Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

27 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Ertz seems injury prone. I hope we didn't overpay as he has only played 11 games twice in 5 years.

He hasn't played more than 11 in 6 years. He'll be 34 early in the season. Less than 7 YPC with Zona and couldn't crack Lions roster. 

If at least 2 of the 5 mil is incentives I'd say it's an okay deal, nothing to be upset about. But nothing to be excited about either. 

• Like 8

Gentle people of ES, the Ertz signing isn’t designed to be a long term fix or even a definitive focal point of the offense. It was to bring a veteran presence to a room that desperately needed it and a safety valve for the QB in case we aren’t able to secure a younger pass catcher in that type of mold.

He doesn’t need to play 17 games, catch 100 passes or be the best TE in the League. 

• Like 16
  • Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If this dude was running FA, Ertz would be the high mark of the off season.  He'd call it a day afterwards.

Can I please make the argument now that just because you did something doesn't qualify you as an expert and people should pay attention to you?

Please? Please? Please?  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Gentle people of ES, the Ertz signing isn’t designed to be a long term fix or even a definitive focal point of the offense. It was to bring a veteran presence to a room that desperately needed it and a safety valve for the QB in case we aren’t able to secure a younger pass catcher in that type of mold.

He doesn’t need to play 17 games, catch 100 passes or be the best TE in the League. 

I think we understand that to be honest :ols:

42 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He hasn't played more than 11 in 6 years. He'll be 34 early in the season. Less than 7 YPC with Zona and couldn't crack Lions roster. 

If at least 2 of the 5 mil is incentives I'd say it's an okay deal, nothing to be upset about. But nothing to be excited about either. 

Pretty sure the Lions brought Ertz in right before the playoffs as injury insurance. 

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He is there to make installation of the offense easier more than anything I would bet. Especially if they have a rookie QB. He will have s vet TE that knows the system (that everyone else is working on) to ask questions too if need be. Ertz gonna see a lot of 3rd down action and probably not much else. 

Which is smart cause duh, you want all the help you can get. 

• Like 4

The "up to" is pretty deceiving on many of these deals.

My guess, lop off $2.5m from our available cap space. The other $2.5m are in likely to not be earned incentives, and even if they're earned, they'll come off next year's cap.

Every time I have talked about the free agent cycle I say we'll likely sign 5-6 guys in that $5-12m APY range and then several (3-5) 1 year veteran guys to come in and plug holes. This, IMO, falls into the second tier I identified. Yes, it's up to $5m, but realistically it's probably going to be more in the range of $2-3m when all is said and done. I would expect several more signings of this variety, in addition to some "bigger" moves.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

I don’t think so given some of the posts.

It’s a low cost one year deal. The headline number of 5m more than likely misleading. 

Not sure we need too many of these type deals though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The "up to" is pretty deceiving on many of these deals.

My guess, lop of $2.5m from our available cap space. The other $2.5m are in likely to not be earned incentives, and even if they're earned, they'll come off next year's cap. 

Good red zone option too... 

• Like 1

Welcome Zach Ertz. And wife Julie. Who MIGHT be the more accomplished athlete in the Ertz household.  Tough to tell.  The Ertz's have between them have 1 SB, 2 FIFA World cup gold medals and a Olympic bronze medal.  And a kid.  Maybe a cat. Possibly a dog.  Who knows.  

Pretty impressive, regardless.  

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not sure where we ultimately decide to "go cheap vet" v. "long term solutin" in FA ... but this guy would be another "Ertz" type option. 2 year, $10m type deal to stopgap at OC until Stromberg/draft pick (likely future pick) takes over.

This rebuild is gonna be easy at this rate...pro bowlers are falling off of trees. Get Morse right now!

• Like 5