Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Dude showed every sign of being utterly toast last year. The RB age cliff is a thing, he passed it, and then you just have to wait for the bomb to go off, as it always does, it happened for Ekeler last year. Don't get the signing at all, but I suppose it's a spackle stop gap because this rookie RB class sucks. Probably a decision to give the new QB 2 adequate floor RB's, but Ekeler, again, totally looks toast. So? I don't really see the point here, at all. 

His YAC would say otherwise. He was a huge safety valve for Herbert last year.  He wasn't brought in to be a workhorse since we have Brob. This signing screams rookie QB at 2.

The point is, the dude creates touchdowns.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's not the point. I would too, but their league wide value is basically the same. Howell isn't demonstrably better to the point where he'd fetch that much more compensation. If Jones goes for a 6th, Howell best case probably fetches a 5th.

Mac  has failed multiple times. Sam has not

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Dude showed every sign of being utterly toast last year. The RB age cliff is a thing, he passed it, and then you just have to wait for the bomb to go off, as it always does, it happened for Ekeler last year. Don't get the signing at all, but I suppose it's a spackle stop gap because this rookie RB class sucks. Probably a decision to give the new QB 2 adequate floor RB's, but Ekeler, again, totally looks toast. So? I don't really see the point here, at all. 

He played with a high ankle sprain most of the year, I’m pumped to see him here and healthy . Worst case, it doesn’t work out and he indeed fell off a cliff and we’re out $5mil… my bet, he’s a lot of fun to watch in B&G next year. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 Free Agency & Trades Thread - OUT: Logan Thomas, Leno, Gibson, Brissett IN: TE Ertz, DE Armstrong, C Biadasz, LB Luvu, RB Ekeler, K McManus, LG Allegretti, QB Mariota
9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I hope some of you have parachutes for the leaps you’re making.

Us signing Mariota is a sign that we’re not drafting a QB at 2?

I’m not saying it’s impossible… but that’s a bit of a stretch.

I'll bet my burnt phoenix bird vs your proposed helping of crow, that we do NOT draft a QB @ #2. 

We are going to move down a few spots, pick up the best LT in the draft....

Mariota was signed to help with Howell 

Howell, with that much-needed OL revamp , is better next year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

If we trade Howell for let's say a 4th, we basically paid $6M to acquire that pick. With the way Peters can draft, it might not be a bad deal. I don't love choosing Mariota as our Vet QB (especially getting a raise from his last contract), but if Brian Johnson likes him, then I have trust.

Edited by Kalu44
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Mac  has failed multiple times. Sam has not

Sam was also a 5th round pick and Mac was 10 overall or something silly like that. People never forget where you came from and often hope they can fix you. The NFL was basically out on Sam before he even got here. I think that matters too. 

Overall I think they have very similar value at this point. 

12 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Or no one wants him. Talk about a confidence crusher.

If true maybe other GMs colluded and led Chicago on pretending to have strong interest, forcing them to keep their ask too high. One GM may swoop in and nab him on the cheap.

Chicago may be well served to hold onto him vs sell him at a discount with the high fail rate of QBs.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Sam was also a 5th round pick and Mac was 10 overall or something silly like that. People never forget where you came from and often hope they can fix you. The NFL was basically out on Sam before he even got here. I think that matters too. 

Overall I think they have very similar value at this point. 

Maybe I over value Sam, but no way Im trading him for a 6th.  I get wanting a vet to mentor our new shinny QB but Sam's potential has to be more valuable than a 6th rounder.

Let Mariota mentor the new QB and Sam.  Many say Sam is destined to be a back up anyway.  Mariota is the perfect mentor for that.

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He won't be cheap.  He's probably going to get one last big deal, and I get the preference for cheap short term contracts this year.  But it's going to be hard to fill in our corner depth chart because of the level of demand for the position.

Might be someone in the second round of the draft for us, but you never want to have to rely on the draft to put out roster fires.  It forces reaches and rookies almost never actually fill in as good starters for the short term anyway.

Yep.  I see us picking up a couple of cheaper vets, maybe one guy like Gilmour and one younger guy that maybe hasn’t really broken out yet (but likely has proven themselves on ST).  Then the draft probably brings 1 or even 2 more, though they won’t (or shouldn’t) be pressed into starting anytime soon.

• CapsSkins changed the title to Official 2024 Free Agency & Trades Thread - OUT: Logan Thomas, Leno, Gibson, Brissett IN: TE Ertz, DE Armstrong, C Biadasz, LB Luvu, RB Ekeler, K McManus, LG Allegretti, DE Ferrell, QB Mariota

Howell is on a cheap rookie contract. We won't get much for him - a 5th at best. I would rather keep him and see how/if he develops than throw him away for a pick that would have less than a 50% chance of making the roster. Don't want to repeat the mistake of trading Humphries for a late round pick used to draft a punter who got cut in camp.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Maybe I over value Sam, but no way Im trading him for a 6th.  I get wanting a vet to mentor our new shinny QB but Sam's potential has to be more valuable than a 6th rounder.

Let Mariota mentor the new QB and Sam.  Many say Sam is destined to be a back up anyway.  Mariota is the perfect mentor for that.

Agree honestly 

50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The type of QB Mariota is has no impact on the type of QB we'll be drafting at #2.

And also his mobility and scrambling ability was always oversold, he’s much closer to Maye as an athlete/runner than Daniels lol

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I hope Chicago gets screwed by the market for Fields quickly drying up, presume because they are asking too much.

I think the combination of having to pick up his 5th year option in May (23 mil guaranteed) and his failure to show that he can be a franchise QB has teams balking at trading for him. Teams just don't see enough in Fields to make a serious financial commitment to him. Even Minnesota and Denver, two teams desperate for a QB won't pony up anything for Fields. Very interesting situation the Bears find themselves in now. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

And also his mobility and scrambling ability was always oversold, he’s much closer to Maye as an athlete/runner than Daniels lol

I think many think of Mariota as a runner because he can't pass. 

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Its about play style. Mariota is a lot closer to Daniels as a player than Maye. You don't bring in a backup that is totally different than who you plan to draft. 

He’s really, really not. His athleticism is closer to Maye than Daniels, he isn’t a run first guy, and he prefers throwing over the middle than on the edges or downfield. He’s pretty far from Daniels, actually, in terms of skillset and play style. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Feels like we haven't made much of an attempt to keep Fuller.  Probably need to get younger at CB, but the depth chart is so unsettled in the secondary, and a ton of teams need corners.  This is going to be difficult to fix.

He's a zone corner rep wise at this stage of his carer and they are likely to play heavy man. They seem to be addressing their needs very methodically so I'd bet corner (s) signings coming.

30 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I hope Chicago gets screwed by the market for Fields quickly drying up, presume because they are asking too much.

Reports out of Chicago are they are not even taking calls on Fields, yet. I believe they implied teams have put feelers out to Poles, but nothing yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Disagree. Mariota rushed for 700+ yards all three years in college, with 15 rushing td's his final year at oregon. Compare that to maye's one season of 698 rushing. It was a big part of mariota's scouting profile

1 minute ago, Bantu said:

Reports out of Chicago are they are not even taking calls on Fields, yet. I believe they implied teams have put feelers out to Poles, but nothing yet. 

They waiting until nobody needs a quarterback anymore?