Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Is it just me or are we going for the oldest aged roster in 2024 or maybe some cheep name recognition signings scheme to sell tickets. All these guys we have signed seem to have already reached their ceiling.

Bridge signings while they replenish the talent base. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Is it just me or are we going for the oldest aged roster in 2024 or maybe some cheep name recognition signings scheme to sell tickets. All these guys we have signed seem to have already reached their ceiling.

It's a considerable culture change.

You need new guys to develop new values and a new winning culture.

So between the guys we just signed (and I'm the first to admit I hadn't even heard about half of them) and the upcoming draft the FO expects the fanbase to hear the message loud and clear.

I reallllyyyy hope they succeed. 

Now about those uniforms and team name...

3 hours ago, Skins24 said:

lol

Value is set by the owning org. To our organization, what Terry has done, with the circumstances he has had to deal with, is nothing short of a miracle.

The value he brings to this organization is most certainly more than what a second round is worth.

If any team offers that (or equivalent) or less, we have absolutely no incentive to accept, and it would be absolutely foolish to do so.

LOL I said his value was increased to us, over another team, because of a rookie QB and nobody else a couple posts later. Derp

de12saw-563f448e-28ef-40a0-995f-308e56290337.png.e50bb55bda4a0245da5ebc780be5940d.png

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

And who is "old" ... Wagner is the only guy I would consider old at 33. Ertz is 33. Ekeler is "old" for an RB at 28. Fowler is 29. Luvu 26. Biadiasz 26. Ferrell 26. Allegretti 28.

Two guys who are old but good veterans and stopgaps doesn't really scream "oldest roster" esp. when a bulk of our FA additions are mid-20's and we have 9 rookies about to be onboarded.

Over the Cap has updated everything with our recent signings:

Top 51 Cap Space: $49m

2025 Cap Space: $100m

Draft pool (Top 51) is gonna be $10m. So down to $39 in useable cap space. But we won't spend much more, no more than $10m ... so we're likely to go into 2025 with $110+ mil. in cap space. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think they've done a good job of mixing young vets with 30+ guys to both set the locker room tone they want and serve as a bridge to what they likely see as a pretty big wave of rookies over the next couple years.

Armstrong 26

Luvu 27

Biadasz 26

Allegretti 27

Ekeler 28

Reaves 27

Chinn 26

Ferrell 26

Fowler 29

Pittman 27

Davis 29

Igbinoghene 24

Lot of solid young vets there.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oraphus said:

You seem clueless. Not only is he overvalued by the fans... but he was overvalued (and overpaid) by the previous FO.... understandably so since no-one else wanted to play for the sh!tshow of the previous regime.

He is currently the 9th highest paid WR in the NFL https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

I can find at least 5 Wrs making less that I would take over him in a heartbeat. He is a great lockeroom guy, class act and a great 1B, but we need a 1A to help a rookie QB succeed 

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Would be curious to hear which second-contract WRs making less than Terry you'd prefer to have.

what I'm curious about is if this appropriate talk for the forum.  Cause I could be a lot more hostile if that's the case

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Our K and P are fairly old.  Our TE and MLB are fairly old.  Our 3rd down back if getting up their for a RB.

Otherwise most of these guys our football middle aged at worst

• Like 1

*Effective Cap Space for 2024 = our Top 51 draft pool. Same applies to 2025 - that's our projected 2024 draft pool counting in 2025, FYI.

Also interesting to see two teams in "cap hell" this year - the Chargers and Cowboys, both with $$ next year to spend. I guess they opted to take their lumps this year as a bit of a re-set, although the Chargers went from -$16m to $38m in cap space by moving Allen and cutting Williams. Now they've got $38m in cap space, interesting to see them shed well more than they needed to. Also well-positioned next year.

2024 Cap Update:

image.png.039bb58f0e0098f71c14997156a1d99c.png

2025 Cap Update:

image.png.30691fec06e37241319437cfa4a92a26.png

Well, I guess the Patriots are in real good shape. They'll be rolling over $30m or so into 2025 where they'll probably have $140m of cap space after this year's draft pool is added. I don't see how they'll possibly spend that down in any way between now and next year. Not like there's any $30m a year guys to add. Holy smokes.

And Detroit. Probably going to roll $10-15m into $110m next year for $125m in cap space. Again, they've got some guys they can/will likely extend to lower that number, but considering how good they already are, that's insane.

Still, we're very well positioned long-term.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Yeah, we had to fill out the roster and Quinn didn’t care for many of Ron’s guys. He’s brought in people to help him install his systems. We can’t draft a new roster in one year.  This will be about a 3 year process.  We probably aren’t resigning the older players when their contracts is up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Number 2 pick is gonna carry a cap hit of almost 7 Mil by himself this year, so we are gonna need a bit more space than normal to sign the rookie class.

It won't be like when we drafted closer to the middle of the first and guy only cost 3.

50 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think its just you. Not sure what you'd expect as an alternative. Everyone signed right now has at least 4 years in the league, minimum. And half the signings are just depth guys signed for a year. The only real "older" guy is Wagner, unless you want to harp on the age of a back-up QB or a kicker.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Inside Adam Peters’s roster-building strategy with the Commanders

Analysis by Sam Fortier

The benefits of this measured approach are obvious: It creates position flexibility in the draft, where Peters wants to build the roster, and gives Washington motivated players to support those picks, most importantly the quarterback it’s likely to select at No. 2 (or later).

Basically, Peters wants to build a bridge roster for 2024. He’s investing enough to compete but not so much to limit his options in the long term, turning the page on Rivera quickly but not cementing his own cornerstones until the draft. Most of his free agents probably will be gone in the next year or two, with the possible exceptions of defensive end Dorance Armstrong, linebacker Frankie Luvu and center Tyler Biadasz.

Of the 20 signings, just four — safety Jeremy Reaves, receiver/returner Jamison Crowder, swing tackle Cornelius Lucas and defensive end Efe Obada — played for Washington last year. It has been easy over the past week to wonder if Peters preferred to bring back as few of Rivera’s players as possible to reset the culture of the locker room. But one team official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, insisted that wasn’t the case, saying Peters is just trying to build the best team possible.

...But then a glut of veteran safeties flooded the market and weakened the demand for Curl. He ended up signing a two-year deal worth a base value of $9 million and a maximum of $13 million with the Los Angeles Rams. The low figure surprised at least a few league executives and prompted questions about why the Commanders hadn’t re-signed him for that price. In the end, it turns out, Washington never made a formal offer to Curl, according to two people with knowledge of the negotiations.

Ultimately, the team official said, Washington didn’t offer a deal to Curl because it believed veteran Jeremy Chinn would be a “better fit” at box safety for its new defensive scheme. (Chinn, 26, signed a one-year deal worth a base value of $4.1 million.) The official declined to elaborate on the specifics of the new scheme or why Chinn was a better fit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/20/commanders-roster-rebuild/

Can we officially change the name of our new C from Tyler Biadasz to Tyler Badass? Not only is it easier to spell but psychological warfare is half the battle.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wouldn’t say Armstrong, Luvu, Allegretti have hit their peak yet. Armstrong was just a rotational player. Biadasz Is 27? He’s a well regarded center. Chinn is still 26 and was injured I believe. Meanwhile the older guys we signed are one year deals and Eckeler is a great bounce back candidate. I’d also say only Wagner and Eckler are recognizable immediately.

We also have 6 picks in the top 100. We won’t be near the oldest roster.

Edited by Riggo#44

regarding the cap, if we June 1st Wylie we save $4.25 Mil,  Trent Scott would free up $1.25 mil, Shaka Toney just over a million, Tucker Addington just under

We can easily free up a decent amount if we want to sign another player or two

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, MrJL said:

regarding the cap, if we June 1st Wylie we save $4.25 Mil,  Trent Scott would free up $1.25 mil, Shaka Toney just over a million, Tucker Addington just under

Literally I'm certain we can sign anybody we wanted to Right now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Pretty obvious to me that they are waiting on the next wave of FA that will take place after the draft when vets get cut. You can find decent value then - we signed Leno to a 1 year $5m deal after be got cut by the Bears. Also some of the guys available now who will still be available post draft will get more desperate

Edited by method man
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Think Addington is gone soon, given the signing of Ott as LS.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Pretty obvious to me that they are waiting on the next wave of FA that will take place after the draft when vets get cut. You can find decent value then - we signed Leno to a 1 year $5m deal after be got cut by the Bears. Also some of the guys available now who will still be available post draft will get more desperate

The two players I would be looking to sign prior to the draft are Josh Jones (OT) and Josh Reynolds (WR). That would create roster coverage across the board and enable them to truly draft BPA after the first round.

But you're probably right - if they have not signed those 2 guys by now, they likely won't look to sign anyone else until after the draft when the prices are cheap.

Edited by Stoox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Literally I'm certain we can sign anybody we wanted to Right now

people are acting like we're close to done because we want a lot to roll over for next year. 

3 hours ago, oraphus said:

In general I would rate terry as 20-25 best WR in the NFL

2nd + contract

Keenan Allen

Mike Evans

Amari Cooper

Deandre Hopkins

Jacoby Meyers.. maybe

Terry might not be living up to his current cap number.  He doesn't take over games, and he can disappear at times.  A 20+ mil WR should have a bigger impact despite the poor QB play.

However, I think Terry is perfect for our situation right now.  He is a hard worker, with a positive attitude.  With so many star Wrs being divas and head cases and me me me, he is the exact opposite.   Team first.  Does his job without any ****ing and moaning or drawing negative attention to the team.  Even at our lowest points, which have been pretty low.

His cap hit is not prohibitive to us building our team at all.  Over the next couple years, hopefully we are able to add a #1/#2a WR via the draft.  That contract will be modest, and Terry's next deal will hopefully be with us for a little less AAV.  I can see him wanting to stay here to see the rebirth through.  And he will be the perfect #2 wr and mentor to a young WR due to his personality and demeanor.

I don't see any team offering us any package that would make it worth sending Terry packing.

I'd rather have Terry at his cap number than all 5 wrs you listed for a variety of reasons, most importantly the ones I mentioned above.

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

21 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Terry might not be living up to his current cap number.  He doesn't take over games, and he can disappear at times.  A 20+ mil WR should have a bigger impact despite the poor QB play.

However, I think Terry is perfect for our situation right now.  He is a hard worker, with a positive attitude.  With so many star Wrs being divas and head cases and me me me, he is the exact opposite.   Team first.  Does his job without any ****ing and moaning or drawing negative attention to the team.  Even at our lowest points, which have been pretty low.

His cap hit is not prohibitive to us building our team at all.  Over the next couple years, hopefully we are able to add a #1/#2a WR via the draft.  That contract will be modest, and Terry's next deal will hopefully be with us for a little less AAV.  I can see him wanting to stay here to see the rebirth through.  And he will be the perfect #2 wr and mentor to a young WR due to his personality and demeanor.

I don't see any team offering us any package that would make it worth sending Terry packing.

I'd rather have Terry at his cap number than all 5 wrs you listed for a variety of reasons, most importantly the ones I mentioned above.

I wouldn't say he is perfect for our situation but agree that he is not a detriment to a rookie QB or the team and he is the best we got, it can always be worse .... Issue is that while we have Terry under his current contract we will not sign a true 1A type WR because paying 2 wrs 20+ mil per year WILL be a detriment to our cap. Bears seem to be OK with that though since they are paying Allen and Moore 20+ mil each. Time will tell if this was a worthwhile investment. Unless Skins have a plan to bring in someone better.. i dont see him being traded and nobody is stupid enough to give even one 1st rd pick for him. I would shift my focus on finding that Keenan Allen type WR in the draft though. 

• Like 1