Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

“Team Culture” what do you want our culture to be?

seantaylor=god

“Team Culture” was talked about incessantly under Ron Rivera. We are hearing it mentioned again now by the new front office under GMAP and the new ownership group.

Lets use a standard definition of team culture as: “the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization”

I think we would agree the goal (and ownership has stated this) is to win by building a strong roster over the long term, no shortcuts.

What are some shared attitudes, values, and practices you want to become synonymous with Washington?

For me:

-Commitment to finding, developing, and maintaining advantages over opponents: This would be on the personnel side making moves continuously to find the best players and upgrading at every spot. To look at data to see where we can improve or gain advantage in nutrition, fitness, facilities, new medical treatments, quality of life, travel, happiness, etc. Every aspect, looking for an edge.

For players it’s striving to improve their skill set, fitness, film study, new techniques, etc. I want pros who take pride in everything they do and are passionate about being the best at everything. Weight room, film room, practice field, mental sharpness, emotional health, etc.

-Intelligence: 

For the staff, a commitment to hiring staff who embrace and strive to improve their knowledge and have the innate intellectual ability to do it (overlaps with the other previous but I see that as the “want to” and this is the intellect to do it. Both as far as football level (knowing and understanding scheme, detailed understanding of opponents, ability to maintain composure in game (no dumb penalties),  ability to learn and use new information provided by staff pre game, in game play to play, off season,etc.

-Work ethic:

Non negotiable. People who are fanatical workers. People who are looking for ways to work smarter AND harder than everyone else. Part of this is competitiveness but mostly it is just an internal compass to always do their absolute best and to play every play (or watch every minute of film).

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

Whatever the players say they need it to be to be the most successful.

I'll never forget Dotson the culture needed to be changed after Ron was brought in to change it.

What do the players need or want?  Idk, but does anyone? Does anyone even ask?

easy.....Just WIN Baby.   We need that right now more than anything.  I know Harris and co will redo all our facilities/stadium to state of the art and Peters will begin a top down setting of experts and new world thinkers.   Winning is everything though.

• Thumb up 1

Team Culture starts from the top, look at the winning franchise just within the last 5 seasons… year in and year out their roster changes but the same attitude remains, winning.. it’s expected, it’s demanded (not in a over powering type of way) and it’s executed… Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Eagles, 49ers… so culture starts from the top, down to the field, then on the field…

• Like 2

The biggest thing for me is no favoritism when it comes to players, that, and get guys with high motors that don't take plays off. I'm hopeful that we finally did this when we traded chase young. I would also be ok with having more incentive based contracts. 

• Thumb up 2

It can't just be a "Team" culture, it needs to be an "Organizational" culture.  Improve the fan experience, treat employees with respect, ramp up the community service, stop doing things half-assed (Sean Taylor tribute) and be professional at every level. 

There are quotes from Doug Williams how Rivera didn't change the culture because there was no winning.  I say to Doug Williams, I didn't see a lot of professionalism coming from Doug and his group - you didn't change the culture either.

:229:The Rook 

Edited by The Rook
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Accountability (from players) and Transparency (from coaches and the FO).

Coaches and the FO need to be honest, frank, and consistent in their assessment, praise, and criticisms of their players. Don’t lie to them; don’t sugarcoat things — they’re professionals. On the other side of that, the players have to be held accountable for their actions both on and off the field. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Get rid of these cultural rot players.  Most of them will be gone over the next couple of years.

Replace all of them as soon as you can.

Belichick called them the “undertow players” when he first arrived as a Giant. Players who didn’t buy in the culture change or promoted gossip. Through cuts, trades, and a brutal coaching regime, it took 4-5 years for Perkins, Parcells, and Belichick to turn that team around after the Bill Arnsparger and John McVay years. While those days are long behind us and it’s a different league now, I hope Peters and Quinn adopt a no nonsense, buy-in-or-get-out approach.

As long as the working conditions are good, everyone gives it their best effort, and this franchise stops being a total embarrassment on and off the field, I'm fine with whatever. I'm a fan of this team and I want to see them succeed but ultimately, that's not up to me and I wouldn't even begin to know how to create a solid team culture in the National Football League.