Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I'm not sure I get your meaning here.

Are you saying that no player ever excepts such a deal or something else?

If it's the former, I would agree that it is a rare occurrence, but when needs and impediments line up it can be a practical option for both parties.

In this case, Bakhtiari's injury history has him facing the likely possibility of forced retirement.

There's no team out there willing to risk a roster spot and the financial obligation it would usually take to get a player of his pedigree, even at a discount.

He needs a desperate team willing to risk his not being able to play at all this year yr oelr perhaps  even ever again, just to have a long shot chance that he might be able to play this year and play well--- enter the Commanders.

The best marriages sometimes involve serendipity, mutual desperation, and a confluence of needs.

Mark Schelref had terrible knees but one of the best RT's when healthy. Washington gave up on him. Ended up playing many years at Denver later on. I like to think anything is possible if you get a shot. Some players are chasing a ring later on in their career and pretty sure but not positive that he already has one.  I would give us a better shot at landing him with this team then recent years if he was not ready to hang up the cleats and healthy. We have the space and a big need.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Is "vet min plus incentives" ever really a thing?

With the cap space they have. It's worth kicking the tires if he's interested IMO. If your medical folks feel like he could go, then you think of it as towards your Rookie QB. It could be an overpay and pray situation. Someone will end up doing that. 

Maybe you get a handful of good starts before for whatever reason you need Lucas to come in. Maybe they real like Coleman but want him to not have to play this year? Maybe Wylie goes down and Lucas is needed over there? Whatever the reason, overpaying on hopes to protect Daniels is not the worst idea. 

8 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Mark Schelref had terrible knees but one of the best RT's when healthy. Washington gave up on him. Ended up playing many years at Denver later on. I like to think anything is possible if you get a shot. Some players are chasing a ring later on in their career and pretty sure but not positive that he already has one.  I would give us a better shot at landing him with this team then recent years if he was not ready to hang up the cleats and healthy. We have the space and a big need.

Stink was a G that became a good player when healthy around other very good players. The team didn't really give up on him. It was a combo of health, team cap issues and Norvulous having the helm of the team. He seemed to always be injured but working through the pain as much as possible having 29 surgeries, 20 on the knees over his 12 seasons (6 with both Washington and Denver). 

If Backtari can still play T at a top level I don't see why they wouldn't be looking at him, assuming they think he can stay healthy. He has however only player 13 games over the past 3 years

• Like 1

There are a few UFL kickers who have had a really great spring. Bring in a few and have a real competition. Thankfully it's a position where they can roll right into an NFL program without needing much recovery and rest. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Dang it. Right after we got rid of all the negative, criminal, abhorrent behavior and bad publicity. 

3 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

There are a few UFL kickers who have had a really great spring. Bring in a few and have a real competition. Thankfully it's a position where they can roll right into an NFL program without needing much recovery and rest. 

It seems like other teams find kicker gems ( that nobody had ever heard of )  quickly and easily. I hope we can finally accomplish it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Dang it. Right after we got rid of all the negative, criminal, abhorrent behavior and bad publicity.

The incident itself occurred whilst he was still with the Jags so shouldn’t be a negative against us. 

10 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Because it is still an accusation, it will be interesting to see what the team does and when they do it.

My guess is he will be on the first flight out of DC. Harris and the FO need to make an example of him. And quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Should have kept Slye (who might still get cut in NE).  I know he was unreliable at times, but he had a booming leg that could connect from anywhere.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Well I think this is the first off the field player issue this regime has had to confront and for once I’m fairly confident we’ll handle it the right way. Been a long time since I could say that . In the past if we faced 10 choices for any situation, with only one being the wrong one it always seemed that’s the one we’d go with every time lol

On a partially unrelated note, the article says the jaguars signed him to a one year 2 million dollar deal.

Why the hell did we think he was worth one year 3.6?

Feels like a significant overpay for a guy who's now bouncing around and made half that much last year.

I really hope his contract isn't guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't think his employment status w/ this team is very secure.

e57ea1a8-4126-41bf-8435-41f9d4716aab_text.gif.c585a909e842279f07bd053210f76cf0.gif

I agree.

Unless all the evidence points to it being a money grab I say cut bait now and it immediately becomes a jaguars problem and it's already in our rear view mirror. 

We don't need this crap right now while we're desperately trying to create a winning culture and McManus isn't even close to being worth the headache.

• Thanks 1