Well, I guess we’ve found out what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object.

Yep, all of our engineering genius can be destroyed in seconds.

You guys think the engineers tapped for this are secretly thrilled? Not by the tragedy, but by the work. Like I imagine some people went to school forever and figured they’d spend their whole lives working on reasonable projects. Then one day they got a call to move millions of tons of steel from a river, and suddenly they had an absurdly unique and interesting problem to solve. 

2 hours ago, Destino said:

You guys think the engineers tapped for this are secretly thrilled? Not by the tragedy, but by the work. Like I imagine some people went to school forever and figured they’d spend their whole lives working on reasonable projects. Then one day they got a call to move millions of tons of steel from a river, and suddenly they had an absurdly unique and interesting problem to solve. 

I am sure they are. I assume the rebuilt bridge will feature high design and not just utilitarian.  

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I am sure they are. I assume the rebuilt bridge will feature high design and not just utilitarian.  

New design for collapsed Baltimore bridge unveiled

A new design for the collapsed Baltimore bridge has been unveiled.

The first proposal for a replacement bridge sees a wider span and improved clearance height to minimize the chance of collision.

Italian design firm Carlo Ratti Associati (CRA), has worked together with structural engineer Michel Virlogeux and international construction group Webuild on the reconstruction proposal for the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

The expanse collapsed on March 26 when the container ship MV Dali struck one of its piers.

In a proposal letter to the US Secretary of State for Transportation, the Governor of Maryland, and the Director of the Maryland Port Administration, Webuild CEO Pietro Salini wrote: "We at Webuild and our US subsidiary Lane are ready to make ourselves available, to quickly restore this strategic bridge for local mobility.

"We will take part in the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA)’s Virtual Industry Forum for the reconstruction of the bridge, and we are ready to help in any way we can at this stage in the spirit of pro bono service."

The design, which follows a cable-stayed approach, improves several functional characteristics of the old bridge to enhance safety and long-term adaptability.

By enlarging the bridge’s main span from 1,200 ft to 2,230 ft (700 m), the primary support pillars will be situated in very shallow water (a depth of approximately 23 ft), well away from the navigation channel used by large vessels.

The design also increases clearance from 185 ft to 230 ft (70 m), in accordance with the shipping industry’s latest standards and enables the Port of Baltimore to remain a major international harbor in the years to come.

The concept also proposes a larger roadway, with a new lane added in each direction, to accommodate increased vehicle capacity, addressing the high traffic levels across the bridge.

66422858c11ef.image.jpg?resize=990,678

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, China said:

The first proposal for a replacement bridge sees a wider span and improved clearance height to minimize the chance of collision

My money is they want the opening to be bigger, so they can have even bigger (and more dangerous) boats. 

41 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The amount of hate over potential bike lanes on the new bridge is getting nuts here.

Gay woke bridge. 

• Haha 2

On 5/20/2024 at 10:38 AM, stoshuaj said:

Chief, how are things looking from your vantage point now that it’s been moved?

Also, is traffic the nightmare that they initially predicted?  It doesn’t look bad at all on Google driving map.

Traffic is pretty bad on both sides of the harbor, near the tunnels, and a nightmare around rush hour.   Our son lives on the other side of the bridge, about 5 minutes away, and what used to be 15 minute ride to work has turned into an hour, or more.  The only way he can make the ride less painful, is to leave for work around 5:30 am.  

I play in a golf league, on Thursday afternoons, at Carroll Park, which is off of 95, one of the last exits before the tunnel.  It used to take 15-20 minutes to get to the course.

Now it can take 35-40 minutes because the North-bound traffic backs up for miles.   There are a couple of alternate routes, all of which put you through some sketch sections of the city.  I take the beltway instead, and go up Washington Blvd, which is the least sketchy route.  It takes ~ 30-35 minutes now.   

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Larry said:

My money is they want the opening to be bigger, so they can have even bigger (and more dangerous) boats. 

Not so sure how much bigger they can go. The Patapsco channel is ~50 feet (depending on tide) at the bridge.  It’s deeper (~75 feet) under the Bay Bridge but it’s not that deep all the way down to Hampton Roads.  

Iirc, the Dali is a Panamax ship with a draught of ~35 ft.

The chart leaves out “post-Panamax”.  Idk why but I didn’t edit it.  Bigger than that starts getting you into 49.9 ft.  Maybe Chief can answer how much play they need but I’m thinking a little more than .1 ft.

Capacity (TEU) Draft
Ultra Large Container Vessel (ULCV) 14,501 and higher 49.9 ft (15.2 m) and deeper
New Panamax (or Neopanamax) 10,000–14,500 49.9 ft (15.2 m)
Post-Panamax 5,101–10,000
Panamax 3,001–5,100 39.5 ft (12.04 m)
Edited by stoshuaj